PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP: S14 rotating clunking/knocking rear end @ load/throttle

s14Art
10-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Hi guys, here's a little story that may explain the problem I'm having, however, I think it's unlikely. VIDEO OF ISSUE BELOW.

I has just alligned the rear end of my car one day, with a significant amount of negative camber (-7.0). Took the car for a drive. About 6 miles down, after taking a somewhat aggressive corner, my driverside axle was torn off the axle-shaft.

Towed the car home and got under it: axle grease splattered everywhere. 1/6 bolts connecting the axle to the axle shaft wasnn't even there (heard it fly out when I blew the axle). A few of the other bolts were extremely loose.

Sounds like the axle stretched and pull it off the axle shaft, braking the axle loose.

I ordered a new axle and axle shaft for thr driverside. The reason why I ordered the axle shaft too is because the axle's enclosed cap had popped off when I blew the axle, and it had melted on to the axleshaft, so it was impossible to connect the new axle to that axle shaft.

Dropped the diff, installed everything. I also ordered a diff with the axle shafts, but didn't install it because the diff in there looked fine and there was very minimal shaft play.

So I put everything together and was back on the road. Car was perfect. Drove it for 2 weeks with no issues until one day i hear a clunking sound ONLY in 2nd gear and ONLY under load/throttle. Once I let go of the throttle, the noise went away. And there was absolutely no noise in other gears. But the performance of the car did not feel affected, so I drove it down to the mechanic the next day. He was moving the driveshaft and there was a shit load of shaft play between the diff and axles. He told me the diff needed to be changed at the least. Then we took it for a drive. Car was too loud, so he couldn't tell much about it. Told me to put the exhaust back on and bring it back the next day.

That same day, the clunking got louder and also started occuring under load/throttle in 3rd gear. I was worried, because the issue was getting worse. Fast forward three days to today and now the issue happens at all gears under throttle. Barely noticeable in 4th and 5th gear, but 2nd and 3rd is definitely noticeable.

To give a subjective explanation of how it sounds/feels: it sounds like something is loose, as it'll clunk loudly at the beginning. But as my speed/rpm increases, it's as if the momentum helps whatever that's rotating and clunking to pick up it's speed and quiet down because it's spinning faster. I know that was a terrible explanation lol. I imagine the axle spinning and clunking at 2nd gear and then as I increase the speed of the car, the axle begins to spin faster and clunking gets louder until eventually it's spinning so fast that the clunking begins to go away.

Btw, It has s15 HLSD, Peak Performance Rear Upper Camber Arms, Megan Rear Toe Arms, ST rear sway bar, Megan Coilovers.

Video below:

s14Art
10-25-2015, 10:46 AM
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k550/EstorilNaz/th_5447DE86-A79C-4C66-9FE1-044E5BF96E91_zpsjp5fdsle.jpg (http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k550/EstorilNaz/5447DE86-A79C-4C66-9FE1-044E5BF96E91_zpsjp5fdsle.mp4)

s14Art
01-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Issue fixed! Just thought I'd post this update since it seems like a lot of people were having the same problem....

When I replaced my rear-left axle, I put in an aftermarket one... Everything was fine for about a week, until the clunking started.

Lesson learned, DO NOT buy aftermarket axles. I found out I had an extra set of OEM axles that I put in the storage over a year ago. I put the OEM axle in and now the issue has been resolved. No more clunking or any noise for that matter.

Funny how a used OEM axle is more durable than a brand new aftermarket one.