PDA

View Full Version : Does your junkyard allow you in the yard?

kashira kureijii
05-23-2016, 06:06 PM
I once went with my father as a child to a junkyard to pick up this carburetor lid deal. We actually got to go in the back and search around for stuff.

Anyway, lately I have been stopping around junkyards to try and get miscellaneous parts like door panels and stuff for my shell. I keep wanting to go in back because there is a bunch of parts I would like to pick up, and I know a lot of nissans share parts so it would be nice to be allowed in the back, as I know what I am looking for, and junkyard peeps are often not very intelligent with the way they remove shit.

Anyway, none of the yards I have been to allow you in the back, you just have to tell them what you want and they look for it.

I keep hearing everyone talk about junkyard shit like, " i picked up these pulsar clusters and all this swag shit" or " I got what I wanted and picked up this shift knob too".

That sounds totally awesome, I want to go treasure hunting in the junkyard and also look at old cars.

So poll maybe

Does your junkyard allow you in the yard itself?

exitspeed
05-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Some here do and some don't. I scored a mint pignose front lip for $25 at a pick and pull yard by me about 10 years ago. I can't imagine a part like that sitting around a junkyard anymore. I also was able to rebuild my front driver side suspension components from the same car.

lunchmeat
05-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Been a while since I've been to one. Last time I went, they let me in back. Came back later with a box full of bits, guy looks at it, then just says a price. Pay the man and walk out.

I guess it depends on if the yard employs people to do the pulling. The pick and pulls here have a small admission fee, give you a wheelbarrow, and you're off. Most of the stuff has a set price.

feito
05-23-2016, 07:01 PM
Not too sure this thread will take off, but anyway.
I am a junkyard hunter.
I dont know what part of TX you live in, but where I live, I am lucky enough to have at least two huge (hundreds of rows sorted by make) self-service junkyards, a U-pull-IT and a PICK-n-PULL. Both huge yards, both you pay a buck to come in with your own tools, both with very good prices. Although things arent what they used to be. The popularity of 240's has made it really hard for junkyards (especially the cheaper self-service ones) to get their hands on them. I remember back in the 2000's both of these yards used to have a bunch of 240's and they would bring in different ones all the time. Nowadays you get lucky if u see a couple of them, which will stay there for months and will get stripped to the bare chassis. I even got to see two koukis in these yards. And did I mention they're half price sales? Back in the 2000's and maybe even early 2010's they used to have half price sales..... yes, on top of their low prices. Im sure you can imagine the kind of mayhem these event would cause.... I recently asked one of the employees why they werent having any half price sales anymore; he said that the mess and the broken parts everybody would leave behind wasnt worth it. What a shame. Im talking 10 dollar bumper covers, 25 dollar pair of seats, 100 dollar complete engines, 30 dollar complete brake system.
But anyway, I still go every now and then, they still have the lowest prices. Plus their online car inventory list is pretty effective.
There are also a few other smaller pop's yards out there where they'll let you in, but they're always pricier and and their selection is not as good.
Then there's the "you dont get to even take a peek at the cars" yards, wich simply are expensive as hell. I recently found a paint matching rear bumper cover for an '07 car im fixing for a friend at one of these yards so I called to get a price: $250. Hell no thanks! I was gonna have to paint the quarter panel anyway...
So, yeah, Im a junkyard junkie....

andisan
05-23-2016, 08:15 PM
All mine are walk in, well except for one

I always just stroll in like I own the place And look for treasures ;)

Funny thing is that I always end up paying for any little thing I find, (feel to guilty to walk out with that clip) but most of the time they don't charge me for it anyways, I make sure I buy something big so at the end they say I can have it

I'm lucky to have good junk yards in my area

My main one has 3 91 240 and at least 4 300zx

kashira kureijii
05-23-2016, 08:18 PM
Some here so and some don't. I scored a mint pignose front lip for $25 at a pick and pull yard by me about 10 years ago. I can't imagine a part like that sitting around a junkyard anymore. I also was able to rebuild my front driver side suspension components from the same car.

Damn, I need one of them lips.

The junkyard I went to actually had 2 240's from what they told me, one 90 and 1 91. I came by asking if they had a cluster for 91-94, and they were like " auto or manual?" and I was like it doesn't matter . Then the guy told me that someone already took the speedometer out of the 91, and I was like that's fine I just need the tach to convert SOHC to DOHC. He just gave me a blank confused look like he had no idea what I was talking about and said I should try somewhere else.

I mean i sorta can understand why they don't let people in back, while I was waiting for them to check the car out, so derpy guy came in asking if they sold batteries he could use in his dodge srt10 truck. It was a jap car only junkyard :facepalm:

who the hell buys junkyard batteries to actually use? wtf That is like buying used motor oil

Then I had to jump that derpy guys battery when I left cuz it was dead. He only had one battery, the truck was supposed to have 2, there was an empty tray on one side.

Me: "aren't you supposed to have 2 batteries?"
Him: "oh you think so, man?"
Me: " you should just google image search SRT10 engine bay, and see if there is two....""Pretty sure it is, you should pick some up at O-reilly's"
Him: " I would man, but I can't afford no batteries mang"
Me: *stares at limited production viper V10 engine
Him: *tries to start truck literally seconds after I put the cables on
Me: *sighs
What type of dipshit buys are car like that and can't afford batteries and has no mechanical knowledge :picardfp:

If that was the type of person I had to deal with, I probably wouldn't let people into the yard either

That's cool that you guys actually get to go into the yards :-/

exitspeed
05-23-2016, 08:22 PM
I ended up shipping that lip to another member on here (from OH) who used to post a lot and was an OG. He actually drove up and hung our at a party of mine once.

kashira kureijii
05-23-2016, 08:27 PM
I ended up shipping that lip to another member on here (from OH) who used to post a lot and was an OG. He actually drove up and hung our at a party of mine once.

Everyone else gets swag yards except me. I even stopped at the small one in my small hometown, and they acted like no one could go back there, even though it was the same one I had been into when I was a kid.

I don't look like a fuckboi or white trash or anything, I'm always polite and know exactly what I need. I don't think they aren't letting me in cuz I'm young or anything like that.

Its not fair

I need car bros too dammit
I have never actually been close to a 240 I didn't own. I have caught a few glimpses of another one every once and a while, but they aren't really that common around here i guess.

lunchmeat
05-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Wonder if it's a liability thing now. Seems common sense and personal responsibility have gone to shit over the years.
The yard down the road from my folks' place always let me in back, and I was a punk ass teenager then. Course, that was 20 years ago......Fuck I'm getting old.

kashira kureijii
05-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Wonder if it's a liability thing now.

One of the yards did say that someone got hurt and that no one was allowed back there anymore.

This was back when I was 17, and I wanted to get back there so I could buy this ae86 SR5 coupe they had stacked up on a bunch of other cars, ready for crushing.
it was just an SR5 i guess....
Probably is crushed by now :( poor car

lunchmeat
05-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Leave it to stupid people to fuck it up for everyone else.

zerodameaon
05-23-2016, 11:27 PM
Pick n pull and pick ur part are great. Though they lack late model cars. But the places you can't go in the back at have 500 dollar z32 front calipers and 400 dollar s2k start buttons. At pick n pull we used to get whole z32 swaps for 30 bucks.

shawn1331
05-24-2016, 12:40 AM
Theres 4 or 5 near me in Canada that are pick n pull and mad cheap, then theres the guys who charge you out the ass to go pull a maf sensor for $400 and you can't go back there lol...wonder how they make any money.

Highway Riding
05-24-2016, 11:58 AM
yes in Newark NJ

bb4_96
05-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Houston has several pick-a-parts. All LKQ I would bet.

Matej
05-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Everyone else gets swag yards except me. I even stopped at the small one in my small hometown, and they acted like no one could go back there, even though it was the same one I had been into when I was a kid.
Here you go:
http://row52.com/Yards/?YardType=0&Sort=yard&SortDirection=asc&Page=1

They just do not want you to sue them when you get crushed under a Suburban trying to pull that sweet iron block V8.

rawgarage
05-24-2016, 05:49 PM
LKQ ftw...

lunchmeat
05-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Gotta lkq close to me. Half tempted to go up there and snag a some stuff.

kashira kureijii
05-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Here you go:
http://row52.com/Yards/?YardType=0&Sort=yard&SortDirection=asc&Page=1

They just do not want you to sue them when you get crushed under a Suburban trying to pull that sweet iron block V8.

none are close to me.....:wtc::wtc::wtc:

kashira kureijii
05-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Went by the yard cuz it was on the way, and I needed some of them rear side markers. I just acted like I needed a variety of stuff, and they just sorta pointed out some 240's. They had a pretty good amount of 240's there, it was real cool. I got to sorta look them all over. Problem was, they made their one little helper dude take the parts out. He was cool, he didn't really speak english because he was fresh off the boat Thai, but I helped him take the stuff out. I knew the bolt sizes and everything, so he didn't like hate on me or anything. You feel bad, cuz you don't want to make him wait for you, so you can't really go parts hunting.

I'm hoping if I keep being polite, and go back for little things, that they will start to trust me, and let me go back there on my own, and take shit off by myself.

I picked up some marker lights and a shift knob.:)

It was cool to look at all the old 90's jap cars there, like the golden age of jdm, just sitting there in their own little forgotten museum. Some times I wish I could just go there to wander around and look at cars.

I was kicking myself afterwards, because there was I pignose with weeds around it, and I didn't check to see if it had the lip. I kinda want one

http://i.imgur.com/AAW8NDd.gif

Anyway, may'be we should turn this thread into "Post your recent Junkyard Treasure find" thread.

If we do, no one should give out addresses or the names of the yards, because you don't just give away your treasure map man.

Felipe
05-25-2016, 11:45 PM
/\/\/\ Too late, theres already a junkyard thread lol

kashira kureijii
05-26-2016, 05:35 AM
/\/\/\ Too late, theres already a junkyard thread lol

Damn, thought i was on to something there.

cameron92S13
08-30-2016, 11:55 PM
in my town there is only 1 that doesnt let me back, could be my age but who knows. i never really see much at the junkyards in my town (mk3 supras, celica, civics). but there is a place that i know of that is extremely huge, its pretty far from my town but its amazing, there are just lines and piles of Z cars, some in great shape. eventually i plan to make a trip down to dig through it, if they let me.