PDA

View Full Version : Civic wins 2004 Merdeka Endurance

aznpoopy
09-09-2004, 10:06 AM
http://asia.vtec.net/article/MME2004Race/index.html

Cliffnotes :

-Merdeka Millenium Endurance 2004 = 12 Hour endurance Race
-2 Honda Civics 2 liter iVtec take 1st and 3rd place at the race, beating out such cars as Lamborghini Murcielago, EVO8, Exige S2, STI, integra (RSX) tR, 911 GT3, etc.
-Lambo was owning everyone but died out 10 hours in b/c of dead gearbox.
-911 GT3 took *2nd* place
-2nd civic was in 3rd place when it had some problem. Fixed in Pit, dropped back to 13th or something, raced its way back to 3rd place. on its way, it out-raced (not b/c of pit advantage) sr3, 911 gt3, sti, evo6, elise 190 - finally was stopped by the 2nd place 911 gt3.
-Civics won b/c of ... awesome fuel efficiency! (lmao) and a rapid fueling method, clocking pit times of 17 seconds and pitting at the minimum allowed durations. Other cars were pitting for two - three minutes.
-P1 Civic won Class A (highest class short of open anything goes) and the whole race outright, beating the 911 GT3 by 5 laps.

article was really interesting and (duH) more in depth.

HyperTek
09-09-2004, 10:37 AM
I never thought civics would be this serious...
http://asia.vtec.net/article/MME2004Race/refuel1.jpg
http://asia.vtec.net/article/MME2004Race/pitstop.jpg

For some reason.. I just cant take racing from some asian countries besides japan as serious...

But thats pretty good victory.

Bbandit
09-09-2004, 12:05 PM
^^ why do you say that? because the countries are poor and the people are stupid?
Have you been there before? Have you seen the Sepang Circuit?
Well I have.
Malaysia is growing and its going to keep on growing. they have their own domestic production car (Proton) and they are very active working in the Rallying world (WRC, etc). They even have a team in formula 1 (Petronas).

And FYI, the import(japanese car) community there is quite impressive for a 3rd world country.
They're all about RB26s in Bimmer M5s, M3s, S13s, RX7s etc.
A friend of mine just finished building a drag AWD evo that only runs on methanol.

Im not bashing.. Im just giving out information so that we (As a whole) can be more open minded.

the240sxer95
09-09-2004, 02:03 PM
wonder why the used a 4 door over the 2 door.. and why not use the hatch :) owell . unless it says somewhere in there and i should have read it instead of looking at pix.

TRUENOCOUPE
09-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Ill be ditching drifting soon and going to do Honda Challenge.

-Al

Mr. Badlose
09-09-2004, 03:26 PM
^
Great idea. Honda Challenge looks AWESOME!
I'd love to be able to have a 2nd car to do that.
(well a 3rd car....after I get into amateur rallying!)

I bet all of the Honda haters read this post and got pissed. Heheh.

memphiss13
09-09-2004, 09:21 PM
if i could afford a tow vehicle i would be looking into honda challenge seriously myself. my first two cars were hondas and i just got rid of my 93 hatch about a month ago. they are fun cars and can be made into very good track cars.
i know trueno coupe was just joking though. just like his post on club4ag about quitting drifting.

theronin
09-09-2004, 09:36 PM
um what did u guys expect? it was an endurance race for gods sake. thats what civics are designed to do, RUN FOREVER. they just had to wait for everyone else to pit and/or breakdown and boom, they win by default

Shin_Kudo
09-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Good for Honda, this is the kinda thing I like to see Civics do, forget all the underglow and bodykits and crap.

Speaking of which, I wonder if we're gonna start seeing Endurance Civic wannabe ricers soon?

aznpoopy
09-10-2004, 07:19 AM
um what did u guys expect? it was an endurance race for gods sake. thats what civics are designed to do, RUN FOREVER. they just had to wait for everyone else to pit and/or breakdown and boom, they win by default

read the article... that p3 civic dropped back to p13 and raced its way back up to 3, not purely by pit advantage. after it was out of the pit it was on the ass of a exige or elise (forgot which) and caught him - on the track, not on the pit.

I bet all of the Honda haters read this post and got pissed. Heheh.

thats part of why i posted it... ;)

HyperTek
09-10-2004, 09:28 AM
whats to get pissed about?? its a freaking "race-prepped" car...

If this was a stock for stock race, Im sure the results would differ maybe...

Im not honda hating, but you guys are making it sound like a miracle car... :goyou:

aznpoopy
09-10-2004, 09:37 AM
whats to get pissed about?? its a freaking "race-prepped" car...

If this was a stock for stock race, Im sure the results would differ maybe...

Im not honda hating, but you guys are making it sound like a miracle car... :goyou:

obviously none of the cars there were stock. but i'm sure you know; some people just refuse to believe hondas have any worth whatsoever... especially a civic; citing the fact that its FF or whatnot. anyway i'm glad the post got the responses it did. i think it shows zilvia is a pretty decent forum.

maybe i didnt emphasize the following point... there were other economy FF cars running on the track. this team did absolutely awesome, considering comparable cars like the toyota corolla were running in class B, and were obviously finished in positions more 'suited' to their class.

kouki_sil80
09-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Of course teh Civic won. It's l33t vtec!

MakotoS13
09-12-2004, 07:31 PM
did you guys even see what the hell it was? it was a test to see what would break and who could hang enough and get the best mileage. the civics gained MINUTES when other cars had to pit.... seriously. this is only a testiment to their fuel economy not their performance potential.

yeah its funny that a vic won aganst cars that are clearly better than it but if you actually think about the factors involved it makes perfect sense.