View Full Version : 95 S14 KA24DE no crank

89hatchman
10-18-2015, 01:55 PM
So I'm pretty stumped here. I recently bought a 95 S14 with the stock KA24DE and an auto transmission.

It sometimes will crank but 90% of the time it won't. It cranked yesterday morning and then wouldn't the rest of the day, it cranked this morning and now it won't at all.

When I turn the key to crank it the radio turns off, lights dim, and all the usual stuff happens that you'd expect. So I'd have to assume the key cylinder is functioning correctly. I even took it out and rotated it manually all the way but had the same results.

In an attempt to trouble shoot this I have jumped the auto plug that you loop when you do a manual swap. Still the same results.

I've replaced the black relay under the hood which I believe is the "clutch relay", also labeled ASCD relay. Same results.

Battery is good, it's fairly new and on a charger as I've done all this testing. Starter is good, because when I crawl under the car and manually send 12v to the solenoid it cranks and starts.

Could this be some sort of immobilizer system? As far as I know it's all stock. It's an SE model and has the factory alarm light near the hazards and defroster buttons.

Help!

cbeuglas
10-18-2015, 02:22 PM
I have had the one wire plug on the starter come loose (won't Stan on there tight). It gave me sometime start an sometime not issue. When it does not start is the starter turning over and just not firing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

89hatchman
10-18-2015, 11:31 PM
ok I kind of figured it out. I'm getting voltage to the plug that leads to the starter solenoid. Attached to that plug is a length of wire and a female spade connector. Somewhere in that length of wire the signal is getting fuzzy for whatever reason. I cleaned it up the best I could and now it'll start eventually, I just have to flick the key a couple times.

Weird.

heavenboundkevin
10-19-2015, 08:20 PM
I would also take a look at the wiring from the ignition switch that goes under the column back towards the firewall. I had starting issues like you and there was my problem

natas240
10-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Try tapping the starter solenoid with a small broomstick and hammer and see what that does. Your starter could be toast even if you still get voltage from it. Tap it twice and crank it see what happens. You'll notice the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk