PDA

View Full Version : How to Beat a Ticket in California

KA24DESOneThree
08-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Yes, that was a statement, not a question. I don't get tickets. (Tomorrow I'm going to get a ticket... I'm jinxed now.)

I was talking to my friend who was ticketed for 58 in a 35 and GOT AWAY with it. I don't advocate speeding by 23mph on a busy town street where lots of people jaywalk, but eh... whatever. Here's what he told me to do to get out of a ticket on that street. It'd apply pretty much everywhere, I'd suppose.
"First, I did trial by written declaration, and the officer had to send stuff in. Then, I appeared in court; the officer had to come in on his day off. I had 8 pages of questions ready, so I was prepared. In California, if you are to use radar on a road, one must first complete a road survey then take the 85th percentile of the speeds drivers drive on the road and set the speed limit at or above that percentile. The 85th percentile for Mission by Albertson's (don't worry about where that is, it's meaningless to the point) was 41mph so the lowest speed limit they can have is 45mph. It is marked as 35mph. Therefore, the speed limit on the road is illegal, and all tickets issued are illegal as well. I won in like 3 minutes and even objected once."

That just might help you out of a bind.

twong85
08-31-2004, 06:24 PM
So he basically lost the first case with the trial by written declaration and won in the Trial De Novo(2nd chance in court appearance)? I've been told if you present the statement well enough and back it up you won't need to show up for the appeal.

thx247
08-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Thats not the perfect way to beat a ticket, but it is the correct way. If more people fought tickets we would be a whole lot better off. I'm doing trial by written declaration and then trial de novo just to make them earn whatever money they want to get out of me. Its free, and I'm not just going to give my cash away because some pricks set up a speed trap on the day I'm out driving.

theicecreamdan
08-31-2004, 09:31 PM
where could one find this "85th percentile" information about any given area?

drftwerks
08-31-2004, 09:56 PM
i was wondering the same thing.

rps13sh
08-31-2004, 10:07 PM
http://www.valentine1.com/

ZenkiS14
09-01-2004, 12:31 PM
I just tell cops I'm becoming a firefighter...

KA24DESOneThree
09-01-2004, 01:44 PM
If they don't have it, they have to do a survey, I'm guessing.