PDA

View Full Version : Military stationed in California register out of state?

C10Hakosuka
05-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Hello everyone! I had a question on registering my car out of state. I'm due for new tags this month and really do not want to register my car in California. I lived in Japan my whole life so not entirely sure how all of this works. I have some family in North Carolina willing to let me use their address but my main concern is would I have to drive all the way to NC? People I work with tell me for most states they allow over the phone with military so I'm just wondering how to go about that Google doesn't seem to help much and everyone shrugs when I ask them about it. Thank you.

Whtsr240
05-06-2016, 12:18 PM
It all depends on what state your are trying to register it in. For example my buddy who is stationed here in CA with me got his car registered in VA and it was all done over the phone and just had to fax some paper work to them and in a couple weeks he had his plates. So if your trying to reg. It in north Carolina I'd go to there DMV web page and see what it says about military. And if you can't find it just call them and ask what do you need to do to reg. It their.. hope that helped.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Rovch
05-06-2016, 08:04 PM
You can keep your car registered out of state as a military member as far as CA regulations go. What is your state of residence?

dr_
05-06-2016, 08:59 PM
I just recently registered my car out of state. Whatever your home of record is (I'm assuming NC), call a DMV there and ask them the process. The process for my state was pretty easy. All I had to do was have a LEO sign a VIN inspection sheet (I used a base cop, they're were super chill, only looked at the VIN on my dash and signed the paper) mail them that, the title, proof of insurance/license, pay the registration with a credit card and they mailed me plates. You will have to have CA insurance however.

I'm not sure your of your state laws, but I didn't even need a license for my home state. I opted to get a CA license because it is required to ride a motorcycle in state, regardless of military status.

No smog, no bumper laws, no engine swap laws.. I can pretty much taxi a Boeing down the road as long as the VIN matches the title. Not to mention I can register my car for two years at a time at nearly half the cost CA charges for a single year.
And I don't need that whack ass front plate.

Rovch
05-06-2016, 09:07 PM
I just recently registered my car out of state. Whatever your home of record is (I'm assuming NC), call a DMV there and ask them the process. The process for my state was pretty easy. All I had to do was have a LEO sign a VIN inspection sheet (I used a base cop, they're were super chill, only looked at the VIN on my dash and signed the paper) mail them that, the title, proof of insurance/license, pay the registration with a credit card and they mailed me plates. You will have to have CA insurance however.

I'm not sure your of your state laws, but I didn't even need a license for my home state. I opted to get a CA license because it is required to ride a motorcycle in state, regardless of military status.

No smog, no bumper laws, no engine swap laws.. I can pretty much taxi a Boeing down the road as long as the VIN matches the title. Not to mention I can register my car for two years at a time at nearly half the cost CA charges for a single year.
And I don't need that whack ass front plate.

I just moved to CA, but I've renewed my registration in SC prior to my move so that I didn't have to register the car in CA. My state of residence is OR, but they were too much of pain in the butt to get new tags without physical presence, so I've opted out for SC registration for past few years instead of going through my home state process.

OP PM me for more info if you're still confused. I'd rather explain over the phone.

AnonymousBlackX
05-06-2016, 10:30 PM
same it was easy for me to register in Tx and I'm in New Mexico all i had to do was send some docs and a cashiers check and game on, even got a antique plate

zombiewolf513
05-06-2016, 11:03 PM
I went through a similar predicament stationed in NC with an SR... Had to get a family member in AZ a power of attorney for the car and have them register it outside of the metropolitan area. Got a 5 year registration out of it too

dr_
05-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Whatever way you go about it, it's usually very easy to get your car registered. The DMV knows your struggle and no one expects you to drive cross country to register your car. Just make a few phone calls and find the easiest way for you.

C10Hakosuka
05-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Wow you're all very helpful!! I called up and I only need to fill out two forms, give them an address (using my aunts) copy of military ID and registration fees. The lady on the phone didnt elaborate some parts well enough so still slightly worried if I need anything else. She did mention that I must have North Carolina car insurance though so I'm assuming I'll just have to call up USAA and ask them if they can switch the location or however that works.

Also my home of record is actually in Japan which is why Im having so much trouble it's confusing when your home of record is in a whole different country. Would be great if that counted and I could run Japan plates and do whatever the hell I want to my car huh? Haha thank you all though I'll keep you guys updated on wether or not I was able to register in North Carolina.

ZenkiKid
05-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Just be on the lookout of some cops who are just plain assholes..

I have a buddy who had a car registered out of state and got pulled over.

Cops basic definition:

If the car is here and you live here then it has to be registered here.

dr_
05-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Well technically there's nothing saying you can't have Japanese plates as far as I know. However having that big inspection they have every two years would need to be done, and it's probably worse than just trying to get the car smogged.

As far as cops, it all depends. I was tuning my car just a week ago and had a local cop pull up behind me. I was pulled over to the side of the road changing a few things on my laptop and he pulled up right behind me and flashed me. He walked up, asked if I was military(because of the plates) and I told him I just changed a fuel pump and my car was acting up. He asked if I needed help then went about his day. No liscense, registration, nothing.

I'm sure I would have had a different expirence with CHP. I've heard nightmare stories with them. If you do ever run into issues like zenkikid described, make it very clear that your car isn't "here", and you don't live "here". Print out the regulations from your state of you have to and just kee them with you for reference. By law, you're more or less just driving through Cali. You are not a California resident. The only thing that applies to you, assuming SC is chill with letting you do whatever to your car, is cat and muffler deletes etc.

Rovch
05-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Just be on the lookout of some cops who are just plain assholes..

I have a buddy who had a car registered out of state and got pulled over.

Cops basic definition:

If the car is here and you live here then it has to be registered here.

Quoting CA DMV Website (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/militaryvr#military):

Nonresident military personnel, and both military or civilian members of NATO who are not citizens of the United States are permitted to operate a vehicle in this state with valid license plates from either:

the individual's home state or country or
the state or country where the individual was regularly assigned and stationed when the license plates were issued, if the following requirements are met:
The license plates displayed on the vehicle are valid plates issued by a foreign jurisdiction.
The vehicle registration and license plates are issued to the military person or spouse of the military person.
The vehicle registration and license plates are issued by the foreign jurisdiction where the military person was last regularly assigned and stationed for duty by military orders or a jurisdiction claimed by the nonresident military person as the permanent state of residence.
If the vehicle is a motor vehicle, the owner or driver has insurance.

ashero2
05-10-2016, 07:35 PM
It all depends on what state your are trying to register it in. For example my buddy who is stationed here in CA with me got his car registered in VA and it was all done over the phone and just had to fax some paper work to them and in a couple weeks he had his plates. So if your trying to reg. It in north Carolina I'd go to there DMV web page and see what it says about military. And if you can't find it just call them and ask what do you need to do to reg. It their.. hope that helped.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

hes talking about me. yea it was the same for me registering my car in VA. I talked to them, send a copy of my orders, id, fill out the normal registration form to get it registered and tagged in va and send a check to them. waited for a little and got my plates and registration in the mail. yea it sounds a little iffy at first trust me but it works out. plus im running an sr also but I don't have to worry about state inspections or anything :fawkd::fawkd::fawkd:

zerodameaon
05-13-2016, 12:08 PM
I used to get screwed with in San Diego, the cops down there are of the opinion that if you are living here you need to change your plates even if you are in the military. I always thought that was strange because its a military town, not some small non military town where the recruiter gets dicked with. If you end up with a ticket just fight it, usually the judge will throw it out, but it is a hassle regardless.

C10Hakosuka
05-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Well I was told I need a title (duh) in order to swap over to NC but that means I'll have to pay for that on top of renewing the tags which also means I'll have to smog and my car I'm sure won't pass. Now, I have the old title (not in my name obviously) and the bill of sale couldn't I just send that over? So busy with work I never have a chance to call them and when I do the wait time as usual is always ridiculous. Would make sense since I'll be swapping over anyway very much would rather not have to spend so much money for something so unnecessary.