PDA

View Full Version : Let it be known

mrmephistopheles
09-15-2004, 06:34 PM
...that I have no problem with people getting pissed about improper use of english. With the exception of non-native speakers of english, no user on this webforum has ANY excuse for improper spelling, grammar, or punctuation.

I wholeheartedly support proper use of English for this reason:

If we as a society do NOT enforce it's proper usage, and tolerate laziness or intentional improper usage, we are contributing to the demise of our language.

I grant that people make mistakes, and sometimes intentional misspellings can be humorous, but excessive and unintentional errors are frustrating.

I have seen posts on this forum written iN Th1S /\/\@nN3r.
At that point, it becomes an extreme effort to decrypt and interpret what someone is trying to say. In addition, slang vernacular is not appropriate for an webforum.
yo dawg's I wuz chillin' wit my h0mi3s and we wuz hassl3d by this fucKin pig, yo.

If you speak like this in real life, not only are you ignorant, you're immature. If you type like this on the internet, you are an idiot.

Common sense is much less common than I wish it were, and this is very evident nowadays.

My humble request is this: If you know how to speak and write english properly, make an effort to do so. If you don't know how, make an effort to learn.

HaLo
09-15-2004, 06:49 PM
I always make an effort to write english properly and I do notice that it may not be perfect. You often point out that my english needs some kind of refinement. Anyways, let it be known that I type too quickly and often forget words that I thought while writing a post. The problem is that I don't re-read myself before posting and it comes out silly. ;)

I'll make an effort to perfect my english. :)

mrmephistopheles
09-15-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm just giving you a hard time, Oktay.. I know you're able to write English very well.. I just give you grief about your little mistakes in fun... I hope you don't take offense...

HaLo
09-15-2004, 08:21 PM
No I don't. :)
Don't worry about it! I sometimes wish that my spoken english was as flawless (??) as my written english. I sometimes have this horrible accent and forget how to put words. It makes me look like a fool. ;)

cali240sxdrifter
09-15-2004, 08:24 PM
dang, I thought the other thread should have been enough.

Andrew Bohan
09-15-2004, 11:26 PM
If we as a society do NOT enforce it's proper usage

that's its
it's is short for it is

got it?

mrmephistopheles
09-15-2004, 11:42 PM
that's its
it's is short for it is

got it?
edit: Kevin is stupid, don't read this.
Nice try, Andrew.
Too bad you're wrong.

it's usage. Possessive.

The dog wagged it's tail.
The Andrew punched it's clown.
etc etc

Possessive, bish.

AKADriver
09-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Nope, he was right, dude.

it's = it is or it has
its = possessive pronoun, like her, his, their, our.

If you can replace with "his" and the sentence still makes sense, then you use "its", not "it's."

The dog wagged (his, its) tail.
The Andrew punches (his, its) clown.

nightwalker
09-15-2004, 11:57 PM
-ain't ain't a word
-isn't isn't a word.
-they're/there/their
-I/me... (correct)Mike and I went to the store/(incorrect)Me and Mike went to the store

HaLo
09-15-2004, 11:59 PM
I'd have to agree with AKADriver and Driftaholic on this one...

seems you got owned Kevin! :p

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 12:36 AM
The Andrew pwns its Kevin

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 12:39 AM
the one that really gets me is hypercorrection.

example:
some fool remembers that it's "my bitch and i" and not "me and my bitch"
so he says "the pimp slapped my bitch and i"
which is wrong, because "i" is a subject. "me" is an object.
the fool should have said "the pimp slapped my bitch and me"

mrmephistopheles
09-16-2004, 12:44 AM
smegma. -1 for me. :(

mrmephistopheles
09-16-2004, 12:47 AM
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html

The apostrophe has three uses:

1) to form possessives of nouns
2) to show the omission of letters
3) to indicate certain plurals of lowercase letters.

Apostrophes are NOT used for possessive pronouns or for noun plurals, including acronyms.

Sadly, this used to be a pet peeve of mine. I suppose I was thinking of 'language' and it's (its numbskull, its!!!) status of a noun... :-(

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 01:02 AM
(Note: Its and it's are not the same thing. It's is a contraction for "it is" and its is a possesive pronoun meaning "belonging to it." It's raining out= it is raining out. A simple way to remember this rule is the fact that you don't use an apostrophe for the possesives his or hers, so don't do it with its!)

I suppose I was thinking of 'language' and it's status of a noun.

you missed it again

mrmephistopheles
09-16-2004, 01:04 AM
holy god.
That's it. I'm going to be speaking aramaic from now on.

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 01:09 AM
time to become mrmammon?

Salty_X
09-16-2004, 02:02 AM
the one that really gets me is hypercorrection.

example:
some fool remembers that it's "my bitch and i" and not "me and my bitch"
so he says "the pimp slapped my bitch and i"
which is wrong, because "i" is a subject. "me" is an object.
the fool should have said "the pimp slapped my bitch and me"
Wouldn't it be easier to just say "The pimp slapped us." ?

My pet peeve is the word "weary" - used as a contraction of wary and leery. :confused: Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
Weary means you're fucking tired, wary/leery means you're cautious/suspicious.
Thankfully I don't see that used much anymore.

kandyflip445
09-16-2004, 02:07 AM
In addition, slang vernacular is not appropriate for an webforum.

I thought it was "a" in that instance and "an" if it is followed by a word starting with a vowel?

mrmephistopheles
09-16-2004, 03:29 AM
typo, fuckstick.
Care to be my editor, then?

boro240
09-16-2004, 03:41 AM
i can't stand their/there/theyre missuse and things like that. or when people use homonyms for words (ie patients instead of patience)

aznpoopy
09-16-2004, 07:10 AM
i can't stand their/there/theyre missuse and things like that. or when people use homonyms for words (ie patients instead of patience)

i agree with you. it's very annoying when people spell stuff wrong, especially in thread titles! "17x7 +35 wheels for sail!!!" :doh:

shit, does this mean i have to start using the shift key...? I never capitalize anything out of pure laziness.

HaLo
09-16-2004, 07:13 AM
typo, fuckstick.

There goes the language thread all the way down the drain... :bowrofl:

sykikchimp
09-16-2004, 07:48 AM

or how about the ever popular "break" instead of "brake". I see that a lot on forums.

ThatGuy
09-16-2004, 07:49 AM
I still say a Spell Check hack for Zilvia would solve a lot of this. I know I have a problem with proper grammar and spelling, so for longer posts I usually copy and paste to MS Word. Then I can correct my mistakes. Unfortunately I don't do this often enough, so I come out looking unintelligent because my fingers get ahead of my brain.

Jeff240sx
09-16-2004, 07:56 AM
If someone were to go through the time and hassle of installing a spell checker, I think it would be wrong to not ban those who typed poorly.
There are a couple remedies to this. A) You all learn on your own. Slight errors like Kevin made (although, tragically ironic) would be permissible, while 1337 41ph4 |-|4x0rz talk would be riddiculed, flammed, and if it happened on many occasions, a ban would be in order. Or we have B) Someone installs a spellchecker on this forum. A user doesn't use it, and the spell-check-installer gets pissed about his "wasted" time and commences the bannings.
You guys can vote/decide/debate about this.
-Jeff

PBucch
09-16-2004, 08:00 AM
terrible thread

nismo2491
09-16-2004, 09:28 AM
haha it pissed me off so bad yesterday I was half ready to make a pardody of the "in this thread I answer your computer questions" thread and make a "in this thread I teach you how to spell" thread. I hate break for brake and vice-versa.
KEvin

HaLo
09-16-2004, 09:54 AM
terrible thread

If you find this thread terrible, why don't you go play elsewhere?

s14srpilot
09-16-2004, 12:03 PM
edit: Kevin is stupid, don't read this.
Nice try, Andrew.
Too bad you're wrong.

it's usage. Possessive.

The dog wagged it's tail.
The Andrew punched it's clown.
etc etc

Possessive, bish.

Sorry, but "The dog wagged it's tail." is equal to "The dog wagged it is tail," which is incorrect. The correct word is "its." :bigok:

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 12:26 PM
welcome to 20+ posts ago

Hoshikuzu
09-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Damn people with lack of grammer and spelling. I use the shift key out of habit...

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 03:38 PM
grammar message length

nocomedown
09-16-2004, 04:42 PM
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html

Sadly, this used to be a pet peeve of mine. I suppose I was thinking of 'language' and it's (its numbskull, its!!!) status of a noun... :-(
hell yeah! Purdue is always right. (unless I do poorly on a test, in which case I was clearly right and they were wrong.)

mrmephistopheles
09-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Sorry, but "The dog wagged it's tail." is equal to "The dog wagged it is tail," which is incorrect. The correct word is "its." :bigok:

You're a little late for the party on that one. I'd already been corrected and edited that post by the time you quoted it. Tard.

It's a shame I was such a tard when it came to correct usage of apostrophes, but hey - what can I do other than learn from my mistake?

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 05:26 PM
what can I do other than learn from my mistake?

you can D I A F

mrmephistopheles
09-16-2004, 05:37 PM
you can D I A F

I'll leave that to you.

ThatGuy
09-16-2004, 06:06 PM
:rofl:Andrew thinks he's cool. Too bad we all know differently. ROFLCopter:rofl:

Andrew Bohan
09-16-2004, 07:06 PM
hooray! i always wanted to D I A F

HaLo
09-16-2004, 08:19 PM
hooray, this thread ROCKS!

mrmephistopheles
09-16-2004, 08:42 PM
hooray, this thread ROCKS!
http://www.fochkopf.com/images/forum/makotorocks.jpg

theicecreamdan
09-16-2004, 09:09 PM
I are teh dizagre3 wit dis tread y0!1

sumtimze i juz wants to mess wit my sepling and ahve fun witz my mizpelings
pleez don mek tis a banubble offenze

HaLo
09-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Banstick!!! Where is the banstick!! :D

Phlip
09-17-2004, 12:10 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just say "The pimp slapped us." ?

Or if you don't mind being long-winded like myself, you would say "the pimp slapped that bitch I was with, then he turned to slap me, at which point I beat him like I owned him"

Phlip
09-17-2004, 12:15 AM
or how about the ever popular "break" instead of "brake". I see that a lot on forums.
The thing in this case is that in some cases, these words are a lot closer to interchangeability than a lot of the shit we see otherwise

nismo2491
09-17-2004, 08:17 AM
bit late on this post. next time I'll make sure I read the second page first before I respond.
KEvin

RBS14
09-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Here is one I HATE seeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mang.

people who say it in real life sound like and are retards, and people who actually go to the effort to type it are even worse!!!

Quit typing "mang"!!!! I want to rip your head off when I see it!!!! God Damnit!!!

wooo saaaa

sorry, couldn't control myself.

MakotoS13
09-18-2004, 01:07 PM
http://www.fochkopf.com/images/forum/makotorocks.jpg

freaking makes my day evertime i see one of these.