PDA

View Full Version : Itt or devry

Hatemy7
12-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Well I am asking because I have a nephew that is looking to get into the cyber security aka IT security. I have seen a lot of guys on here that do IT. just wanted to get your personal view on it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Sincerely,

Hate

exitspeed
12-28-2015, 01:56 PM
I went to ITT for multi-media design and would not recommend it for that. For going into IT kinda stuff though its probably sufficient.

Hatemy7
12-28-2015, 02:18 PM
I went to ITT for multi-media design and would not recommend it for that. For going into IT kinda stuff though its probably sufficient.

Really? why if you don't mind me asking?

driftsucky
12-28-2015, 02:51 PM
I went to Devry for CIS. It was pretty cool back then (99ish). Lots of hands on stuff and actual experts in the field. Didn't do a lot of "book work" if that makes sense. I have no intel on ITT as I've never attended.

w0nderbr3ad
12-28-2015, 02:58 PM
The "non-profit" school I went to is now heading into a direction with less hands-on and more theory and paper writing so they can achieve/maintain national accreditation. I recommend community college courses. They're cheap, sufficient, and you can choose courses based on your area of liking, if they provide them. A majority of the IT field is certifications and experience anyway.

So if your nephew is really wanting to get into the IT field, tell him to start off somewhere volunteering, help desk, or desktop support work. Then while he's working try to get certifications along the way (A+,Net+, Sec+, CISSP, GSEC, OSCP,etc...). If he's a PC gamer, he should know the hardware side already, and would need to work on troubleshooting skills. However, if he ultimately wants to get into pen testing then it would be beneficial for him to know Linux and/or scripting in multiple languages. Or go to specific sites to get training, SANS.org, offensive-security.com, or others which offer training courses/classes. Lots of research to be done, but hope this helps in some way.

driftsucky
12-28-2015, 04:12 PM
The "non-profit" school I went to is now heading into a direction with less hands-on and more theory and paper writing so they can achieve/maintain national accreditation. I recommend community college courses. They're cheap, sufficient, and you can choose courses based on your area of liking, if they provide them. A majority of the IT field is certifications and experience anyway.

So if your nephew is really wanting to get into the IT field, tell him to start off somewhere volunteering, help desk, or desktop support work. Then while he's working try to get certifications along the way (A+,Net+, Sec+, CISSP, GSEC, OSCP,etc...). If he's a PC gamer, he should know the hardware side already, and would need to work on troubleshooting skills. However, if he ultimately wants to get into pen testing then it would be beneficial for him to know Linux and/or scripting in multiple languages. Or go to specific sites to get training, SANS.org, offensive-security.com, or others which offer training courses/classes. Lots of research to be done, but hope this helps in some way.

+1

IT isn't the new shiny awkward profession it used to be.

Hatemy7
12-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Ok thanks guys. I appreciate it.

I will let him know. Overall he just wants to do security. Ive heard that there is some good money in there.

Phlip
12-29-2015, 04:48 PM

^^^ This, ALL of this.

zerodameaon
12-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Community college is the direction to go instead of any of these for profit type schools. I have a few friends who got Devry or ITT degrees and none of them are seeing any benefit. Same with my friends who went to UTI. They are all working retail jobs while the school gets to count them as "Placed in jobs in their field of study".

5280VertDET
12-29-2015, 07:38 PM

+1

IT isn't the new shiny awkward profession it used to be.

^^^ This, ALL of this.

I have been in IT for 10+ years, currently the IT manager of a recruiting firm. We place mostly IT/Dev/Anaylst contractors and direct-hire positions. I can confirm the above. No IT "degree" from ITT or DeVry carry much weight. Certificates, exerience and programming are the path to money and success.

FYI we have had multiple clients not look at "trade school" graduates. Not sure exactly why. It seems that a lot of my past co-workers and senior people don't have a degree that ITT and the like are offering, seems like they are trying to cash in themselves on the hot IT fields.

Most IT-Sec people didn't go to school for it, they transition into it.

Also, to be an asset and an effective IT professional you have to be a master of few and good at most.

Phlip
12-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Most IT-Sec people didn't go to school for it, they transition into it.

Considering everything I pruned of what I am quoting, this is very specifically me.

Hatemy7
12-31-2015, 08:34 AM
Good information seriously. I truly appreciate it.

Overall he has no experience in it at all what so ever. He isn't paying for school ( big bro has the VA to give ) also you would think that a place like Devry or ITT would be good just because they are teaching you whats up you know.q

5280VertDET
12-31-2015, 09:34 AM
Good information seriously. I truly appreciate it.

Overall he has no experience in it at all what so ever. He isn't paying for school ( big bro has the VA to give ) also you would think that a place like Devry or ITT would be good just because they are teaching you whats up you know.q

Honestly, Community college will teach you the same shit for half the price. Plus the credits transfer. IRC, Devry/ITT are not accredited and therefore the credits will not transfer to another institution.

Food for thought. Also, have him try Tier1/HelpDesk first, it really makes you realize how to deal with end users, how they think, and likely your bosses are to IT staffers at most levels.

Hatemy7
12-31-2015, 10:59 AM
Honestly, Community college will teach you the same shit for half the price. Plus the credits transfer. IRC, Devry/ITT are not accredited and therefore the credits will not transfer to another institution.

Food for thought. Also, have him try Tier1/HelpDesk first, it really makes you realize how to deal with end users, how they think, and likely your bosses are to IT staffers at most levels.

Good stuff dude. I will let him know