PDA

View Full Version : SR KA HUD Tach Question

Nissandriver714
09-01-2004, 03:51 AM
Ok, this will be a long problem so please bear with me to get the full picture.
One day I was driving home, trying to merge onto freeway traffic, redlined 2nd--stayed at redline little longer than usual, but there's always fuel cut. So right afterwards, SR tach started jumping back and forth even though I'm no longer accelerating and in 3rd gear. Ever since that day, the tach would sometimes work perfectly and other times it would jump back and forth (especially on acceleration), sometimes even giving a 0 idle, but I'm sure my engine's still fine. After this problem, I decided to swap out the JDM guage cluster in kph to US (DOHC) HUD guage cluster. When I put the HUD guage cluster in with the KA tach and fired up the engine, it idles at 0, reved a couple of times after warm up and tach still not moving (Question 1: Is this normal for SR using DOHC KA guage cluster and tach to have a non-working tach?). Continue on....so I proceeded to swap out the KA tach for the SR tach anyways, the SR tach mostly work nowadays, but sometimes it gets jumpy and jumps around. As you can see, if you've patient enough to read all this is that it's hard to diagnose my problem if I don't know what's causing it, the tach itself or some rpm sensor somewhere? I've tried reading the S14 SR, but can't find the rpm sensor (Question 2: Where is the rpm sensor located at?) Suggestions are greatly appreciated because this gets annoying sometimes. Thanks

Nissandriver714
09-01-2004, 11:57 PM
help? suggestions? somebody here's gotta know a little bit about tachs or electronics.

kazuo
09-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Are you sure thats a DOHC cluster? It might not be, which explains why it doesnt work, and why it works fine when you put in the SR tach.

Nissandriver714
09-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Are you sure thats a DOHC cluster? It might not be, which explains why it doesnt work, and why it works fine when you put in the SR tach.
I'm pretty sure that it's a DOHC cluster, the seller told me this, and the redline is a solid 6900rpm. The SOHC have dash and a different redline, 6500rpm i think. So the question still stands if anyone can help me out. Thanks

phrozen
09-02-2004, 05:29 PM
bah sr ka sohc dohc tach.. dosent matter my friend has 95ka with sohc tach on in a 89 coupe