PDA

View Full Version : How Does One "Adult"?

hanzbrady
05-18-2016, 06:24 AM
I know that Zilvia is an older community so I'm not sure how useful this thread will be to those reading it, however; after reading through some of the threads like "How the hell do people afford houses?!" and various others I realize that some of the people know a lot more than me, especially about being an adult.

Basically I'm making this thread so any of the elder Zilvians could chime in on what they went through when transitioning from their teenage years to adult hood. I know I, and any other 20-something reading through this post could certainly benefit from the information that could be shared here.

Now since there's no distinct topic to start, let's start with credit. How in the hell does it work and how did you start building yours?

lunchmeat
05-18-2016, 07:21 AM
I learned credit the hard way, as no one really explained how fucked you could get if you weren't careful. Took me years to undo the damage of my stupidity and pay off all my debt(multiple maxed out cards with +25% apr). Now my credit score is well into the 700s, and the only debt I have is a mortgage.
I'd recommend getting a low limit card(and hopefully low apr), don't max it out, and pay it off as soon as possible. I think utility and cell phone bills paid on time help as well, but I could be mistaken. Basically show creditors that you're good for the money and pay on time. But stay within your budget.

Goofs
05-18-2016, 07:36 AM
Easy, don't spend what you don't have. I'm 21 and have had a credit card for 2 years, my limit per month is $3K. Can I afford to spend $3K per month? Absolutely not.

hanzbrady
05-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Now if given the chance to do it over again, would you guys still go the credit card route, or would you buy something cheap and finance it to build the credit? I know that some of my friends have done this with cars, but I'm not sure what's a better approach?

KAT-PWR
05-18-2016, 07:49 AM
There are a lot of good books on investing and planning for the future. I'd take a look at some of them. Planning for the future and building credit go hand in hand.

Goofs
05-18-2016, 07:52 AM
Now if given the chance to do it over again, would you guys still go the credit card route, or would you buy something cheap and finance it to build the credit? I know that some of my friends have done this with cars, but I'm not sure what's a better approach?

You could do both as long as you're smart with your money.

I definitely think you should get a credit card, but just use it to buy essentials like gas and groceries. Don't run it up and you won't have a problem paying it off.

As far as car payments, finance something that's in your budget. Debt starts to incur when you start making minimum payments, and interest starts to rack up. Again, it all goes back to what you can afford.

Also don't live paycheck to paycheck. So many people my age set no money aside, kind of scary.

STR8 H8N
05-18-2016, 08:45 AM
its scary how many people in this country live paycheck to paycheck

not bc of what they do for a living

but bc they buy new clothes, new phones, new car parts on the weekly

crzsteveo
05-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Work through college, tell your parents to piss off, pay for everything yourself. Surround yourself with other people who work for the things they have. Don't hang out with bums. Don't hang out with other car people that have there parents pay for their living expenses. Eat pop tarts for breakfast and Tyron's spicy chicken patties for lunch and cheeseburgers cooked on a Forman grill for dinner.

exitspeed
05-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Just be prepared and live within your means. It's not easy I this "me-too" society but resist the temptation and put money away. Best advise for that is have it taken right out of your check and into some sort of investment or savings that isn't easily acceptable.

You never know what life has in store for you. 10 years ago my wife and I were in our 20's, had a six figure household income, a beautiful house and we were living within our means and saving money. Then the recession hit. My wife was a top real estate agent in WI, she weathered the storm for two years and then it was like a switch just shut off on her income. I worked for the real estate company's corporate office and I got laid off. We got put in check real quick. Sold the house ( we were one of the luckily few who didn't lose their ass selling at the time. Broke even) and moved on with our lives. Shortly after we sold and we had our second child, they were both diagnosed with a very rare life threatening illness. Our lives were turned upside down and we had no idea what the future had in store. We moved to a really small rental in a crappier area, reset our careers, worked our asses off, and made lots of sacrifices.

Our careers got back on track (I shifted mine entirely to what I actually went to school for), and we started saving and saving. We were able to buy a house again and our incomes are significantly better than they were before the crash.

That was the short version, sans the tragic death of my mom and best friend.

Moral of the story is, you never know what life has in store. Everyone has challenges in life, challenge builds character and character is far more valuable than money.

Dutchmalmiss
05-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Ah, life. Adulting. Comes in all shapes and sizes.

I JUST turned 30, and I guess by default I sort of just recapped everything that I've gone through up to today. Learned a lot:
- Credit's definitely a bitch. Keep the balance as close to 0 as much as possible. Revolving balance shouldn't hover at more than 30% your limit.
- Once you surpass $45k/year salary, maintain your lifestyle as if you make less. Rewarding yourself is good, but don't do so habitually.
- Stop piling on new hobbies. Simplify, focus, and feel the rewards at excelling at fewer hobbies.
- Death sucks. Don't let it consume you. Let it shape your strength.
- Even if you can only think of a cliche at the time, always give advice when needed. You never know who'll think you're a hero.
- Don't ever compare your progress in life to anyone else's.
- Happiness is really a great balance of giving a fuck and not giving a fuck. Once you find that, there's no life better than yours.

There's probably more I can come up with, this is just a tip of the iceberg, but then again I'm probably going deeper/beyond the OP's initial inquiry. Not necessarily the most direct advice for saving for a house or so, but sometimes the fundamentals are what people forget about the most.

ryandriftingfat
05-18-2016, 10:34 AM
My advice.

#1 Do not get anyone pregnant. Fuck your family and friends who pressure you to have a kid until you can support a family.
#2 The only thing you should go into debt for is school or a house.
#3 Always earn more than you spend.

18-25 go to school and get whatever job you can to pay for necessities, then start trying to work on the side doing what you want to be doing so you can gain some experience, extra cash and industry contacts. 40 hour work weeks are a suggestion, you have like 120 waking hours available.

Once you're making a steady income you can afford to start putting away money for investment. Pay off your student loans. Then once you can max out a Roth and contribute a chunk of you income to other retirement sources AND still have money leftover, then you can start to have fun. Buy a house, build a pro am car or start a family.

I took 5 years off from the hobby I love dearly to get all my shit in order. It sucked, but it was worth it.

ZenkiKid
05-18-2016, 11:15 AM
My advice.

#1 Do not get anyone pregnant. Fuck your family and friends who pressure you to have a kid until you can support a family.
#2 The only thing you should go into debt for is school or a house.
#3 Always earn more than you spend.

18-25 go to school and get whatever job you can to pay for necessities, then start trying to work on the side doing what you want to be doing so you can gain some experience, extra cash and industry contacts. 40 hour work weeks are a suggestion, you have like 120 waking hours available.

Once you're making a steady income you can afford to start putting away money for investment. Pay off your student loans. Then once you can max out a Roth and contribute a chunk of you income to other retirement sources AND still have money leftover, then you can start to have fun. Buy a house, build a pro am car or start a family.

I took 5 years off from the hobby I love dearly to get all my shit in order. It sucked, but it was worth it.

#4 Get a credit card ASAP. Of course dont be stupid with it. I made this mistake of not getting one until finishing college and with my student loan needing to be paid back my debt-to-income ratio was fucked. I had to roll with a secured CC with a low limit for almost a whole year before I got my credit score/history good enough to get a decent card.
#5 set up a retirement plan as young as possible. The earlier you start accruing the sweeter your retirement will be at the end of the road. Who knows, maybe youll be able to even retire young.
#6 in terms of employers, get EVERYTHING in writing. They could sweet talk you into hopping on board but once you get in they deny all that is said.

rawgarage
05-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Be a Man. work for yourself. Make money with your friends, not off them. pay what you owe

Goofs
05-18-2016, 11:45 AM

- Happiness is really a great balance of giving a fuck and not giving a fuck. Once you find that, there's no life better than yours.

This .

Bluejayde
05-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Now if given the chance to do it over again, would you guys still go the credit card route, or would you buy something cheap and finance it to build the credit?

There are two kinds of credit, secured and unsecured. Secured is when you have something to borrow against, like a car or a house. If you don't pay the lender takes your stuff. Unsecured is a credit card- there's nothing backing the loan. You will need both as an adult.

How to build credit(secured)- save up enough to buy a cheap car in cash, then put the cash into a savings account. Get a loan for the car and have payments pull automatically from the savings for at least six months. Then pay the loan off. You'll lose a little money in interest but gain credit.

How to build credit(unsecured)- Get a credit card with a low limit, and low interest if you can. Make a budget and figure out how much your monthly expenses are. Set that amount aside in a checking account. Pay your monthly expenses with the credit card, then IMMEDIATELY pay off the credit card. This looks extremely good to creditors.

PROTIP: Get a credit card that pays you a percentage back for certain purchases, or give you airline miles for money spent, or whatever serves you best. Pay for everything on the credit card, but always have the money set aside to pay it off. Instead of you paying the credit card company to use their credit, THEY'RE PAYING YOU to use the card.

simmode1
05-18-2016, 11:57 AM
If you're going to get a credit card, get one that works in your favor - like something that gives you airline miles or cash back as you use it. But yes, use it on essentials like gas, groceries, monthly bills and pay that ish off with the money you were already setting aside for those bills anyway. Do NOT use your credit card for frivolous random crap, IMO.

If you're going to enslave yourself working for a corporation - get into their 401k like yesterday, especially if they match. The earlier you start, the better.

And this is just me projecting but - Stop eating out so much! Sit down and add up how much you spend on eating out versus making your own meals. In my case, it was easily enough to finance whatever car I wanted or pay for any build project. Money literally shit away down the toilet.

Just for starters.

Bluejayde
05-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Regarding retirement- If your employer has benefits, check to see if they have a percentage that they match in your 401K. For me it's 3%. I put 3% in my 401K every paycheck BEFORE taxes, and they pay 3% in too. That's free money!!! Everytime you get a raise, increase your contribution by 1%. You won't even notice the money gone.

Several people mentioned living below your means- YES! When I get my paycheck I "pay myself" the amount I made when I was still in college; I lived off it then, I can live off it now. Everything else goes to savings, investments, or paying off loans.

Is this fun? No, it sucks. It's hard to learn this stuff and it's hard to have self-control. But when you watch your loans going down and your savings and retirement going up, and you know you're gonna be ok even if something bad happens... it's worth it.

Also I don't have kids so I do whatever I want and it's awesome. :)

Edit: Simmode beat me to it... Yeah, eating out killed my budget in college. I was spending half my check on eating lunches out. If I'd have packed a lunch every day I would've had $0.0 student loans.

ManoNegra
05-18-2016, 12:04 PM
In my 20s and early 30s I'd spend a good chunk of my income on cars
I'd max out my credit, spend a year or so paying off credit cards and repeat the cycle
I'd pay bills past their due date out of pure laziness
I thought I had good credit since I my bills but didn't have an idea what my score was

It took my mom passing away in 2006 to make me reassess my life
I focused on paying off all my debt: credit cards, school loan, etc.
Stopped using credit cards altogether and started saving my money
I eventually bought a house and got out of cars
I can't justify throwing away money on cars anymore specially after I realized I wasn't having fun anymore

My advice to you would be to:
- live within your means
- don't try to impress anyone: the people you think are balling are usually deep in debt and
extended beyond their means.
- modifying cars should be fun, not a chore: if you modify cars, have a place to store it and get
a daily you can rely on and not mess with.
- pay off all your debt and use cash to by whatever you need/want
- start saving for a house/retirement/etc. as soon as possible

Future240
05-18-2016, 12:11 PM
I prioritize everything. My s14 currently sits with a low compression KA in my moms yard. It has been there for almost 6 months now. I have had the money to drop in an SR/RB25. However I chose to spend it on buying a house.

Afterwards I got some more money from taxes. Again I could have swapped the car, but the house needed things, kid needed things, I chose to wait longer. I had a WTB up for an S14 SR then some things happened I needed to address so I stopped bumping those too.

I will eventually get it back on the road. I cannot justify spending that much on a depreciating asset when I have other more important things to worry about.

That is how I "Adult".

TheRealSy90
05-18-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm 25 and roommate with two random 21/20 year olds to keep it cheap and spend all my money on my 240.
I still sleep (barely) on an air mattress cause I can't talk myself into buying a real bed since they're "expensive" in my eyes, but have no problem throwing down 2 grand on wheels for my car that isn't even drivable yet since it needs to be tuned...

I really suck at adulting.

jamg
05-18-2016, 12:41 PM
editediteidt

hanzbrady
05-18-2016, 01:35 PM
I just want to take a moment and appreciate everyone for the responses here.

I also just wanted to say that any advice could be shared, just because I started the thread doesn't mean just my specific problems need to be addressed. I want this thread to be a basic outline on the coming of age process that everyone struggles with in various ways.

Again thank you to everyone for your contributions.

simmode1
05-18-2016, 04:58 PM
I'm 25 and roommate with two random 21/20 year olds to keep it cheap and spend all my money on my 240.
I still sleep (barely) on an air mattress cause I can't talk myself into buying a real bed since they're "expensive" in my eyes, but have no problem throwing down 2 grand on wheels for my car that isn't even drivable yet since it needs to be tuned...

I really suck at adulting.
Not saying you should do this... But if I was your age, single with no kids, knowing what I know now... I'd buy a 2-3 bedroom condo and rent the other 2 rooms out at the market rate, which will likely be higher than your mortgage+PMI & might net you a profit if you play your cards right. Live rent free and travel often.

lunchmeat
05-18-2016, 05:16 PM
Depending on the local market, it might be a pain to sell a condo/townhouse. It took us 8 years to finally get rid of ours. And having two mortgages sucks, even after renting out the other place. And when we did sell it, we had to sell at what we owed on the place, so at least we broke even. And don't even get me started about renters who skip out on their rent. Had one guy just up and leave, owing 4 months rent and a shitload of repairs after his cat shat all over the place, ruined carpet and wood floors, a busted water heater that was never reported, drug paraphernalia and beer cans everywhere. Even after eviction and hiring a collections agency to find the guy, we still haven't seen that money. $3k in back rent just gone.

simmode1
05-18-2016, 05:21 PM
^^^Yeah, it can be difficult to execute. Gotta find quality tenants for sure.

lunchmeat
05-18-2016, 05:36 PM
^^^Yeah, it can be difficult to execute. Gotta find quality tenants for sure.
We had one renter who's mother kept complaining about things at the place. She didn't live there, nor was her name anywhere on the contract. He wasn't bad, but when his girlfriend moved in with him, that heifer wrecked the place. Seemed no one ever taught her how to properly use a toilet. Overflowing multiple times to the point of sheetrock replacement. Then there was the drifter who disappeared. Our last tenants were great and stayed there for years.

TheRealSy90
05-18-2016, 05:45 PM
Unfortunately my income isn't dependable enough for me to comfortably commit to any sort of payments :( I make decent money when I'm working, but it's an "on call" position (army contractor) so sometimes I don't have work for a week to two months at a time. Which is havoc on my savings cause bills don't care. 2014 my first year I worked full time with tons of overtime, and it's been less each year since then. Just the nature of a job dependent on military spending I guess. The whole economy here is held up by military personnel, and unfortunately War = Money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbs
05-18-2016, 07:18 PM
Protip - No one has a clue, we all figure it out as we go and try to make it seem like we know what we're doing. You can get all the advice in the world but you're going to see if the stove really is hot...at least once.

Take (calculated) risks, have fun.

rawgarage
05-18-2016, 07:37 PM
Just don't get on the hamster wheel of relying on a job for your income....gotta figure out a way to make money outside of that 9-5 formula....you can do it...others have...so why not you

KiLLeR2001
05-18-2016, 07:39 PM
I've thought about "adulting" recently, but I think I'll just buy another car instead.

Juantwo3
05-18-2016, 09:44 PM
I started "adulting" at a young age watching my mom struggle to keep us going was a lesson in itself, i like my young parents had a child at 18 i have always been working and understood the need for money but no one explained "credit" until i had relized that i had fucked myself. Not just financially but legaly as well i was selling "Thizz" on a large scale and got busted spent some time in jail re evaluating my life and i couldnt help but think that everything my mom worked for i destroyed in a matter of hours. I had some money saved so i got a really good lawyer and manged NOT to get deported, probation really set me back all my friends where doing so good going to collage and i was stuck working under the table at a repair shop working for pennys and paying off a massive fine all while trying to provide for my son. Shure enough that lit a fire under my ass and it made me adapt to the situation i put myself in i learned the game and planned my next steeps over the next 5 years.

Sure enough i stuck to it and im better then. I have ever been, i own a very succesful business and i am happy. I have 2 boys a place to live and i get to do what i love and at 25 i personally feel im doing very good, and i am setting steps to the next level.

In reality theres no book to becoming an adult, there will be things that take place in your life that will sculpt you into the adult you will become you wont even notice you will just look back one day and say "fuck its been a long time"

zombiewolf513
05-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Stay on top of your property taxes. Don't buy anything if you can't pay for it in full unless absolutely necessary. Don't let another man make your decisions for you.

ZenkiKid
05-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Not saying you should do this... But if I was your age, single with no kids, knowing what I know now... I'd buy a 2-3 bedroom condo and rent the other 2 rooms out at the market rate, which will likely be higher than your mortgage+PMI & might net you a profit if you play your cards right. Live rent free and travel often.

If I were single I would do this. 100000000%.

If it was going really well I would probably buy another condo too and rent that one out completely.

STR8 H8N
05-19-2016, 06:13 AM
never adult

yolo

simmode1
05-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Just don't get on the hamster wheel of relying on a job for your income....gotta figure out a way to make money outside of that 9-5 formula....you can do it...others have...so why not you
YES! Most of us let live pass us by because we're chained to a desk 9-5. You have to find alternate streams of income. My wife and I are testing the waters of Forex trading right now...

CrimsonRockett
05-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Protip - No one has a clue, we all figure it out as we go and try to make it seem like we know what we're doing. You can get all the advice in the world but you're going to see if the stove really is hot...at least once.

Take (calculated) risks, have fun.

Pretty much.

Being an "Adult" isn't very difficult. People sometimes just make it feel that way.

You have X expenses. You make X income (monthly average if commission based). Set a goal of how much you need to set aside monthly for a "rainy day". Trust me, you'll have one. Give yourself some play money. Treat yourself (within reason).

As others have mentioned, the biggest problem people have is spending what they don't have. Learn how to separate wants from needs. Sure, you want that $200 pair of sneakers, but do you really need them?

I remember being 20 years old, owning multiple cars, having an insane stash of parts, but being broke (no debt, just a couple hundred dollars in my accounts). I reassessed my situation, got rid of everything I didn't need, kept my one S13 (personal reasons), and bought my first house at 23.

Never stop learning new things. If you lose your job, can you easily find one elsewhere? With the right set of skills, you can.

I had the pleasure of working in a high net worth area. Mostly retired folk or young guys/gals in the tech industry. The stories I heard, the advice I received, it all helped shape who I've become today.

Now, my girl and I clear six figures, we both hold steady jobs (she's salaried, I'm commission based) we live well within our means, we owe very little, we have enough funds for a "rainy day" to live off of for several years, and are currently in the market for our second home with plans of renting out our current one.

You have to take (calculated) risks in life in order to succeed.

Or, win the lottery and forget everything I just said.

Silverbullet
05-19-2016, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about credit. Do what it takes to increase your income.
In terms of increasing credit, its simple. Put all your expenses on a credit card and pay it each month.

There are different ways to live your life.

You can learn to just survive by watching mainstream media/news convincing you that everything is at a scarcity and that your credit is everything, or you can learn to thrive- get whatever you want out of life.

Learn to invest in yourself. Read/listen to books, attend conferences and seminars.
Meet mentors. Everyone I know that is successful has had mentors that taught them whatever business they are in.
Experiment. Don't be afraid to looks stupid or what others will think. I know its easier said than done

Good luck. Don't limit yourself.

Looks like you're on the right track by learning to invest in yourself by seeking mentors on Zilvia, but there are better communities for this.

BossHogg
05-19-2016, 11:03 AM
It's not hard. You basically run your life like you yourself are a business. Sad thing to say, but the world is money. Nothing more. You take your income and live within your means. Don't fall for the cookie cutter american life style. You don't need to get married/kids in your 20's. That is the worst possible plan a person can do.

Get out their and experience shit on your own before you tie yourself down. Get yourself established and what not. Me personally, I would want to make sure I have stable means of living and available time before I bring a child into the world.

Honestly, I recommend to stay single and don't have kids. Women are one of the worst investments you can make as a young man (vice versa for women, but you all usually don't pay for shit lol). Love changes and best friends become strangers. Focus on yourself. Once you hit a point of establishment, then think about "settling" down. If you are just "dating" for the sole purpose of dating, then you are wasting your time and money. Been their done that, bought a t shirt. Learned that lesson.

Financially, I started slow. The first step is the hardest, it gets easier as you prove to yourself you can do it. Set goals. First things first. I made 5g my "0 point" (basically, your "oh shit" money). If I had $5,001 in my bank, then I only had 1 dollar. I used extra income to pay for life and mostly pay off loans. But never go under the 0 point. Once you get out of actual monthly payments and loans paid off etc, you open up yourself financially.

That is when I started to raise my "0 point". Made it 10 grand. Now that is a pivotal part of saving in my opinion. For the sole reason that you gain that 5th digit. It feels good. You have another number on your statement. Which guess what, makes it easy to keep at least 10g because you don't want to see it turn to a 9 and lose that extra digit. So lets say 10g is the 0 point. I want sweet turbo or something. Well I would have to have 13g before I could buy it so you can cover the spread of not going under the 0 point.

Now, once you hit your new "0 point" limit, I would immediately start to the next. Go up 5 grand each time. But I would still buy fun stuff because you have to live a little. It's not like you have to strictly save at ALL times lol. But keep moving forward even if its a little bit slower because you bought wheels, couch, entertainment center etc.

Once you go through the routine once or twice, you will see that it is easy to save. You start to get close to your new 0 point and it motivates you to reach it. Just keep moving up and up. 20g, 30g, 40g, 50g etc. People may look at my build thread and most likely think I blow all my cash on car stuff lol. They would be wrong. I could buy everything in that thread over again in cash right now. Once you start to hit actual good levels of money, you can reward yourself better. My GTR was a legitimate impulse buy. I bought that thing while I was taking shit on the porta potty at work. Just scrolling through facebook on my cell phone lol.

I understand I have unique job and lifestyle. My job pays well. I started my own rig truck and business. I am the owner and only employee. I have been to 31 states in the last 5 years. Traveling, working, building America. I have no kids(that I know of, don't you judge me) I have no wife. There is one thing I have learned, don't ever stop your path in life over a woman. It's hard fellas I know. But sometimes you have to let them go and keep going forward. I promise you, I have fallen in love in every city I've been to. There is no shortage of women. She is not the "one and only". That is an emotion. Emotions are temporary but highly influential. Don't get trapped in it if you know it doesn't feel right.

Now I'm not saying marriage and kids are terrible lol. Don't get me wrong. I love kids. All my friends kids call me uncle etc. I'm just saying, don't get caught up in it if you are not 100%. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT fellas. If you're only 80%, then you are wasting your time and money. Those are full time investments. It's all or nothing with me or it's simply not worth it. This is America, men get the short stick when it comes to divorce and child support etc. Keep that in mind.

All of this stuff could be talked about in deeper dialogue, but I don't want to type a novel. I just hit the gist of it. Life is very circumstantial and wont be the same for everyone.

TheRealSy90
05-19-2016, 11:07 AM
I've currently been having a hard time deciding whether I should get my CDL, or finish my drift car this year.

My drift car only needs the power steering setup finished, get tuned, and get the paint and body work done.
Or I can spend that same 4 grand, go to the CDL school here, and basically have a guaranteed CDL which would open up job opportunities and maybe allow me to move to Phoenix and be closer to the drifting scene. But that means I probably won't get my drift car finished this year.

Honestly I know which decision is the "right" one... I just miss drifting my car so much :'(

ryandriftingfat
05-19-2016, 11:30 AM
What kind of return on investment will that drift car get you? How about the CDL?

The choice is obvious.

STR8 H8N
05-19-2016, 11:39 AM

stranger roommates :picardfp::picardfp::picardfp:

simmode1
05-19-2016, 11:49 AM
^^^I'd aim for acquaintances actually... Responsible school friends, church members, whatever social construct/group you find yourself in... etc.

TheRealSy90
05-19-2016, 11:58 AM
What kind of return on investment will that drift car get you? How about the CDL?

The choice is obvious.

Yeah I know lol.

^^^I'd aim for acquaintances actually... Responsible school friends, church members, whatever social construct/group you find yourself in... etc.

Yeah renting to your best friend sometimes isn't the best idea haha.

STR8 H8N
05-19-2016, 12:21 PM
what he meant to say was buy a duplex

hanzbrady
05-19-2016, 02:22 PM
It's not hard. You basically run your life like you yourself are a business. Sad thing to say, but the world is money. Nothing more. You take your income and live within your means. Don't fall for the cookie cutter american life style. You don't need to get married/kids in your 20's. That is the worst possible plan a person can do.

Get out their and experience shit on your own before you tie yourself down. Get yourself established and what not. Me personally, I would want to make sure I have stable means of living and available time before I bring a child into the world.

Honestly, I recommend to stay single and don't have kids. Women are one of the worst investments you can make as a young man (vice versa for women, but you all usually don't pay for shit lol). Love changes and best friends become strangers. Focus on yourself. Once you hit a point of establishment, then think about "settling" down. If you are just "dating" for the sole purpose of dating, then you are wasting your time and money. Been their done that, bought a t shirt. Learned that lesson.

Financially, I started slow. The first step is the hardest, it gets easier as you prove to yourself you can do it. Set goals. First things first. I made 5g my "0 point" (basically, your "oh shit" money). If I had $5,001 in my bank, then I only had 1 dollar. I used extra income to pay for life and mostly pay off loans. But never go under the 0 point. Once you get out of actual monthly payments and loans paid off etc, you open up yourself financially.

That is when I started to raise my "0 point". Made it 10 grand. Now that is a pivotal part of saving in my opinion. For the sole reason that you gain that 5th digit. It feels good. You have another number on your statement. Which guess what, makes it easy to keep at least 10g because you don't want to see it turn to a 9 and lose that extra digit. So lets say 10g is the 0 point. I want sweet turbo or something. Well I would have to have 13g before I could buy it so you can cover the spread of not going under the 0 point.

Now, once you hit your new "0 point" limit, I would immediately start to the next. Go up 5 grand each time. But I would still buy fun stuff because you have to live a little. It's not like you have to strictly save at ALL times lol. But keep moving forward even if its a little bit slower because you bought wheels, couch, entertainment center etc.

Once you go through the routine once or twice, you will see that it is easy to save. You start to get close to your new 0 point and it motivates you to reach it. Just keep moving up and up. 20g, 30g, 40g, 50g etc. People may look at my build thread and most likely think I blow all my cash on car stuff lol. They would be wrong. I could buy everything in that thread over again in cash right now. Once you start to hit actual good levels of money, you can reward yourself better. My GTR was a legitimate impulse buy. I bought that thing while I was taking shit on the porta potty at work. Just scrolling through facebook on my cell phone lol.

I understand I have unique job and lifestyle. My job pays well. I started my own rig truck and business. I am the owner and only employee. I have been to 31 states in the last 5 years. Traveling, working, building America. I have no kids(that I know of, don't you judge me) I have no wife. There is one thing I have learned, don't ever stop your path in life over a woman. It's hard fellas I know. But sometimes you have to let them go and keep going forward. I promise you, I have fallen in love in every city I've been to. There is no shortage of women. She is not the "one and only". That is an emotion. Emotions are temporary but highly influential. Don't get trapped in it if you know it doesn't feel right.

Now I'm not saying marriage and kids are terrible lol. Don't get me wrong. I love kids. All my friends kids call me uncle etc. I'm just saying, don't get caught up in it if you are not 100%. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT fellas. If you're only 80%, then you are wasting your time and money. Those are full time investments. It's all or nothing with me or it's simply not worth it. This is America, men get the short stick when it comes to divorce and child support etc. Keep that in mind.

All of this stuff could be talked about in deeper dialogue, but I don't want to type a novel. I just hit the gist of it. Life is very circumstantial and wont be the same for everyone.

Hey could I actually PM you about your job? I know you're a welder and I'm kind of interested.

simmode1
05-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Yeah I know lol.

Yeah renting to your best friend sometimes isn't the best idea haha.

what he meant to say was buy a duplex
There are ways to do it. My wife lived in a condo her mom bought before I met her. She was a flight attendant and rented out the other rooms to other flight attendants at reduced rates (but still greater than the mortgage) because who wants to pay full price for an apt when you're there maybe 7 days out of the month? They're hardly ever there, but when they are, they just need a place to put their luggage and sleep. 3bdrm, 2 baths and each of the 2 spare bedrooms had 2 bunk beds in it - meaning 4 ppl per room. 8 paying & responsible flight attendants passing like ships in the night. Probably never more than 3 or 4 were ever there at a time. Really common among flight attendants & her experience was relatively problem free. They call them Crash Pads. Only reason she stopped is because she got relocated to a base in another state & she didn't feel like commuting from state to state.

No idea if it was legal though... lol... I don't wanna hijack the thread so I'll stop on this issue right here.

STR8 H8N
05-20-2016, 06:14 AM
There are ways to do it. My wife lived in a condo her mom bought before I met her. She was a flight attendant and rented out the other rooms to other flight attendants at reduced rates (but still greater than the mortgage) because who wants to pay full price for an apt when you're there maybe 7 days out of the month? They're hardly ever there, but when they are, they just need a place to put their luggage and sleep. 3bdrm, 2 baths and each of the 2 spare bedrooms had 2 bunk beds in it - meaning 4 ppl per room. 8 paying & responsible flight attendants passing like ships in the night. Probably never more than 3 or 4 were ever there at a time. Really common among flight attendants & her experience was relatively problem free. They call them Crash Pads. Only reason she stopped is because she got relocated to a base in another state & she didn't feel like commuting from state to state.

No idea if it was legal though... lol... I don't wanna hijack the thread so I'll stop on this issue right here.

is op a flight attendant?

hanzbrady
05-20-2016, 06:33 AM
is op a flight attendant?

No, but I do travel for work. Like I said any information is helpful whether it's relevant to my exact situation or not.

zeitgeist
05-20-2016, 10:15 AM
Find a spouse with an education and strong work ethic

STR8 H8N
05-20-2016, 11:37 AM

:naughty::kiss:

lunchmeat
05-20-2016, 02:15 PM
I did. Seriously, she's a walking encyclopedia set. Bad news is she's a public school teacher and they don't make shit around here. Which is why I'm busting my ass to get certified in info sec. Land a job in that and I double my yearly income.

supersayianjim
05-21-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm 33, soon to be 34. I don't have any kids and I will keep it that way. so I have to fuck older chicks that have there plumbing fixed or already have the baby-bug out of their system.

I recommend getting a woman who is older and already established, you need atleast 1 reliable chick to have in life wheither the main chick or the only chick.

these bitches nowadays only care about justifying being a cow and popping out babies. taking this advice you will avoid a divorce and a bitch cleaning you out earlier on in life.

remember, if you think you have had some good pussy, there is better. don't let her trap you that way.

exitspeed
05-22-2016, 04:37 PM
I just bought a baby grand piano. Pretty much the most grown man thing I've done.

voiddweller
07-20-2016, 01:41 PM
I don't post much, but I read a few really good pieces of advice in this thread so I'll add a few that I've learned over the decades:

1. As stated previously, staying out of debt and only spending what you earn is sound advice, but it's a tough lesson
2. Take good care of your health, especially your teeth and gums
3. You can't take care of anyone unless you take care of yourself
4. Apply for credit early and pay it off every month
5. Start saving at least 10% of your weekly income for retirement as early as possible
6. Build a 3-6 month buffer to cover all your 'needs' before spending money on 'wants' and never touch it unless you lose your primary source of income
7. Enjoy life and find your balance between planning and spontaneity
8. Incorporate a form of passion in what you do for work and life
9. Never rely on anyone or anything for your happiness - it comes from within
10. Most material things can be replaced, but a life can not