PDA

View Full Version : Transmission repair/Rebuild shops?

s13poop
03-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Looks like my third gear synchro's are starting to go and was wondering if anyone has experience with a good transmission repair shop in the area? :2f2f:

last shop I went to in El Monte quoted me $1500 :confused:

I haven't seen any decent used transmissions on the classifieds and with my luck they'd probably be worse than the one I have..

any insight will be appreciated

thanks

Kingtal0n
03-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Im planning on doing it myself when the time comes. It can't be that hard, and the KA trans is identical inside so you can use the KA english instructions and KA rebuild kit. I need to 100% confirm this (it isnt a priority) something to think about though

mogli9000
03-10-2016, 10:54 PM
1,500 sounds about right from a reputable shop.

s13poop
03-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Im planning on doing it myself when the time comes. It can't be that hard, and the KA trans is identical inside so you can use the KA english instructions and KA rebuild kit. I need to 100% confirm this (it isnt a priority) something to think about though

True that I just don't have the time/space to do it

1,500 sounds about right from a reputable shop.

Word I was hoping there were some alternatives but I guess not :-/

mau5trap
03-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Word I was hoping there were some alternatives but I guess not :-/

convert to a vg transmission

s13poop
03-28-2016, 07:39 PM
convert to a vg transmission

Was thinking of that but a couple of 240sx buddies pointed me towards Anaheim gear so I might try going that route first

DataXUnknown
03-31-2016, 06:21 AM
I just got mine back from Anaheim Gear. They did a great job. When I called to ask for a price quote, they told me they start at $350 and go up to about $750 depending on what it needs. Mine was $750

MrMigs
03-31-2016, 02:06 PM
^ nice. any idea if they'll rebuild an sr transmission? supposedly the same but i dunno if they're EXACTLY the same..

s13poop
04-01-2016, 11:55 AM
I just got mine back from Anaheim Gear. They did a great job. When I called to ask for a price quote, they told me they start at $350 and go up to about $750 depending on what it needs. Mine was $750

Perfect dude this is what I was looking for! :bow:

Have you driven the car with the new tranny installed? If so how is it??

EDacIouSX
04-17-2016, 04:10 PM
^ nice. any idea if they'll rebuild an sr transmission? supposedly the same but i dunno if they're EXACTLY the same..

the front part of the tranny, bell housing? is different and the gearing is slightly longer on the SR Tranny than the KA. Internally it's basically almost exactly the same

dizi
04-24-2016, 02:13 PM
had my honda trans rebuilt at Anaheim gear. I had ran it low on oil and welded the gears to the shafts. New everything, $700 out the door. Worked flawless up until it got stolen

+1 anaheim gear

s13poop
04-24-2016, 02:21 PM
had my honda trans rebuilt at Anaheim gear. I had ran it low on oil and welded the gears to the shafts. New everything, $700 out the door. Worked flawless up until it got stolen

+1 anaheim gear

Thank you for the info guys much appreciated :bigok:

TheRealSy90
04-25-2016, 11:29 AM
SR Trans only has a slightly shorter 5th gear. ALL of the gears are not shorter.

I've got two sr trans for sale btw.

Btaztic
02-09-2017, 11:42 PM
Hey guys,

Don't mean to thread jack, or awaken the thread from the dead, but I figured I'd post here rather than start a new thread for a rather similar question.

How much would it cost for a drop, rebuild, and reinstall on a 97 S14 transmission? I know you guys mentioned Anaheim Gear for a rebuilt transmission, but they don't uninstall and reinstall.

I'd prefer to just go to one shop that can do it all to limit the downtime on my car, as it is my daily, I don't have the means or technical skill to do it myself, and I kinda need it back on the road sooner than later.

I'll give Anaheim Gear a call in the morning to see if their prices reflect those mentioned in this thread, and then hopefully I can just find someone to do the drop and reinstall if all else fails.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!