PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About 'Collectors'...

dizzariot
12-10-2015, 10:14 PM
With the YAJ thread available for all of the fucking fuckboys to troll I thought I'd start another discussion on some shit that pisses me off (like everything doesn't already.)

I want to talk about 'collectors'...or people that like to call themselves that.

I just want to say that I understand the impulse to buy up rare parts...I really do. It's a whole lot of thrill-of-the-hunt and thrill-of-the-kill going on and browsing YAJ used to be one of my favorite passtimes. Nowadays, however, I feel like this 'hobby' is one practiced by a ton of assholes looking to make a quick buck.

I've been reprimanded on the forum for calling bullshit in FS threads. I understand it's not allowed, but at the same time I do feel compelled to call someone out on their bullshit. When people do the same to me in my FS thread it's fine...as long as their facts are straight and they present themselves in dignified manner. I openly welcome challenges to my prices as long as there's evidence to back up those claims. For fuck's sake look at the price my car is listed for. What I can't seem to stand or condone are the cunts out there saying shit is 'rare' when it's not, or overpricing their YAJ parts from ever-burgeoning-hauls for insane amounts. Capitalism is al fine and well, but where do we draw the fucking line?

In the past month I've seen a number of things listed as 'rare' when they're easily accessible and I've seen things that cost <$10 sell for 5 times as much. How do you guys cope with this shit? Do you nut up and pay the bill or do you go out and try to find your own way? Why do we let these guys get away with this shit?

Not that you'd call him a 'collector', but there's a dude on IG that says he 'imports wheels himself' when I know for a fact he uses Streeter. He sells sets of Volks for about $200 less than US market prices and makes a fucking mint. I understand that if people are gullible enough to pay for it then it's fair game but at what point do you just feel like a fucking scam artist?

KiLLeR2001
12-10-2015, 10:36 PM
My biggest gripe at the moment is the price for a clean set of bricks. These were the most commonly produced S13 Silvia headlights, they produce the worst light output compared to the duals and the trips, they were the cheapest to make, yet they are the most expensive because they look the best and everyone wants them. Yeah yeah supply and demand. Problem is, the supply is great and people still agree to the astronomical pricing. Pretty sad that a clean set of bricks are creeping up to the price of S15 headlights. Not sure when it started happening but it almost seems like everyone just collectively agreed that bricks are worth more, and the market fluctuated accordingly.

dizzariot
12-10-2015, 10:44 PM
...but the demand is due (in large part) to dudes on the forum that know these are hot ticket items and want to buy them solely because they're bound to get IG likes. Fuckers that this drive the costs up. They don't know about the production numbers or light output. All they know is "Bricks, br0."

silviamang
12-11-2015, 12:08 AM
With the increasing popularity of YAJ along with the high exchange rate of Yen and rediculous salary wages in the US, nearly everything I find on that sight is unobtainable. Even my friends say that they dont even bother with YAJ because the prices are just too dumb now.

5 years ago I could get a nice set of VSXXs or a spare pair fo TE37s with ease and without paying out the ass. Since VRWheels has completely changed the wheel market in the US, offering affordable relipping services, even the high off set 3 peice wheels that nobody used to give two shits about are crazy high. I remember paying less then 400USD for a nice set of VSXXs... and that was when the yen rate was in the toilet. Hell ive been looking for a set of Bee R B5s wheels for sooo long on YAJ and I see today that someone is selling a set in the US! Which is crazy, because I cant even find a set here! The irony.:-/ Sorry went on a little rant.

The YAJ thread is just the tip of the iceberg, Instagram has made it rediculously easy for these "middle men" to just advertise and sell this shit for sooo much more then its worth. Dont get me wrong, Streeters the man, but hopefully when he leaves for the winter holiday I will able to buy some stuff because all these "collectors" wont have a way to bid on this stuff.

Matej
12-11-2015, 12:41 AM
A couple of Nismo oil caps will pull premium one week before Formula Derp.

noesmee
12-15-2015, 06:22 AM
They don't know about the production numbers or light output. All they know is "Bricks, br0."http://goo.gl/3uUr5c

collegekid
12-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Weren't you yelling at me calling me a Zealot (still don't know the meaning of the word) and "trying to change the way the forum works" in another thread?

And yet here we are

I have no motivation to study for my last final tomorrow. Come on you, yell at me.

To stay on topic though, lots of people collect weird shit. I saw you saying some shit in the hot wheels thread and I guess you can relate it to barbie dolls that people spend insane amounts of money on. I know deep down you just want to yell at myboobknees180sx about what he does, we get it. Yeah he buys it and flips it and yeah its sad that kids will pay for it.
3/5 ads in the market place say some shit like "Rare, Discontinued, classic, genuine, sought after" and many other words similar to that.

I know its annoying in the sense that a lot of people started doing that shit so you can't even buy what you need anymore without some dickhead buying shit up to flip it.
People like that pretty much make their money off of young kids who spend their parents money or older people who have money and just recognize the brand and just pay for it no questions asked. You arent gonna be able to stop people from doing it and you can't stop stupid people from paying for it.

Some people collect snickers wrappers and we all say what the fuck.
Then there are some people who have sick ass car collections like Jay Leno and we are like Yeahhhhh Party like a rockstar

They will find any way to justify what they collect.

I agree with you on it beeing a pain in the ass to find anything oldschool that you like. What I've noticed is that if I genuinely stop myself from being hellbent on buying a specific branded part and stop myself from looking for it every damn second of my life, I will eventually find what I am looking for.

KAT-PWR
12-15-2015, 02:53 PM
I've always been a watch guy. So naturally I bought an HKS watch and one of the several Nismo watches. They're neat, wear the nismo watch daily as it is a G shock, tells time, stopwatch (good for work), dual time, date. Super comfortable and resilient. Plan to slowly buy all the nismo g shocks.

EDIT: I guess I didn't read any of your post

Mister.E
12-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Can I make a collection of all the threads where you bitch about shit that nobody cares about?

Nearly everything I needed for my car build so far I've purchased at a fair price either used or from a vendor. You don't NEED anything off of YAJ, but because it is now inherently harder or more difficult for you to acquire you feel the need to bitch about it.

Do you bitch about everything in life that throws you a curve ball man? Is it your job to protect us all from the evil tyranny of overpriced parts? Me personally, when I see an overpriced part, I either say fuck it and move on or subscribe to the thread and wait until the price drops. You do realize that just because some moron posts something at a super high price, that doesn't make you compelled to buy it, right?

You should try being happy about something for a change man, it can really do some good for you.

P.S. - The people you are bitching about are not collectors if they are just turning around and flipping the items.

Green Arrow
12-15-2015, 03:49 PM
This^
I collect money. Really hoping to make profit here soon....

dizzariot
12-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Can I make a collection of all the threads where you bitch about shit that nobody cares about?

Yes! You can!

Nearly everything I needed for my car build so far I've purchased at a fair price either used or from a vendor. You don't NEED anything off of YAJ, but because it is now inherently harder or more difficult for you to acquire you feel the need to bitch about it.

...well duh I made a thread for like-minded individuals, didn't I?

Do you bitch about everything in life that throws you a curve ball man? Is it your job to protect us all from the evil tyranny of overpriced parts? Me personally, when I see an overpriced part, I either say fuck it and move on or subscribe to the thread and wait until the price drops. You do realize that just because some moron posts something at a super high price, that doesn't make you compelled to buy it, right?

I bitch about spending countless hours on YAJ trying to find something when I know it's being poached by assholes. Here is where you miss the point. I don't feel compelled to buy it from them but the fucking fact that they troll YAJ all day scooping things up at a fair price does piss me off. It pisses me off because it's fucking greedy.

P.S. - The people you are bitching about are not collectors if they are just turning around and flipping the items.

That's why this word is in quotations.

Mister.E
12-16-2015, 08:02 AM
The point that you are missing is that nobody gives a damn. There is no reason we should have a thread whining about this shit.

You act like this trend of price gouging is something that recently came about... Many people in the military have been price gouging for years. They scoop shit up at the junkyard, UpGarage, or YAJ and turn around and flip it to people in the states for a ton more than what they paid. That's a part of life, get over it.

dizzariot
12-16-2015, 10:14 AM
The point that you are missing is that nobody gives a damn. There is no reason we should have a thread whining about this shit.

You act like this trend of price gouging is something that recently came about... Many people in the military have been price gouging for years. They scoop shit up at the junkyard, UpGarage, or YAJ and turn around and flip it to people in the states for a ton more than what they paid. That's a part of life, get over it.

Again, this is an Off Topic thread that's still (probably) not the stupidest thing in here. People obvious DO give a damn and that why a couple posted.

It's worth talking about because we sustain the assholes that price gouge. If more people were like Streeter then finding and buying old/discontinued things wouldn't mean breaking the bank.

Green Arrow
12-16-2015, 12:27 PM
http://members.trainorders.com/swsf/Cruising/Beating%20a%20dead%20horse%20plain.jpg

dizzariot
12-16-2015, 12:32 PM
I appreciate your attempts to troll. I hope you enjoy the flak you receive from myself and other Zilvia members. Good luck.

ZenkiKid
12-16-2015, 01:00 PM
In the past month I've seen a number of things listed as 'rare' when they're easily accessible and I've seen things that cost <$10 sell for 5 times as much. How do you guys cope with this shit? Do you nut up and pay the bill or do you go out and try to find your own way? Why do we let these guys get away with this shit?

Yup, our FS forum is flooded with this and IG dudes selling shit sized wheels for 2-3x they paid for them. Shit sized wheels on YAJ go for next to nothing (before shipping)

Everybodys either buying cars and parting them out or buying random garbage on YAJ and selling them for a massive premium.

FaLKoN240
12-16-2015, 07:31 PM
I always laugh when I see people selling POORLY sized wheels for twice what they paid to get over here.

Like don't bother buying cheap shit if you're not going to relip them. You're playing yourself sitting on a set of wheels someone is gonna have to drop another grand on.

dizzariot
12-16-2015, 11:21 PM
I always laugh when I see people selling POORLY sized wheels for twice what they paid to get over here.

Like don't bother buying cheap shit if you're not going to relip them. You're playing yourself sitting on a set of wheels someone is gonna have to drop another grand on.

Yeah dude most of these guys are so fucking lazy with it that they just post up shitty pictures and shit out a close-to-new price. Like I'm going to fucking pay $200 of US MSRP for some TE37s.

Phlip
12-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Is this about me snapping up Hotwheels cars that I have observed from conversations with people in other states -- through conversations with them -- and selling them on to partially sustain my own hobby?
Because I have 4 of those Kaido Fairlady Z and three Hover Mode Deloreans I can save you some hunt time on.

CrimsonRockett
12-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Is this about me snapping up Hotwheels cars that I have observed from conversations with people in other states -- through conversations with them -- and selling them on to partially sustain my own hobby?
Because I have 4 of those Kaido Fairlady Z and three Hover Mode Deloreans I can save you some hunt time on.

You're the worst kind of person.

How dare you offer me a convenient way of locating/purchasing something I'm interested in.

drift freaq
12-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Mmm Kaido Fairlady Z me want.

Seriously people need to get over the whole collector thing. There are always going to be collectors. People seem to have an innate nature towards collecting. After all man initially was a hunter gatherer !

Jokes aside fact is there are collectors in everything. As far as selling stuff goes it's caveat emptor.

If people are going to buy stuff or want stuff ? They owe it themselves to learn and know so they can make informed decisions.

If people are willing to pay more let them. Just because you feel someone is selling something overpriced is it going to change it? No, it will still happen.

The Market will control itself, by people opening or not opening their wallet.

Phlip
12-19-2015, 12:58 PM
You're the worst kind of person.

How dare you offer me a convenient way of locating/purchasing something I'm interested in.
So I am offering a desired service to people while making beer money? I should ban myself even though I have ONLY done this on FB so far.

Mmm Kaido Fairlady Z me want.

You know how to find me, I have four.
lol.

dizzariot
12-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Noooo this is more in relation to YAJ finds and car parts. I definitely want them Hot Wheels.