PDA

View Full Version : Language thread!

HaLo
09-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Speak French to me, that the language I speak every day. ;)

mrmephistopheles
09-15-2004, 06:01 PM

Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, c'est-soi? (You are a chick, right? :keke: )

MERDE!!!

HaLo
09-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, c'est-soi? (You are a chick, right? :keke: )

MERDE!!!

:bowrofl:

Actually, it should be: "Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, ce soir?"

It doesn't really matter though, we both know that you just foolin' around... I hope, anyways... :ugh:

mrmephistopheles
09-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Damn.. sorry 'bout that. That's such an idiotic obvious error in retrospect.
I apologize, it's been 6+ years since I studied French.. and yes, I'm kidding.. lol

I agree that Americans do have a reputation for being self-centered egotistical idiots.

projectRDM
09-15-2004, 08:39 PM

Je dors avec trois jolie jeune filles ce soir, apres je monge les filles.

That's the only thing I kept from the experience, and it doesn't work well in a subway car.

HaLo
09-15-2004, 08:42 PM
You studied French where? College level? I'm quite surprised to see people studying (sp?) French at any level in America.

In Quebec, schools are in French with mandatory English classes, while the rest of Canada have English schools with some French classes.

mrmephistopheles
09-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Highschool. I studied Latin as a freshman, then French from Sophomore to Senior years. It was a pretty popular subject. I think I would've given more of a shit to learn it when I was a Senior, but my teacher was a bitch. :dunno:
As far as college level languages, I'll probably study Japanese, just because I'm here and it'll do me well to learn it.

ThatGuy
09-15-2004, 09:05 PM
I took two years of Spanish in High school. Got detached to Spain for a couple months, a few years back. I then realized how hard it is for people from outside the US to communicate here. I stumbled through words and pronunciations all the time, but everyone was very helpful and polite to me, probably because I always had at least 5-10 other Marines with me. :D Either way it gave me a deeper respect for people visiting or living in the US who are still straining to learn English. I used to be very short tempered when dealing with "Tourists" or "Foreigners" when I worked at an amusement park. I look back now and realize what a complete ass-hat I was for being that close minded and ignorant. Live and Learn.

HaLo
09-15-2004, 09:06 PM
That's a good idea. I studied latin for 3 years when I was in highschool too. I don't remember a lot of it though... It's not easy to remember a dead language. :)

HaLo
09-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Je dors avec trois jolie jeune filles ce soir, apres je monge les filles.

That's the only thing I kept from the experience, and it doesn't work well in a subway car.

:rofl:

You sleep with three nice young ladies tonight and after you eat them? :)

I am really surprised to see so many other languages in this thread! :) Thumbs up to you guys that took time to learn another language!

AAA240SX
09-15-2004, 09:10 PM
i did spanish for 2 yrs in high school... me gusta el bano por favor...? me llamo juan, me gusta grande culo...

ThatGuy
09-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Hahaha, most of the time I walked around mumbling "Tu hablo ingles?".

mrmephistopheles
09-15-2004, 09:20 PM
That's a good idea. I studied latin for 3 years when I was in highschool too. I don't remember a lot of it though... It's not easy to remember a dead language. :)

I studied Spanish in middle school, but seeing as how I lived in Louisiana at the time and I'd be better off learning French than Spanish, I stopped taking it (even though I was doing QUITE well). The Latin I learned stuck with me for a good 2-3 years, and I'll still be able to decipher some Latin when I come across it. What's sad about my spanish knowledge is that the phrase I know best is 'El bano est en fuego'. I think one thing that turned me off to learning Spanish was how native speakers can machinegun it in normal conversation, which pretty much eliminates any possiblity of me understanding.

HaLo
09-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Seems I can start threads without my consent. ;)

I actually took 2-3 lessons of Spanish, but I never went through with it. I don't really like languages so I am not really interested in learning them.

I do know how to read Arabic (don't know the meaning) and I can also say that I understand/read Turkish, without speaking it fluently.

mrmephistopheles
09-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Seems I can start threads without my consent. ;)

You posted it though! ??!!!??!!?!??!

VIERD!!!

HaLo
09-15-2004, 09:50 PM
I guess I did...

I am a little confused now.

Je suis tout melange ...

AKADriver
09-15-2004, 11:21 PM
You studied French where? College level? I'm quite surprised to see people studying (sp?) French at any level in America.

In Quebec, schools are in French with mandatory English classes, while the rest of Canada have English schools with some French classes.

In my school system (in the middle of upstate New York), starting in 6th grade, French was offered as an option alongside Spanish. Most kids took Spanish, but I took French. I can't speak or write it much, but between the many cognates and the basic understanding of the language I retained I can usually get the gist of written or clearly spoken (not conversational) french. I was also lucky enough to get into a Japanese language program in high school, so I also have a slight understanding of that. I love languages... I used to sit around and translate the lyrics of German music word by word just for shits and giggles (German is really easy for a native English speaker). These days I get my gf to teach me basic Korean phrases. She also corrects my English... she's a high school English teacher.

Andrew Bohan
09-15-2004, 11:24 PM
i did 2 years of spanish in high school and 2 years of japanese in college, and i still talk frequently with japanese friends at college. i can read korean but don't understand much. and i know a little mandarin

HaLo
09-16-2004, 12:03 AM
So basically, you guys are saying that if I go to the States and speak with my gf in French, hoping no one would understand, there's a remote possibility that someone did take some French classes...

I have to be careful now. ;)

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 12:35 AM
oh i forgot, i speak english too.
yeah some people speak french. millions of people here speak spanish though.

sykikchimp
09-16-2004, 09:45 AM
In my high school days you were required to take foreign language (2 classes) and they only offered french and spanish. French was more popular.

..I think the likely hood of you running into someone who speaks it fluently is very slim, but running into someone who might catch a word or 2 is fairly high.

HaLo
09-16-2004, 09:51 AM
It's still good to know. anyways, the Quebec-French is a dialect by itself. French people have a hard time to understand us... While we understand the French fully... ;)

240Driver39
09-16-2004, 09:59 AM
yeah, i took 3 years of German in high school and it has been worthless. I am currently learning french with the assistance of my girlfriend at college, who is from southern france. I have to learn some, as i plan to go there for a few weeks this summer. I only know a few catch phrases as of right now...

nocomedown
09-16-2004, 10:50 AM
i took about 4 years of French back during middle school/high school. i remember only bits and pieces now. as a college freshman i'm taking japanese because i figured it'd be useful for a business (possibly international business) major.

Var
09-16-2004, 11:07 AM
ara francatzi berand koonem jaj dam vred

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 11:18 AM
zenbu arumeniajin ha kusoyaroura da!

Mr. Badlose
09-16-2004, 12:45 PM
ムアハハハハハハハハハ!! ロフルコプター!!!1

s14falcon
09-16-2004, 01:20 PM
thats funny that french was the popular language, here in south florida its way more popular to take spanish, but i guess we have a reason. Besides, nobody learns anything in the required first two years anyway. Pero estoy muy orgulloso de que yo tengo espanol cinco ap ahora. la problema es para un gringo, como mi, es bastante dificil, los latinoamericanos hablan tan rapido y no entiendo frases especiales. ahora, yo necisito alguien para hablar espanol con, porque yo quiero practicar y mejorarse mi conversacion, pero a nadie en mi familia habla espanol. oh well.

edit, oh oops, you wanted us to speak french. lo siento.

omen2853
09-16-2004, 01:35 PM
i did spanish for 2 yrs in high school... me gusta el bano por favor...? me llamo juan, me gusta grande culo...

'El bano est en fuego'

thats funny. AA likes the bathroom please, and Mrmeph says its on fire. I wonder if AA had eaten a powerful burrito :yum:

i only know spanish and english. but occaisionally on online video games i meet people from all over and ask them questions about what they are saying among each other.

at my highschool, it was mostly Asian girls who took french class. everyone else took spanish. very little took german.

HaLo
09-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Pero estoy muy orgulloso de que yo tengo espanol cinco ap ahora. la problema es para un gringo, como mi, es bastante dificil, los latinoamericanos hablan tan rapido y no entiendo frases especiales. ahora, yo necisito alguien para hablar espanol con, porque yo quiero practicar y mejorarse mi conversacion, pero a nadie en mi familia habla espanol. oh well.

edit, oh oops, you wanted us to speak french. lo siento.

I don't speak spanish at all, but I can understand a few sentences just because of my french and latin...

First sentence: My father is my (something, most probably "reason") that I know spanish (someting, something).

Second sentence goes like this: The problem for a man, like me, is that it's difficult to (...), latin-americans speak too quickly and you can't understand their special sentences.

Third sentence: (something), I am required to speak spanish because i have practice and (something) conversations, my father in my family speaks spanish.

So how bad is it?
I swear I did not use any translating software.

s14falcon
09-16-2004, 02:17 PM
I don't speak spanish at all, but I can understand a few sentences just because of my french and latin...

First sentence: My father is my (something, most probably "reason") that I know spanish (someting, something).

Second sentence goes like this: The problem for a man, like me, is that it's difficult to (...), latin-americans speak too quickly and you can't understand their special sentences.

Third sentence: (something), I am required to speak spanish because i have practice and (something) conversations, my father in my family speaks spanish.

So how bad is it?
I swear I did not use any translating software.

Not too bad, i guess the french and the latin do help.
First one went something like: But im very proud that im in spanish 5 AP now. (Because the only spanish ive learned has been from school)
second: The problem is that for a gringo like myself, its pretty hard because the latinamericans speak so fast and i dont understand certain phrases(kinda idiomatic things).
third:now i need someone to speak spanish with, because i want to practice and improve my conversation, but nobody in my family speaks spanish.

my class is more than half native speakers, and you have to pay such close attention because they talk fast and tend to slur the words together. I can read no problem, but having like an easygoin conversation i still need to work on.

smellslikecurry
09-16-2004, 02:29 PM
amar nunu kow

Chernobyl
09-16-2004, 02:49 PM
pense a moi la prochaine fois que
tu entendras la rumeur des vagues
st si alles te disent que tu m'as fait
que du mal, t'en fait pas

Ok, I actually just copied some Nada Surf lyrics... but I did take 3 years of French in high school. I've since forgotten almost all of it because I'm on my second year of college German, and I speak fluent Russian 50% of my waking hours. I'm also fluent in English, obviously. After a while, I just didn't have the brain capacity for all of it, so French kinda got thrown out.

I still watch French movies on IFC and Sundance channel all the time though. And I understand most of them, usually.

boro240
09-16-2004, 02:57 PM
my dad had to learn french years ago when he got stationed in morocco (although i think he had already taken it in high school and such, and he likes france/french culture). while there i picked up arabic, but now have lost it. i took spanish in middle school, and japanese in high school and some of college.

HaLo
09-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Not too bad, i guess the french and the latin do help.
First one went something like: But im very proud that im in spanish 5 AP now. (Because the only spanish ive learned has been from school)
second: The problem is that for a gringo like myself, its pretty hard because the latinamericans speak so fast and i dont understand certain phrases(kinda idiomatic things).
third:now i need someone to speak spanish with, because i want to practice and improve my conversation, but nobody in my family speaks spanish.

my class is more than half native speakers, and you have to pay such close attention because they talk fast and tend to slur the words together. I can read no problem, but having like an easygoin conversation i still need to work on.

Latin, French, Italian, Romanian, Portugese and Spanish share the same root and are very alike. Some words are almost identical. I was still far off, but for a person that has no knowledge of spanish, I did pretty well :) ...

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 03:33 PM
yeah not bad. i haven't studied spanish in 6 years but i got the gist of it.

RBS14
09-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Je suis le roi!!!

I wish.

Je m'appelle Scott, et je veux d'habite au Canada.

I think something is messed up ^ right around there. fix it for me please. haha

HaLo
09-18-2004, 01:35 AM
Je suis le roi!!!

I wish.

Je m'appelle Scott, et je veux d'habite au Canada.

I think something is messed up ^ right around there. fix it for me please. haha

Je m'appelle Scott et je veux habiter au Canada. ;)

Practicing french I see. ;)

Huk2000
09-18-2004, 01:45 AM
j'habite dans le fromage avec ma mere, havn't taken french since highschool oh so long ago

RBS14
09-18-2004, 12:07 PM
you live in the cheese with your mom? interesting.

Halo, thanks. however, the reason I said it is because it's true. i heart B.C.

brianglawson
09-18-2004, 04:12 PM
kinda off subject, but i know a lil spanish and someone walked up to me one day when i was speaking it trying to act all cool and stuff and said
"Soy gallardo con mi padre" and i said "really" and he said "si" then i proceeded to laugh my ass of, now can anyone tell me why i was laughing at this guy trying to speak spanish? ill give you a picture of a cookie if you can:)

RBS14
09-18-2004, 04:18 PM
now can anyone tell me why i was laughing at this guy trying to speak spanish?

so you could post this very thing up on zilvia so you could give me a cookie for guessing right? all because you are in a charitable mood.

I've never taken any spanish but he's doing something with his father.

Soy gallardo - having sex?

Pepperoni
09-19-2004, 02:26 AM
Spanish was my first language, then english. I catch myself speaking Spanglish ever since i started to learn english

^ I doubt it means "having sex"...although I've never heard of "gallardo", but i'm guessing it means "hes happy/joyful with his dad"? :fruit:

brianglawson
09-19-2004, 06:21 AM
He said "I am gay(happy, joyful) with my dad" and he said it completly unknowingly in front of me and this girl, she knew some spanish too:)

RBS14
09-19-2004, 03:20 PM
so the implication was there. where's my cookie damnit?

Pepperoni deserves one too.

I prefer Oreos. thanks.

91rusty240sx
09-19-2004, 04:17 PM
je sais une petite de francais, mais je ne l'utilise pas beacoup. j'etudie de francais pour quatre ans parsce que j'ai pensé que je parlerai a les belles dames... maintenant je parle a ma voiture... si triste....haha havent written french in a while... let alone speak it...

RBS14
09-19-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you should have used Connaitre instead of Savoir in your first sentence. Halo, which is it?

well maybe not, because savoir is used in "je ne sais pas." I'm confused.

yea, I wish it got me hot chicks too, but no luck yet.

on a side note: I saw your sig. My stock blue S14 wheel will be coming off within this week. do you want it?

theicecreamdan
09-19-2004, 08:27 PM
I took a lots of spanish in high school, i got a 4 on the AP test, though i think if it wasn't the last of 3 AP tests i had taken that week i might have gotten that 5.

i got a 5 on calculus and biology, those are separate languages too i guess

soy muy guapo y inteligente!

G_Fish240
09-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Bojour halo! Ca Va?
Je suis american, et toi?

theicecreamdan
09-19-2004, 09:12 PM
je suis canard!

RBS14
09-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Ca va Bien!

mrmephistopheles
09-19-2004, 09:21 PM
je suis canard!
You're a duck?

91rusty240sx
09-20-2004, 02:45 AM
You're a duck?

haha duck in cantonese means gigolo... what a man-whore!

I'm not sure, but I think you should have used Connaitre instead of Savoir in your first sentence. Halo, which is it?

well maybe not, because savoir is used in "je ne sais pas." I'm confused.

yea, I wish it got me hot chicks too, but no luck yet.

on a side note: I saw your sig. My stock blue S14 wheel will be coming off within this week. do you want it?

i think savoir is used on knowing about things and connaitre is used on a people... haha i dunno, i forgot most of my french principles...

thanks for the offer, but i dont think ill be heading down san diego anytime soon, but if i do, ill let you know.

HaLo
09-20-2004, 07:06 AM
Both terms can be used... we have so many words that mean almost the same thing.

Indeed, savoir is not used when speaking of people. I believe that savoir would be the most appropriate in the previous sentence though.

Andrew Bohan
09-20-2004, 09:20 AM
furansugo ha muzukashisou!