PDA

View Full Version : Built TT 6-speed Supra vs Built, swapped NA Supra

slowzzz
12-10-2015, 11:24 AM
So I came across a '94 Supra on craigslist that was originally an NA 5-speed car. A JDM 2jzgte w/ 20k miles was swapped and so was the v160 (which I really care about). The engine is stock bottom end, heads, etc. Currently has a Precision 6870 turbo (no specific specs on which one), full exhaust, FMIC. The fuel system is pretty robust, makes a tick under 700whp on E85. Clutch has been upgraded to handle the power as well.

The car itself has 240k miles. He's asking $35k. I know this isn't the Supraforums, but that's pretty dead -- would you buy it if you had the money? Would it bother you to know the VIN says it's supposed to an NA Supra? Like would you regret buying it down the road because it's not an authentic manual twin turbo?

Future240
12-10-2015, 12:21 PM
I answer your question with a question.

Do you regret buying a 240sx and swapping in an engine knowing you did not legitmately buy a Nissan Silvia?

slowzzz
12-10-2015, 12:39 PM
I answer your question with a question.

Do you regret buying a 240sx and swapping in an engine knowing you did not legitmately buy a Nissan Silvia?

If I wanted an authentic rhd Silvia, yes. If I just wanted a 240sx with an SR20DET I wouldn't care. I do want an authentic twin turbo manual Supra, but the prices for them are just silly now...

Just trying to figure out if the desire still makes sense or if I'd be just as happy with the one I described. :ugh:

I also haven't had a chance to drive a Supra and don't know if they're just straight line monsters or what.

silviamang
12-10-2015, 06:15 PM
So I came across a '94 Supra on craigslist that was originally an NA 5-speed car. A JDM 2jzgte w/ 20k miles was swapped and so was the v160 (which I really care about). The engine is stock bottom end, heads, etc. Currently has a Precision 6870 turbo (no specific specs on which one), full exhaust, FMIC. The fuel system is pretty robust, makes a tick under 700whp on E85. Clutch has been upgraded to handle the power as well.

The car itself has 240k miles. He's asking $35k. I know this isn't the Supraforums, but that's pretty dead -- would you buy it if you had the money? Would it bother you to know the VIN says it's supposed to an NA Supra? Like would you regret buying it down the road because it's not an authentic manual twin turbo?

It sounds like you are trying to justify getting something you dont really want from others peoples desire. If YOUR desire is to own a Supra then get the car. If your desire is to own an all number matching, full service record from toyota, only xxxx made, blah blah Unicorn that you would be scared to drive on the weekend, then wait for one of those.

Most of the Supraforums guys actually slam the N/A swapped cars because the TT is superior from all. But also the whole TT vs N/A swapped subject really only applies to an all original TT manual. If a person was looking to spend the big bucks on an all original car, then this N/A would not apply, neither would a TT with the same exact mods.

Also the Supra drives good, not only in a straight line.

starfireS14
12-16-2015, 05:59 AM
I have a 95 NA Supra I'm doing TT swap in 6spd etc....I only wanted a Hardtop Supra which was easier to find NA. I could have waited for a TT but I'm fine with having a NA VIN. Some people care about original TT's and some don't like me.

simmode1
12-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Most of the Supraforums guys actually slam the N/A swapped cars because the TT is superior from all.
Aside from the GTE engine and the 6spd trans, what makes the TT so much more superior than the N/A?

KAT-PWR
12-16-2015, 08:17 AM
It's just not going to hold its value as it's legit TT counter part when the price of these cars goes up.

silviamang
12-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Aside from the GTE engine and the 6spd trans, what makes the TT so much more superior than the N/A?

In America, the differential, brakes, and VIN. (I suppose)

I personally dont think there is anything special or superior about original TT 6 speed cars. They are far from my budget and i love my SZ R (N/A 6 speed)

And there are also American Supra guys that wont touch a JDM swapped car. Other then the EGR crap that most people toss anyways if they are going to build it along with turbos and injectors, I have no clue why it would matter.

Like I said before to the OP, to me, it sounds like a car he doesn't want to buy, and I wouldn't if I wasn't entirely sure.

silviamang
12-16-2015, 08:45 AM
It's just not going to hold its value as it's legit TT counter part when the price of these cars goes up.

Pretty much. But Im thinking, "How much more can these cars actually go?"

Everyone thought that the swapped 240sx value would drop once the Silvias started rolling in from Japan. But from what I can see prices havent budged a bit.

Im interested to see what prices for Supras are going to look like when all the thrashed/rusted cheap JDM models start trickling down from Canada and the market is flooded.

Who knows, like we have seen before, it might not even make a difference. There are people who want original factory, then there are people who dont care. I think its just two different markets.

Highway Riding
12-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Supra's will keep rising no matter what. First thing is first E85? Is this car gonna sit for long periods? The NA wouldn't deter me at all but 35K would. For that you could find a legit TT.

Corbic
12-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Pretty much. But Im thinking, "How much more can these cars actually go?"

Have you seen 911 prices lately?

That's how high.

There is a finite number of 6apd TT cars sold in the US. These are considered the pinnacle of the import sports cars. It's also hailed alongside the 993 TT, 355 and Diablo as the apex of 90's super sports cars.

That finite number dwindles every year because of accidents, modifications and "cuz race cars". Each year more people are able to afford them and each year inflation devalues your dollars buying ability.

Just like the R35 is no replacement for the R34, their will never be another Supra TT even if there is.

So yeah, I don't see $100k being out of the question.

A RHD Supra and the SC will never be viable replacements. I do believe the NA MKIV is holding back TT prices. I'm also surprised that any NA cars still exist....

Corbic
12-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Im interested to see what prices for Supras are going to look like when all the thrashed/rusted cheap JDM models start trickling down from Canada and the market is flooded.

Nothing.

JDM TT has the shitty ceramic turbos and is rated at 280hp. The majority are also R154 cars. V160 is still a $5k transmission.

starfireS14
12-19-2015, 07:22 AM
^^MKIV Supras never came with R154 even in Japan. MKIII Supras did. JDM MKIV NA's have W58 and some did actually come factory with V160/1.

Corbic
12-19-2015, 12:40 PM
^^MKIV Supras never came with R154 even in Japan. MKIII Supras did. JDM MKIV NA's have W58 and some did actually come factory with V160/1.

Are you sure about that?

I know the SC300 came with a R154 in turbo guise and W58 domestically.

starfireS14
12-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Are you sure about that?

I know the SC300 came with a R154 in turbo guise and W58 domestically.

I'm very sure been in the JZ game for a long time. No MKIV Supra came with the R154 usdm or jdm. You're right Soarers came with R154 along with Chasers. SC300's stateside never came with R154 since they only came in 2JZGE vs 1JZGTE like in Japan.