PDA

View Full Version : SR20 Ground Issue - Easy Fix?

Tyler_240
12-27-2015, 05:51 AM
FIXED: Blew the 75A Relay in the Engine Bay. Would be the last thing I checked..

Problem: Clock Illuminates, but does not display Time, Headlamp switch on dash won't work, Gauges don't work, but car starts and runs fine. Very strong cranking, fired up immediately upon turning key. Running lights work using switch on steering column, but no dash illumination and headlights don't engage.

I let it run for a minute or so, and all of a sudden everything started working. Possibly after revving motor slightly. Turned car OFF, issue repeated itself.

I did a Auto to 5spd Swap and dropped the motor in and it started right up at that time. I discovered a leaky rear main, etc...so I just finished dropping the tranny and fixing that and got it back together now. I did not have this problem when the SOHC Motor was in nor when I fired up the SR for the first time.

I did a quick check and it seemed like all of the grounds were connected. I was going to go ahead and replace the OEM battery terminals and double check all my grounds again. Taking them off and putting them back on.

I've had weird electrical issues in the past with my previous 240 but nothing like this. Anyone run into this same problem before and have some advice? Never hurts to ask.

The car was a stock '90 SOHC prior to dropping the SR in.

Tyler_240
12-27-2015, 06:11 AM
Found this on the Heavythrottle Guide...its worth checking
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Odd electrical behavior in dash, interior lights

ECU plug may not be tightened all the way down. This causes all kinds of weird different problems. Also check for mis-wired grounds (especially main power and turbo timer wiring) back-feeding power thru the ground system.