PDA

View Full Version : The next big thing?

bing
09-05-2004, 02:13 PM
what is it?

the days when wide-mouth veilside kits and all the VIS knock-offs were cool are years behind us.

more recently of course, it has been JDM TYTNESS, and drift.

but these phenomena are a few years old now too.

up here in Canada, ontario to be exact, we are usually a coupe years behind Cali as far as catching on to all the fads.

so i ask:

what is the next big thing?

surely people are tiring of drift already now that APC has jumped on.

what are all the underground secret societies brewing that will hit the covers of SCC and import tuner 3 years from now?

this is meant to be sort of a discussion as to what is the new thing, or what you expect will be in the near future.

obviously some people are going to post ghey pics and be all sarcastic, but maybe there could be some genuine insight here?

proj240sx
09-05-2004, 02:36 PM
i just see more people jumping on the bandwagon because they saw it in a magazine or something...more e-touge and e-drifters..and apc burning in hell for trying to jump in because they have so many good suspension components and engine add ons for ka/sr...har har..

mk20116
09-05-2004, 02:38 PM
apc
"drifting is the new fad, and we want to be a part of it".....(something like that...oh god..)

offtopic...anybody see that 7-sec saturn that has a giant apc sticker on it. wonder what part did apc provide.

Ricer240sx
09-05-2004, 02:44 PM
apc
"drifting is the new fad, and we want to be a part of it".....(something like that...oh god..)

offtopic...anybody see that 7-sec saturn that has a giant apc sticker on it. wonder what part did apc provide.
the sticker :duh: :bigok: :D

Var
09-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Well usually there are a bunch of new fads, then people go back to the original. So i predict that grip driving is making a comeback. Some may ask..where did grip driving go? i've been racing on the track for years now..yeah but it's coming back for the people that thought drifting was a fad in the first place. I dont think drifting is a fad, i still think it's loads of fun.

Chernobyl
09-05-2004, 02:54 PM
I'd like to see mid-late 90's import car styling come back. Retro style: clear taillights that light up pink at night... its funny how I never see these any more.

On a more serious note, I think Time Attack cars will be the next big thing to hit the US shores. Full-out-no-holds-barred cars made to set the fastest one-lap time on a track. I can't get enough of this idea. The most extreme stickiest tires, the biggest wings, the most powerful engines. Just enough to get the car around the course once without blowing up or getting airborne. Love it.

rizzle
09-05-2004, 04:16 PM
I think vip styling maybe the next bandwagon is next to get jumped on a few years from now. Especially with scion realising the xb and xa more companies are going to target the youth market with them. vip styling is the shit but fucking expensive junction produce body kits run about 3k for car likes lexus ls and g's (aristos and celsiors iin jdm land)

bing
09-05-2004, 04:22 PM
VIP is a good one,

grip driving amoing other similars (auto-X) is probably as close to a staple as this culture has wouldnt you say?

i guess to be more specific, what do you think the cars on your street will start looking like in the future.

obviously we laugh at anyone who take an old cavalier or even a civic and does the motegi rims, orange / green / baby blue paint scheme and a wack as poor-fitting fibreglass kit.

but there are also cars around that you look at and say: "damn, that guy is a few steps ahead!"

what is the $hit in japan right now?

fast will always be cool, but what will be stylish?

SUV's and big chrome rims are wackolla, it's a fraudelent status thing, as opposed to a tuner thing obviously.

but as mentioned in the first post, looking JDM is a few years old now, frig i bet there are thousands of dudes in Cali who have had that look for upwards of 5+ years now. mean while in my town there are like 3-4 people doing it, and everyone else is stuck in 1997.

MakotoS13
09-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Well usually there are a bunch of new fads, then people go back to the original. So i predict that grip driving is making a comeback. Some may ask..where did grip driving go? i've been racing on the track for years now..yeah but it's coming back for the people that thought drifting was a fad in the first place. I dont think drifting is a fad, i still think it's loads of fun.

i hate hate HATE it when people use the the phrase "grip driving". it basically denotes that the main purpose of driving was to sling your tail through turn achieving minimal traction and maximum lateral slide.

drifting is a fad just like civics and now 240's. "grip" driving will never need a comeback tour on account of that is what all of real motorsports. ya know, aside from the X-game-automotive drifting bullcrap.

p.s. i only despise drifting due to everyone thinking its the jesus of car stuff. woopity freaking do, you can fan the tail of a car with 205's on a 7" wide rim. man, i bet that takes tons of power AND skill.

rizzle
09-05-2004, 04:42 PM
skill yes power no ... drifting a fad? I can agree somewhat. As a motorsport it's been around for a long ass time. It's just getting more exposure in the U.S. and worldwide other than japan. The exposure has turned it somewhat into a fad, but once the masses realize that it's not for them they will just move onto something else. Personally I never heard of drifting up until I bought my first s14 and was looking around the net to learn more shit about my car. Seems fun but I don't think it's for me.

TheSnail
09-05-2004, 04:49 PM
There is one thing I would hate to see on us shores. Those silly looking exhausts that some Japaneese put on their car, the ones that come out the back then cock up and go higher the the roof of the car. Some of you know what Im talking about, like the one that is shaped like a star. I wonder is any one in the states already has one on his car, that would be hidious. And those vans, please dont let that be "the new thing".

TheSnail
09-05-2004, 04:55 PM
This is it..... Amazing....

http://www.youatemybreakfast.com/images/japan/bosozoku/DSC00177.JPG

Heartwork
09-05-2004, 04:59 PM
VIP has been pretty strong in the US lately...
people in Japan are going everything LEATHER though...
the next big fad is nothing, hopefully....

rizzle
09-05-2004, 05:01 PM
bosozoku or whatever they call it. with the exposed oil coolers and shit. ya I don't find it tasteful :\

TokyoNights
09-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Top Speed!!!!

TokyoNights
09-05-2004, 05:06 PM
and dick tip mufflers
http://www.5zigenusa.com/images/exh/pracer_gn2.jpg

Salty_X
09-05-2004, 05:09 PM
The most extreme stickiest tires, the biggest wings, the most powerful engines.
Most ricers think they've accomplished this already... :ughd:

I'd love to see bozosoku style get big here, but I doubt it will. Even if it caught on, the cops would shut it down pretty quick I'd imagine.

VIP would definitely be cool, but VIP is an expensive style, hence the VIP-ness. Aside from the richer people modifying actual VIP cars like Lexi and Infinitis, I think the closest "big thing VIP style" could get would be tastefully modified Accords and Acuras.

Since "import culture" is basically centered around California the next big thing will probably come from here, and with all the smog laws and major cracking-down on imports that's going on, my best guess would be a lot of people building up radical smog-exempt imports like old Datsuns or Toyotas or even Hondas.
Cars like this (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=60972) is where we should be heading as far as I'm concerned.

The ROMAN
09-05-2004, 05:19 PM
The next big thing? Braking races! Cars get up to 100+mph and see who can stop the fastest.
Since "import culture" is basically centered around California the next big thing will probably come from here, and with all the smog laws and major cracking-down on imports that's going on, my best guess would be a lot of people building up radical smog-exempt imports like old Datsuns or Toyotas or even Hondas.
Maybe then people will start building up electric cars. That oughta be funny. Instead of shooting blue flames out the muffler the car will make your hair stand up when you walk past it.

rizzle
09-05-2004, 05:22 PM
omg that 240z made me splooge allover myself

nightwalker
09-05-2004, 05:34 PM
VIP+drifting....that's the new style.

timmybgood
09-05-2004, 06:00 PM
the next biggest thing is...rust

mike13
09-05-2004, 06:39 PM
i think time attack will be the next big thing... its got the same appeal as drifting and the same kind of cars and attitude, but its actually based on timed performance and not a judges opinion, which seems to be the major problem people have with drifting.

OptionZero
09-05-2004, 06:40 PM
The question is, how will they rice out time attack cars? Just more widebody and gaudy wings? same ol' shit

mike13
09-05-2004, 06:48 PM
The question is, how will they rice out time attack cars? Just more widebody and gaudy wings? same ol' shit
i think the point is the novelty will wear off and kids will want to go fast as fuck in their drift cars that can easily be converted to time attack cars. swap on proper sized tires, set up turbos and differentials for better response and handling, and start racing.

TheSnail
09-05-2004, 06:53 PM
I like the sound of time attack. Its unriceable if you think about it. Unless it was a competition is on who can jump in their car and get out the parking lot in the least amount of time, as cops roll in. But a ricer could only finish last and would only be a dissapointment too fellow ricers, so I belive they will stay away from time attact, becuase tit would give a reality check to ricers in were they stand in the performance world, and the would not like that.

wootwoot
09-05-2004, 11:00 PM
i like time attack a lot. speed channel needs to get in on that so i can see it more easily. i would really like to see that grow. rust allready hit over in europe with the MKI/II VW's. oldschool imports would be really cool to see grow. 1st gen rx-7's, datsuns, nissans, toyotas, that'd be fun to watch grow. i just dont see why so many of you think that trends are bad. its entertaining, gives me more fun stuff to watch.

AKADriver
09-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Drifting isn't the only big trend right now... retro '50s, rusty rat rods are also real big.

I think the next big thing is retro '80s. Retro '80s is big in fashion and media right now... dunno how that would play out exactly in car trends though. A lot of AE86 owners and E30 BMW 3-series owners are doing the retro '80s thing already just because that's when their cars were made.

Chernobyl
09-05-2004, 11:34 PM
lots of old school watercooled VW guys are into the 80's thing. I like it too. Good times.

You'll know the day has come when you see rear window louvers on an S13 hatch again.

Andrew Bohan
09-06-2004, 01:03 AM
nooooooooooo!!!! anything but louvers

i remember myself saying the same thing about bell bottoms in '92 though. and sure enough, they came back

Chernobyl
09-06-2004, 01:10 AM
I will personally give $5 to the first guy/girl I see rocking louvers (permanently) on their S13.

Gotta go find some for my FC..

SirWarrior
09-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Ummm, not to offend anyone but after watching too many euro videos lately and apparently they are really into burning out on the rims. I mean, they start doing donuts with tyres....... but some time later one of two things happen. 1, the tyres give out and they keep on doing donuts and/or 2 they overheat the biaaach!
Either way, its more entertaining to watch than the Left-Turn-Only Channel on the TV.
just my $.02

Chernobyl
09-06-2004, 02:01 AM
Those euro kids are crazy. I remember vids of guys doing donuts in hachirokus, with some other guy hanging out the passenger side window, and just meters from a huge crowd of people. Makes you wonder exactly how much Newcastle those Brits really drink...

Id-
09-06-2004, 02:07 AM
next big thing is older ~70s imports with motorswaps to be superfast

i think/hope that FWD cars will die out as the typical cars to have...
especially with the MKV supra coming out and tons of other RWD cars becoming very affordable

I personally wouldnt mind swapping a 2jz-gte into a 5.0 mustang :) use the awsome drag-racing suspension with a 2jz-gte and its crazy stock-long-block power capabilities

Johny5
09-06-2004, 10:20 AM
bosozuku...hopefully.

Skimafia
09-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Dont conform, do what you want. Its not about fads. I thought we all got over the fad thing in middle school and high school

Salty_X
09-06-2004, 10:56 PM
bosozuku...hopefully.
Word.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/salty_x/bozowooooo.jpg

wootwoot
09-06-2004, 11:27 PM
hey man, how'd you get a picture of my car...

SirWarrior
09-07-2004, 12:59 AM
Nice LaBaron !!!!!
LMFAO

J/K

tah
09-07-2004, 10:44 PM
http://www.fastandfuriouseast.com/galleries/ruff-rides/P1010011.jpg

Everyone will get a T-Rex.

SimpleS14
09-07-2004, 11:06 PM
^--- damn.....that is actually cool....I want one :)

Johny5
09-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Word.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/salty_x/bozowooooo.jpg

universally, there is no equal to bosozuku in my book. my and my friends were working on a support system for an exhaust that came out and up on my s14. i could not find a sound/convenient place for a bracket however. we were looking for about 3-4' of height...

Omnis
09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
I will personally give $5 to the first guy/girl I see rocking louvers (permanently) on their S13.

Gotta go find some for my FC..

was there any point to louvers besides looking...uhh...cool, i guess?

Johny5
09-08-2004, 12:16 AM
blocking out sun.

Omnis
09-08-2004, 02:40 AM
oh i see...

anyways....i think boso jumpsuits are the next greatest rage. :D

TheSquidd
09-16-2005, 04:38 PM
My vote goes for Boso. I'm manderel bending a moon shaped exhaust as we speak!

:mepoke:

TheSquidd
09-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow, I just accidentally revived an old thread o_0. Delete plz.

ultraman019
03-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Dont conform, do what you want. Its not about fads. I thought we all got over the fad thing in middle school and high school

For some reason, some people still cannot comprehend this. tsk tsk. . .

kingkilburn
03-21-2008, 10:46 AM
/\ fail /\

no thread from the dead

S14DB
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
For some reason, some people still cannot comprehend this. tsk tsk. . .

For some reason, Newbs bump 4yr old threads with idle chit chat... :hahano: