PDA

View Full Version : anyone in ca familiar with LIEN SALES?

180sExy
10-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Sold a car 4 years ago. I filled out the release of liability but the state came after me for registration fees because the individual I siold it too didn't pay for 2 years. So the state with held my taxes, now I got another letter stating they are planning on doing it again. Not only that the kid I sold the car too had it at a shop and they sent me a letter notifying me that they are putting a lien on the car because the person owes them $$$$. My question is if I pay the amout owed too the shop since I'm still the registered owner can I get the car if I ay the amount owed too the shop and get the car back????

zombiewolf513
10-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Seek an attorney.

ZenkiKid
10-27-2015, 11:44 AM
1. Lawyer up ASAP before this issue gets worse.

180sExy
10-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Damn......doesn't sound good :/

drift freaq
10-27-2015, 12:10 PM
First off if you did the release of liability then you should have been removed from any liability on the car. Sounds like someone at the DMV screwed up. Though sin you paid hue back fees through taxes and the title never got submitted. Then you could indeed file for a lost title and get a new one.

Under lien sales they are required to contact all previous registered owners of title. Indeed since they are lien selling you could indeed buy the car back through the lien sale by stepping and up paying the shop fees. In your case you might even be able to skip the lien sale paperwork step if your title is still in your name.

If it's worth it I would do it. All the shop wants is its money and the car out of there.

There is no need to get a lawyer involved in this as it's pretty straight forward stuff. You could even file a notarized statement about not owning the car, if you wanted to wash your hands of it.

It is interesting that he never started the title process by paying reg fees. So it would take the car out of the previous owners name title wise. It's the first thing you do even if you don't turn in the pink due to incomplete registration i.e. Smog check etc...

180sExy
10-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Well Im headed down there right now with the money to get the car back. If he dont want it I'll gladly take back lolz

ZenkiKid
10-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Any updates?

180sExy
11-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Went to try and get the car after getting some advice from a lawyer but thecar wasnt at the shop.They told me it was picked up, so trying to get ahold of him to get my money back so we shallsee.