PDA

View Full Version : transfering a title for a car shell

DRFT
09-01-2004, 10:40 PM
so i got a shell from a friend, and i want to transfer titles. Do i need to do any smog check or any of that stuff since im not registering it? or is transfering titles and registering a car the same thing? the reason i ask is cause well, the car has no engine and i want to transfer title and my friends say i need to ahve the car smogged but i cant. or do i have set it as non op? :ugh:

thx247
09-01-2004, 11:01 PM
shit you're even in Sac....DMV has its main office there. You can transfer a title without smog, you just can't complete registration.

Ritz S14
09-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Yup... congrats ^ you hit 1000 posts

DRFT
09-02-2004, 12:04 AM
thx247-anyclue on which one exactly is the main office building? or how i can tell which one it is? cause i doubt you have any idea since your not in sac
thanks

idlafie
09-02-2004, 12:26 AM
so i got a shell from a friend, and i want to transfer titles. Do i need to do any smog check or any of that stuff since im not registering it? or is transfering titles and registering a car the same thing? the reason i ask is cause well, the car has no engine and i want to transfer title and my friends say i need to ahve the car smogged but i cant. or do i have set it as non op? :ugh:

Check DMV website:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr32.htm

Smog check is applicable to all vehicles that you plan on driving on public roads, but since you don't plan on operating the vehicle, you can probably transfer title on it..when you do, ask them to register it as a Non-Operational vehicle. Registering it / Transfering title on it basically tells DMV & the police that you are now the new owner of the vehicle. That way they can trace the shell back to you and charge you the annual $15 non-operational renewal fees.
Anyhow, hope this answers your question.
ID
95 SE...registered..
97 SE...junk title...

DRFT
09-02-2004, 12:36 AM
ok cool, but lets say if i wanted to get it running down the road, would it be hard to make it an operational title?

idlafie
09-02-2004, 01:50 AM
ok cool, but lets say if i wanted to get it running down the road, would it be hard to make it an operational title?

Nope...shouldn't be a problem...websearch grasshopper...websearch...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr01.htm

You'll probably have to get an inspection for the vehicle, (brakes/lights/etc) along with the motor being checked out, (make sure it's a EPA-approved, US- certified engine for that model/year car or newer), along with a smog check to make sure the vehicle is not a gross polluter. And you'll probably have to pay registration fees to bring the registration to current year. A lot of stuff you need to do just to make DMV happy.

It'll probably be cheaper just to keep it as non-operational & use it as a track car.

Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID

pepe123
09-09-2016, 08:24 PM
I know its old but i seen on the id it says junk title 97 se.im about to buy a car with junk title. How hard is it to get back on the road