PDA

View Full Version : In this thread, I answer your computer questions.

Zoom8112
08-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Lets see, i just thought i'd give back to the community here and this is the only way how. before i got into cars, i was deeply into computers, and i mean deeply. i started about 5 yrs ago, building my own system, building them for family/friends, and also troubleshooting them. and all that work has gotten me a lab technician job at my university.

if you have any questions post here, and i will try to answer them the best i can. i will monitor this thread frequently, or if the problem is urgent, aim/yahoo me at zoom8112.

mrmephistopheles
08-28-2004, 08:33 PM
what can I do if someone has stoled my megahurtz?

S14DB
08-28-2004, 08:36 PM
yeah! my chip says 3200+ but I can only get 2.5megahurts. Do I need to crank the boost up?

Zoom8112
08-28-2004, 08:55 PM
what can I do if someone has stoled my megahurtz?

if your mega hurts, rub some ben-gay on it.

Bill Roberts
08-28-2004, 10:35 PM
I got these:
Question 1:
Drive "C" is ntfs
Drive "E" is fat 32.

I want to convert drive "E" to NTFS WITHOUT earasing any of its content as it is full.

How?? Is it possible?

Question 2:
Also, what do you think of SP2.

Good, bad, ugly?
Question 3:
Also, if I hope the memory hole up in bios, will that help my computer run faster?
Question 4:
I currently run at 4mB/second on cable modem. Are their any patches to make it fun faster? (d loads...and I know I am at the mercy of the other servers, but it seemed to run about 4.6megs once..and no one was added to this system in the area)
5:

In control panel>add/remove programs , I have a bunch of programs that say hot fix. Can I delete them? WHat do they do?? is this the restore? I have over 70 of these.

LAst one....

In start-up. I delete Quick time movie player. If I use it again, on startup it is back. How can I keep this fucker from ever starting up again unless I tell it to? I checked all the properties and killed the startup in control alt delete/admin several times.

OK..

Thanks!

Jeff240sx
08-28-2004, 10:47 PM
I got these:
Question 1:
Drive "C" is ntfs
Drive "E" is fat 32.

I want to convert drive "E" to NTFS WITHOUT earasing any of its content as it is full.
Not that I know of. Changing the file system requires a reformat to my knowledge.

Question 2:
It's made so stupid people don't open things called "WTCxxx.jpg" email virus (that's real. Don't be stupid and open in) when they recieve an email from someone they don't know. I don't mind it though. Windows correllates with your antivirus, has IE with popup blocker (I use Avant though), ect.

5:In control panel>add/remove programs , I have a bunch of programs that say hot fix. Can I delete them? WHat do they do?? is this the restore? I have over 70 of these.

Those should be from windows update. Removing them puts your system at risk for whatever it patched. Or, remove them, then d/l SP2 and it will tell you if you need anything else. Chances are SP2 addresses all that in one download. Be ready for 400megs of stuff and an 85meg d/l for SP2.

In start-up. I delete Quick time movie player. If I use it again, on startup it is back. How can I keep this fucker from ever starting up again unless I tell it to? I checked all the properties and killed the startup in control alt delete/admin several times.
Quicktime sucks. Delete it imo. I just redownload it when I have to see something in QT.
Yea. I'm not a software person, so 3, 4, and the last one I don't really know.

On a side note, you all should become Premium members, as I taught a lesson in RAM in the private forum, as well as a page of sheer computer tech :)
-Jeff

Zoom8112
08-28-2004, 10:53 PM
I got these:
Question 1:
Drive "C" is ntfs
Drive "E" is fat 32.

How?? Is it possible?

obviously it would erase the data on your HD. the only method i can think of right now is if you converted it, and then ran some sort of recovery software on that partition later.

an even easier method is to backup your data to another disk and then converting your disk and then putting the data back from your backup.

Question 2:
Good, bad, ugly?

i dont really think anything of it yet. it its beta form, users seem to have liked it and not found anything too wierd. my work has just recently deployed it and there hasnt been enough time to see the results.

Question 3:
Also, if I hope the memory hole up in bios, will that help my computer run faster?

i dont understand this question. hope memory hole up in bios?

Question 4:
I currently run at 4mB/second on cable modem. Are their any patches to make it fun faster? (d loads...and I know I am at the mercy of the other servers, but it seemed to run about 4.6megs once..and no one was added to this system in the area)

there are tweaks to increase your speeds. www.dslreports.com has these tweaks. i know its a dsl site, but there maybe pertinent broadband information there. or you can search google for cable internet speed tweaks.

5:

In control panel>add/remove programs , I have a bunch of programs that say hot fix. Can I delete them? WHat do they do?? is this the restore? I have over 70 of these.

no these hotfixes are required patches for your system. yes there are many patches for windows OS. do not delete/remove these.

LAst one....

you can do this two ways. the first way is to go into quicktime options and then select it to not startup automatically. another way is to go to start -> run. type in msconfig. then go into startup and unselect quicktime.exe.

zero.counter
08-28-2004, 10:55 PM
I wish I could answer all of these questions since I am biting my tounge, but this would constitute thread-jacking...:(

Zoom8112
08-28-2004, 10:57 PM
It's made so stupid people don't open things called "WTCxxx.jpg" email virus (that's real. Don't be stupid and open in) when they recieve an email from someone they don't know. I don't mind it though. Windows correllates with your antivirus, has IE with popup blocker (I use Avant though), ect.

avant is a decent browser. one thing i cant deal with though is that you cannot open two instances of avant. you can only open tabs. but what if i want two avant browsers open? what i use instead is myIE2. its very much like plain IE but with tabbed browsing.

On a side note, you all should become Premium members, as I taught a lesson in RAM in the private forum, as well as a page of sheer computer tech

there is a private forum?

Jeff240sx
08-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Yes. It's one of the perks of premium membership.
Anyway, what would you want with 2 instances of Avant open, when you can have infinite tabs open?
Finally, I'm sure that by making this thread, Zoom wants to help people, and if you help people in his thread, it will ONLY be because he made it. So I doubt a thread jacking would be felt. So don't hold your info if you know it. I didn't.
-Jeff

Bill Roberts
08-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks so far folks! The memory hole question was a typo. I meant to say...if I increase the size of the memory hole in bios, would this help anything? I have 1024M of ram and memory hole is set at 512M. The next two settings is 1024 and 2048 megs. I remember someone a long time ago (when 64megs was the bomb) to never open it more than half your ram...but who knows??

Will deleting in msconfig the AT EXE. kill q time all together or would It just "come on" if I select a file?

Also, that E drive is 120G and is full. I don't have another drive to dump it to...and right now...I guess I am going to have to burn a shit load of DVD's (30 of them or so) to save. That will take all damned day.

S14DB
08-28-2004, 11:48 PM
If you have xp there is a fat32 to NTFS converter. Run CONVERT.EXE

CONVERT E: /FS:NTFS

Andrew Bohan
08-28-2004, 11:57 PM
i need a good web interface development tool for oracle 8i. what you got for me?

SR240DET
08-28-2004, 11:57 PM
ok...

my sister took my damn PC to college... now im stuck with my g/f's Ibook... that damn mac laptop thing.. im running Mac OS X Memory:256 MB Processor:600MHz PowerPC G3..... well anyways... i wanted to know if its possible to run windows apps with mac... like Photoshop.. and dreamweaver... ( yes i did pay for them... there not warez) thanks for anyreaply!...

S14DB
08-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Start:control panel:quicktime

select the "browser plugin" tab.
unclick them all

Bbandit
08-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Okay I have a question

Somehow my RAM leaked.
I have 512 DDR ram and when im idling without opening any programs.. I only have 315 MB of ram.
And this is because I installed FreeRAM XP Pro (Somekind of like a RAM aid/boost)

Is there anyway that I can fix my leakage without having to reformat my computer?

Edit: I have another question

Can you explain how to overclock a processor and a video card?
Is there any required software to get this done?
Whats the concequences of overclocking your processor and video card?

Okay thats it for now :)

thx247
08-29-2004, 02:31 AM
ok...

my sister took my damn PC to college... now im stuck with my g/f's Ibook... that damn mac laptop thing.. im running Mac OS X Memory:256 MB Processor:600MHz PowerPC G3..... well anyways... i wanted to know if its possible to run windows apps with mac... like Photoshop.. and dreamweaver... ( yes i did pay for them... there not warez) thanks for anyreaply!...

Yes. Virtual PC 6 will do that. Its gonna hurt though. megahurtz....

You are also low on ram to run vpc. 512mb would be better.

Zoom8112
08-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Thanks so far folks! The memory hole question was a typo. I meant to say...if I increase the size of the memory hole in bios, would this help anything? I have 1024M of ram and memory hole is set at 512M. The next two settings is 1024 and 2048 megs. I remember someone a long time ago (when 64megs was the bomb) to never open it more than half your ram...but who knows??

Will deleting in msconfig the AT EXE. kill q time all together or would It just "come on" if I select a file?

Also, that E drive is 120G and is full. I don't have another drive to dump it to...and right now...I guess I am going to have to burn a shit load of DVD's (30 of them or so) to save. That will take all damned day.

i'm not sure about memory holes in the bios. i've never actually heard about tweaking it for performance.

you arent deleting the quicktime.exe in msconfig, you are merely deselecting it from the startup protocol.

for converting your drive, is there anything reason you dont want it fat32? do you have another computer or access to one? you can transfer those files over a network to back them up on another comp.

Zoom8112
08-29-2004, 08:03 AM
ok...

as others have stated, there are OS emulators that allow you to run windows apps on your mac. one popular one is virtualPC and if you buy it, it comes with a version of windows. i remember getting one a few years ago, and it came with win98se.

if it doesnt, you maybe able to score winXP from your local university. at my bookstore, i can get winXP pro for 80.00.

Zoom8112
08-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Okay I have a question

Somehow my RAM leaked.
I have 512 DDR ram and when im idling without opening any programs.. I only have 315 MB of ram.
And this is because I installed FreeRAM XP Pro (Somekind of like a RAM aid/boost)

Is there anyway that I can fix my leakage without having to reformat my computer?

Edit: I have another question

Can you explain how to overclock a processor and a video card?
Is there any required software to get this done?
Whats the concequences of overclocking your processor and video card?

Okay thats it for now :)

if you have a ram leak because of that ram program, then just delete/remove it from your system. these ram optimizers dont really do much, they're more gimmicky than anything else.

overclocking a processor and video card is a bit complicated. first thing is you should have proper cooling for your hardware because you will be stressing it more and running them out of spec.

when you overclock your processor you are basically running it at a higher speed than the default one from the factory. for example a pentium 4 2.0A ghz processor has a 20x multiplier and a 100mhz front side bus (FSB). (20x100=2000mhz or 2ghz). so when you overclock it, you would raise the FSB to 133mhz. so your final speed would be 20x133=2660mhz. that is a 660mhz speed increase for your system. this is just an example.

there are some things to note: intel processors are mulitplier locked so the only tweak you can do is raise the FSB. amd processors are sometimes mulitplier locked but you can unlock it with some tools.

FSB overclocks are more effective because you are overclocking the ram and processor. the FSB is the data pathway from your processor to your ram basically. BUT by overclocking the FSB you also stress the other components in your system such as pci cards, and your agp video card. more recent motherboards have come out with pci/agp dividers so that you can overclock higher without stressing everything else in your system.

there isnt any required software for processor overclocking, it is mainly done in the bios.

video card overclocking is the same. you are just increasing the speed of the graphics card ram and chipset. nvidia and ati have programs that actually let you overclock thier cards. it is usually located in the display settings in windows.

some consequences of overclocking are: voiding the warranty on your hardware, and shorter lifespan. the reason why people overclock despite these consequences are that there is free performance, and it will shorten your lifespan of your hardware but we're talking about shortening the lifespan of a processor from say 10yrs to 6yrs or so and not many people even keep thier computers for that long.

other consequences are unstable operating systems, or fried hardware if you arent doing it properly.

Bill Roberts
08-29-2004, 12:24 PM
CONVERT E: /FS:NTFS

Will this wipe out the drive?

I remember when I used the "compress files" on the CD drive and it was because it was NTFS and I gained a lot of space. I wanted to compress the E drive and get some space and I thought ntfs file type would help.

I appreciate the QT advice.

SilviaDriver
08-29-2004, 12:42 PM
FoxFire is also a good browser. its very simple.

just thought id throw that in there

citizen
08-29-2004, 12:52 PM
How To Internat???

S14DB
08-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Will this wipe out the drive?

I remember when I used the "compress files" on the CD drive and it was because it was NTFS and I gained a lot of space. I wanted to compress the E drive and get some space and I thought ntfs file type would help.

I appreciate the QT advice.
No, cause it's Convert not format.

DuffMan
08-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Converting to NTFS does NOT erase the data you dorks! :smash:

Zoom8112
08-29-2004, 04:57 PM
these guys are right. i just researched and converting does not erase data. i would do a backup anyhow, just in case.

AN89HATCH
08-30-2004, 02:44 AM
why does my media player keep deleeting its self?, and also why can i not perform a disk clean up, I click disk clean up, and everything freezes, I tryed to clean it for 3 days, and it was just stuck on 3 bars :down:

mrmephistopheles
08-30-2004, 03:41 AM
FireFox is also a good browser. its very simple.

there, fixed.

mrmephistopheles
08-30-2004, 03:42 AM
How To Internat???

:keke: www.aol.com! :keke:

RedlineRacer
08-30-2004, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't switch to NTFS. I haven't seen too much a of a difference with it and it can cause some issues. Also, if you want to ever switch back to fat32 you are kinda skrewed cause it is tough to switch back. Mostly, NTFS is for networks. If you aren't on one there is no sense in wasting the time to go through all the trouble.

MakotoS13
08-30-2004, 11:39 AM
NTFS is betteron drives over 10gigs in size.

oh wait... how do you change the processorfluid? do i need a can of RAM cleaner? i mean, how often should i rotate my HDD platters?

sykikchimp
08-30-2004, 12:08 PM
NTFS is a better file system that FAT32. Faster, better security, more stable, bla, bla.. But if your currently FAT32, converting to NTFS can sometimes cause a degredation in performance. The best way is to format the drive as NTFS, not convert.

Zoom8112
08-30-2004, 12:09 PM
why does my media player keep deleeting its self?, and also why can i not perform a disk clean up, I click disk clean up, and everything freezes, I tryed to clean it for 3 days, and it was just stuck on 3 bars :down:

can you describe the windows media player problem more in detail? where is it deleting itself from? the quicklaunch bar? the start menu? where?

as for the disk clean up, its can be many things. try running a checkdisk /f first to verify your harddisk's integrity. so open a command prompt. you can do this buy going to start -> run. then type in cmd. then type in chkdsk /f .

Zoom8112
08-30-2004, 12:10 PM
NTFS is a better file system that FAT32. Faster, better security, more stable, bla, bla.. But if your currently FAT32, converting to NTFS can sometimes cause a degredation in performance. The best way is to format the drive as NTFS, not convert.

very true, NTFS is a more efficient and secure file system. i would keep my drive fat32 if it was originally fat32. but if i started new, i would format it as NTFS.

Zoom8112
08-30-2004, 12:11 PM
NTFS is betteron drives over 10gigs in size.

oh wait... how do you change the processorfluid? do i need a can of RAM cleaner? i mean, how often should i rotate my HDD platters?

i can see someone's parents didnt give them enough attention when they were younger.

orion::S14
08-30-2004, 12:20 PM
A real question:

I have a computer with XP...

Had a sound card that wouldn't work, so I swapped the cards around, and voila!...working Santa Cruz/Turtle Beach card. But now no internet. SO I swapped back, uninstalled the sound card, and still no internet. Looked for IRQ conflicts, found one, swapped the card one spot lower, and that fixed it...but still no internet. It will network with my other XP machine and share files no problem, but will not get online, even if I connect it directly to the cable modem (eliminating the router as a possoble cause).

Tried new network card, same deal (it's a Linksys in their now, but I tried a new one of a different brand).

Reinstalled XP, thinking there may be a virus or something, same problem remains.

Any advice?

Thank you - Brian

Zoom8112
08-30-2004, 12:28 PM
did your internet work before? do your other computers connected to the router access the net?

check to see if your computer is getting an ip address from the router.

do this by opening a command prompt. and then type msconfig /all . you should see your local IP ass 192.168.1.XXX. also see if you can ping your router or any other website such as yahoo. at the command prompt type in ping www.yahoo.com .

let us know the results.

08-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Yes and yes.

I'll check the IP and "ping" yahoo tonight.

I'll report back...thanks.

- Brian

DRFT
08-30-2004, 03:03 PM
A few weeks ago my computer was running really slow due to many programs in it, so i decided to reformat it. I was searching for my recovery disc but instead i couldn't find it. So the next best thing was to install windows XP in it. I installed it buy rebooting the computer with the windows disc in it. now my computer isnt running right, it's running a whole lot faster but my video, sound, and some programs can't run at all. I think i should reformat it a different way and install it. what do you think is the best way to reformat my computer and install windows on it?

EDIT: and also, when ever i start my computer, a screen comes up and asks me if i want to use XP professional or home edition.

HyperTek
08-30-2004, 04:11 PM
can you guess my 3dmark03 scores?? hehe jk

Jeff240sx
08-30-2004, 04:32 PM
My 3dmark03 was only 6900. But nothing I have is o/c'd lol.
-Jeff

MakotoS13
08-30-2004, 05:05 PM
i can see someone's parents didnt give them enough attention when they were younger.

actually i was very well taken care of, ya know aside from them practically ruining the beginning of my life.. one could conclude that based on your need to "give back" to the "community" that you just want attention.

nah, i'm just jealous that you want to offer free tech support cause you're so danged bored.

p.s. porn is really a much better way to kill time on the internet.

Zoom8112
08-30-2004, 05:28 PM
A few weeks ago my computer was running really slow due to many programs in it, so i decided to reformat it. I was searching for my recovery disc but instead i couldn't find it. So the next best thing was to install windows XP in it. I installed it buy rebooting the computer with the windows disc in it. now my computer isnt running right, it's running a whole lot faster but my video, sound, and some programs can't run at all. I think i should reformat it a different way and install it. what do you think is the best way to reformat my computer and install windows on it?

EDIT: and also, when ever i start my computer, a screen comes up and asks me if i want to use XP professional or home edition.

ok so you already reformatted and reinstalled. now if you think you did it improperly, you should do it again. the reason your sound video and other things may not be working right is because you havent installed the software drivers for them. these are important. you can get them from the manufacturer's website.

now when you install windows by booting off the CD, which is the correct way to do it, you should delete your previous installs. then format and install it fresh. this can all be done in the windows XP setup.

Zoom8112
08-30-2004, 05:33 PM
actually i was very well taken care of, ya know aside from them practically ruining the beginning of my life.. one could conclude that based on your need to "give back" to the "community" that you just want attention.

nah, i'm just jealous that you want to offer free tech support cause you're so danged bored.

p.s. porn is really a much better way to kill time on the internet.

are you the middle child?

if i just plainly wanted attention, i would have a post pattern and post substance similar to yours - you know posting pictures of myself, etc, etc ...

citizen
08-30-2004, 06:09 PM
what is your 3dmark score hypertek? hehehehe time for a bench off!

08-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Ok "Zoom"...it's an IP assignment problem.

Used the cmd prompt to see the IP info (ipconfig), and it was screwy. Just a local IP...

Took the router out of the loop, and connected the XP machine that would not connect directly to the modem...reset the modem, and did ipconfig/renew...voila! Works fine.

Now, reconnect the router, check the IP addy of the machine that wouldn't connect, and it's all good. But my machine (which had worked this whole time) is no good.

Connect directly to modem with my machine, renew the IP...no go. Reset my machine, and it's all good...as long as the router is taken out of the loop.

So the router can share files, but not internet? What settings do I need to check to see the IP handling?

Any further help is much appreciated...next step is to try a new router, see if that fixes it. If not, I'll return it!

Or use a hub I have lying around form work...how do I assign an IP, gateway, etc...or is a router best?

Thanks again - Brian

DuffMan
08-30-2004, 09:56 PM
Hub wont work unless you only need one computer on the internet, or setup a proxy or ICS.

Is your computer still getting the APIPA address (169.254.x.x) or is it getting a 192 address like should?

Zoom8112
08-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Ok "Zoom"...it's an IP assignment problem.

Used the cmd prompt to see the IP info (ipconfig), and it was screwy. Just a local IP...

Took the router out of the loop, and connected the XP machine that would not connect directly to the modem...reset the modem, and did ipconfig/renew...voila! Works fine.

Now, reconnect the router, check the IP addy of the machine that wouldn't connect, and it's all good. But my machine (which had worked this whole time) is no good.

Connect directly to modem with my machine, renew the IP...no go. Reset my machine, and it's all good...as long as the router is taken out of the loop.

So the router can share files, but not internet? What settings do I need to check to see the IP handling?

Any further help is much appreciated...next step is to try a new router, see if that fixes it. If not, I'll return it!

Or use a hub I have lying around form work...how do I assign an IP, gateway, etc...or is a router best?

Thanks again - Brian

what ip did it give you when you typed in msconfig /all ?

how are you connecting to the internet when you dont use the router? do you have to launch a program to enter your username /pw ?

to check your router, enter your router settings. make sure your username/pw is setup correctly in the corresponding boxes. if you dont know this info, you should call your ISP.

you dont need a router, but its the easiest and most convenient way. otherwise you would need to setup a computer to act as a router and that computer would have to be on all the time (this method would allow you to use the hub).

the basic difference between a hub or switch and a router is that a hub/switch connects computers within a network, whereas a router connects networks to other networks (your home network and the internet).

DRFT
08-30-2004, 10:01 PM
zoom you are the best! im gonna try to reformat my comp again! fun.... :faint:

08-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the reply...

Without the router, I just connect the Cat5 directly from the modem to the box, and it works fine. Either machine...mine or hers...without the router in the loop, the internet works fine.

I guess I'm confused b/c the router still allows file transfer...but no internet.

Sounds like I need to try a new router.

But I'll try the "msconfig/all" next time both machines are on and set up with the router and report back.

Thanks again.

- Brian

Zoom8112
08-31-2004, 12:07 AM
another thing you can try brian is updating the firmware of your router. this may help. what kind of router do you have? make and model?

G_Fish240
08-31-2004, 12:36 AM
my 3d mark 01 score is 13,000, i need to oc

ICKY
08-31-2004, 04:39 AM
Would running so many anti-hacker/virus stuff actually hurt my computer? My dad installed Spyware, Mcaffe, and Norton. Sometimes the computer runs slow, sometimes it doesn't.

2nd question : My Windows Media Player doesn't play internet video's anymore. I ran some DVD's and it played fine, but when i open up links and stuff from Zilvia or whatever, it doesn't play them.

Last question : When I try to download files or video's, the "File Download" says "Internet Explorer cannot download this file". It was downloading stuff just fine. I've tried rebooting and even using the Windows XP System Restore. It still doesn't go away.

Zoom8112
08-31-2004, 08:40 AM
Would running so many anti-hacker/virus stuff actually hurt my computer? My dad installed Spyware, Mcaffe, and Norton. Sometimes the computer runs slow, sometimes it doesn't.

2nd question : My Windows Media Player doesn't play internet video's anymore. I ran some DVD's and it played fine, but when i open up links and stuff from Zilvia or whatever, it doesn't play them.

Last question : When I try to download files or video's, the "File Download" says "Internet Explorer cannot download this file". It was downloading stuff just fine. I've tried rebooting and even using the Windows XP System Restore. It still doesn't go away.

running computer protection programs wont hurt the computer. having two antivirus programs may cause a conflict. just have one antivirus program.

make sure that media player is the default player for those certain file types that you want to play. go into media player options and verify it is the player for the corresponding file types. you could also try updating your media player from the microsoft site.

not sure about this one, but try a updating windows explorer by using windows update. it might be easier when saving files to just right click on it and save target as.

Jeff240sx
08-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Ok. Benchmark questions/scores go to:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=61456
-Jeff

sykikchimp
09-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Brian - Make sure your Router is picking up the IP address from your modem. If you able to connect both computers to the router, and then are able to share files b/w the computers, then your LAN is working properly as it should. More than likely you wil have to go through the WAN setup options in your router and configure it for your ISP (if it needs some specific configuration).

Zoom - msconfig is a microsoft confriguration tool for the windows environment. Sure you didn't mean "ipconfig /all" ?

sykikchimp
09-01-2004, 12:00 PM

You know sometimes links are bad.. meaning the file they point to is no longer available for download.

If your pretty sure they are available, try Right clicking the files (links), and choosing "save target as.." when you want to download them.

Zoom8112
09-01-2004, 12:27 PM
in the command prompt, i meant ipconfig /all .

msconfig is for making programs not starting up when windows boots up.

Zoom8112
09-05-2004, 01:31 PM
up for computer questions.

dori2 s13coupe
09-07-2004, 03:52 PM
hey guys... well i just reformated my computer.. i think FAT32? well yeah i did everythign right but when i turn on the computer after a couple minutes the LSA SHELL (EXPORT VERSION) error pops up.. it asks me to send the report but i dont... then after that the RPC pops up....shut down in 1 min.... help please

HyperTek
09-07-2004, 04:35 PM
the highest 3dmark score i got was 11666, but some reason I cant get that anymore.. im like 10333 ish.. dunno why, i think my mobo is bottleneck since im running higher standard parts then what it was made for when it was released. Piecing together my watercooling setup using a Chevy Chevette heater core.. hehe

Im still having this freaking situation with the cable company to come install it into my house, so I cant really take advantage of internet sources right now.

psychedelicbeats
09-07-2004, 04:46 PM
as for brian's network problem, if you are using pppoe, be sure u put in the u/n and p/w in the router, and not on the computer itself. pppoe works differently in that u have to log in. the router holds isp's address assigned to you, so you'll need to set it up from the router. if you don't have pppoe, or if you already had set it up, my best suggestion is to set up your router to dhcp and use winxp's network connection wizard. that's the easiest way to go. i honestly don't think dhcp ip assignment is the problem within your network. it's from the router to the modem, hence the internet. again, set your pppoe settings correctly and you should be up and running. i'm like 80% positive that's your problem. and this is all pertaining to a router, not a hub. as for hub settings... that's another story.

psychedelicbeats
09-07-2004, 04:50 PM
hey guys... well i just reformated my computer.. i think FAT32? well yeah i did everythign right but when i turn on the computer after a couple minutes the LSA SHELL (EXPORT VERSION) error pops up.. it asks me to send the report but i dont... then after that the RPC pops up....shut down in 1 min.... help please

LOL....

start, control panel, admin tools, services.
choose remote procedure call. there's two of them i forgot which one is which. then goto the 3rd tab or something(i'm at work i dont remember which one it is) and set everything from restart computer to take no action. do the same with the other one once that one is done. restart the computer. for the lsa shell error, i'll try to recoup what i remember. i'm at work.. let u know later. both result the same probs i know... there's a patch out there look it up

psychedelicbeats
09-07-2004, 05:07 PM

please reformat your computer, and do not use dualboot. meaning, in windows setup, clear everything. you are suppose to clear your partitions before you start mainly because it is more fresh than just formating over your old partition. you dont need two operating systems. for your audio video stuff, get the drivers online if you can. if not, goto someone's house and grab the drivers and put them on a cd. keep the cd for reference esp. modem/network that way you can go online and regrab whatever u need.

psychedelicbeats
09-07-2004, 05:09 PM
i don't mean to thread jack, but i'd he more than happy to help as well

Var
09-07-2004, 05:18 PM
here's an unanswered question i have.

My question was does the ram run in "quad channel" when you run 2 dual channel pairs.

you have (250mhz x 2) =500mhz dual channel. Then another (250mhz x 2)=500mhz in dual channel. But does this mean that it's 500mhz or 1000mhz? does the motherboard always add your ram frequencies together? or is that only for dual channel motherboards? and if it DOES add up all the frequencies, why is it not called quad channel for a 4 dimm mobo?

psychedelicbeats
09-08-2004, 05:44 PM
if it's dual channel, it's dual channel. u will be running a max of 500mhz. frequencies can't "add" up when it comes to electronics. that is, unless it is channeled as stated earlier

HyperTek
09-08-2004, 06:43 PM
is there a way i can change the cd key in windows xp without having to reinstall.??

MakotoS13
09-08-2004, 07:05 PM
A- i've never heard of RAM with a fsb speed of 250 ever
b- it doesn't make a dick cause i've never seen a motherboard with higher than 400mhz RAM fsb

yeah, you can buy 500mhz ram (PC4000) but i dare ya to find a mobo that'll run it at that speed.

Var
09-08-2004, 07:44 PM
b- it doesn't make a dick cause i've never seen a motherboard with higher than 400mhz RAM fsb

yeah, you can buy 500mhz ram (PC4000) but i dare ya to find a mobo that'll run it at that speed.

the msi mobo i'm getting has a 1ghz fsb. most intel p4's have 800mhz fsb. So to maximize saturation of the fsb i will need to run 2xpc4000 which my mobo wont support. I will go with pc3200 and run it at 400mhzx2=800 mhz.

i read that a lot of RAM doesnt even run at it's advertised speed.

Zoom8112
09-08-2004, 07:54 PM
here's an unanswered question i have.

My question was does the ram run in "quad channel" when you run 2 dual channel pairs.

you have (250mhz x 2) =500mhz dual channel. Then another (250mhz x 2)=500mhz in dual channel. But does this mean that it's 500mhz or 1000mhz? does the motherboard always add your ram frequencies together? or is that only for dual channel motherboards? and if it DOES add up all the frequencies, why is it not called quad channel for a 4 dimm mobo?

what dual channel means is that it widens your bandwidth by accessing two channels of ram simultaneously, hence the need for pairs of dimms to take advantage of it. dual channel doesnt have anything to do with frequency, just the amount of data that is transfered between the cpu and ram.

the reason why there arent any quad channel motherboards is that if you wanted to take advantage of it, you would need four equal size/speed dimms, and motherboard manufactureres see that as too expensive for the common consumer.

Zoom8112
09-08-2004, 07:54 PM
is there a way i can change the cd key in windows xp without having to reinstall.??

there is. there is a way of doing it in the registry and i'm sure there are windows programs that do it.

search google.

Zoom8112
09-08-2004, 07:59 PM

are you aware that pentium 4 systems have used a 400mhz FSB since they first came out?

and that when the p4 first came out, it was coupled with rambus memory that intially ran at 800mhz then later at 1066mhz?

http://www.valueram.com/support/InstallRambus1066.asp

Zoom8112
09-08-2004, 08:00 PM
the msi mobo i'm getting has a 1ghz fsb. most intel p4's have 800mhz fsb. So to maximize saturation of the fsb i will need to run 2xpc4000 which my mobo wont support. I will go with pc3200 and run it at 400mhzx2=800 mhz.

to get best overclocking results, buy some good quality ram with the lowest latency settings.

i usually stick with brands like corsair, mushkin, and crucial in that order.

cali240sxdrifter
09-08-2004, 08:52 PM
question:
Anyway to get print screen button to work? All i get is a black screen when trying to take a pic of a video clip or dvd movie.

Marty
09-09-2004, 10:16 PM
my laptop runs at 1400x1050 pixels and is on some setting that says (multiple monitors) Nvidia geforce fx go5200. now all the pictures and just a ton of things on the internet are blurry and out of focus and i cant figure out how to fix that without messing up the monitor settings

G_Fish240
09-10-2004, 06:50 PM
question:
Anyway to get print screen button to work? All i get is a black screen when trying to take a pic of a video clip or dvd movie.
You have to hold down either shift or controll (dont remember) and then press print screen if you want the video to show.

cali240sxdrifter
09-10-2004, 07:49 PM
no workie =(

G_Fish240
09-10-2004, 10:30 PM
did you save it has a bitmap or jpg, i think it only works if you save it has a bitmap

nightwalker
09-10-2004, 10:36 PM
G_Fish240, my cousin just picked up the first and second season of AquaTeenHungerForce, man I love that show.

Zoom, I had a computer question for ya, but I forgot the exact details. I'll be back.

psychedelicbeats
09-11-2004, 04:00 AM

it is pointless to do this. pointless.

psychedelicbeats
09-11-2004, 04:03 AM
my laptop runs at 1400x1050 pixels and is on some setting that says (multiple monitors) Nvidia geforce fx go5200. now all the pictures and just a ton of things on the internet are blurry and out of focus and i cant figure out how to fix that without messing up the monitor settings

usually the more pixels there is, the "cleaner" the output will be. however, you gotta understand your limits of what you can see, and also what the laptop's display can optimally see.

this would probably concern the amount of hertz within your refresh rate that your laptop can run at that setting. i would suggest changing the resolution much lower to achive better refresh rates.

psychedelicbeats
09-11-2004, 04:06 AM
question:

i find this impossible because when video is played, it is played simutaneously with the computer, and everything else on the computer is a mere image so to speak. i've tried figuring out the situation regarding this, but i still have an unclear answer. all i know is that the best way to take a snap would be to freeze the frame of the video clip on tmpenc and print screen it. i think that's one way that it can work. other than that, i dont think you could take a snap using plain old windows stuff because of copyright issues and whatnot. correct me if i'm wrong on this issue. i'm not 100% sure if i'm correct

Marty
09-11-2004, 11:46 AM
usually the more pixels there is, the "cleaner" the output will be. however, you gotta understand your limits of what you can see, and also what the laptop's display can optimally see.

this would probably concern the amount of hertz within your refresh rate that your laptop can run at that setting. i would suggest changing the resolution much lower to achive better refresh rates.

when i lower the resolution the computer gives me a message that i changed the LCD screens resolution from its optimal quality and then everything is huge on the screen and out of focus. when it is on the 1400x1050 everything is crisp and clear with the exception of stuff pn the internet

Kreator
09-11-2004, 12:15 PM
alright let's see if someone can answer this one :)

under linux (well Debian in this particular case i don't know if it behaves the same on other distributions) "ls -l" command gives a last modified date in hours and minutes (for fairly recently updated files). Now i know the timestamp is stored in seconds. Is there a way to make ls display seconds? Our sys admin got a little confused by the question.

MakotoS13
09-11-2004, 02:55 PM

that's your processor bus speed which in a perfect world would match the ram bus speed but usually it doesn't (especially in generic comps like DELL, gateway, etc etc...)

are you aware that pentium 4 systems have used a 400mhz FSB since they first came out?

and that when the p4 first came out, it was coupled with rambus memory that intially ran at 800mhz then later at 1066mhz?

http://www.valueram.com/support/InstallRambus1066.asp

a- again i'm refering to RAM FSB speeds NOT processor fsb. most dells come with 400fsb and PC2700 RAM (266mhz bus)... i specified for this exact reason.
b- i guess i should have specified that i don't count rambus on account of hardly anybody even using it anymore. seriously, doesn't count...

this thread is pretty done...

nismo2491
09-29-2004, 11:05 PM
scenario:
compaq laptop running windows xp w/ built in network port
dell desktop running windows xp w/ built in network port.

can I link the two togethor with just a network cable so that I can transfer files? what do I have to do to go about that. thanks
KEvin

MakotoS13
09-30-2004, 06:30 AM
regular ethernet cable won't do. you need a sort off patch cable.

oh yeah...

i'd suggest replacing those with REAL computers too while you're at it ;)

citizen
09-30-2004, 10:50 AM
pffft what do you run makoto, a toaster with a hard drive thrown in???

s14slide
09-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Alright, I got one for you since this is free troubleshooting. I just got my comp fixed. Got a Athlon 3000+ Barton core CPU, just replaced my mobo cause 2 bent pins on the IDE bent/broke. Anyways, I've also got a gig of DDR ram and an ati radeon 9800pro vid card. My prob is that my mobo has it's own VGA, but I cant figure out how to disable it to get my radeon workin. Went through the bios, but I don't see anything saying something about the onboard VGA for me to disable it. I tried disabling the serial ports(mobo supports dual monitor) to no avail. Also, I'm SOL for the radeon disk, all my software was stolen/lost in the mail getting shipped here to Japan. Hope I can get some help, thanks fellas. Sucks I can't play any games right now.
me :Ownedd: vs my comp right now.

MakotoS13
09-30-2004, 12:15 PM
pffft what do you run makoto, a toaster with a hard drive thrown in???

2 comps on a router with cable connection. Athlon 3200+, 512 DDR PC3200, 404 fsb across the board, a get-by-but-over-clocked FX 5200 AGP card. once i unlock the proc it'll run at 3500+ speeds (equivalent to a pentium 3.5 chip).

my other machine is an 800mhz celeron with almost 400mb PC133, some podunk AGP card, and is my get-the-job-done-box.

i have a gateway notebook that'd be on the network if it wasn't SUPPOSED to go back in the shop for repair (gateway sucks, big time).

i'm going to build another hardware firewall out of a comp using linux some day when i get time.

but yeah, a toaster with a HDD in it... heh

nismo2491
09-30-2004, 12:45 PM
i'd suggest replacing those with REAL computers too while you're at it ;)
they do everything I need to do, minor video editing, digital picture/video uploads off my respective cameras, scan, and occasional word processing. I don't need anything more.
not to mention that both have direct cable internet connections, and the desktop is over 1 ghz processor and the laptop is like 800mhz so its not too bad.
KEvin

MakotoS13
09-30-2004, 02:03 PM
i was kiddin. computers are never outdated, they just become... dedicated.

crioten
09-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Alright, I got one for you since this is free troubleshooting. I just got my comp fixed. Got a Athlon 3000+ Barton core CPU, just replaced my mobo cause 2 bent pins on the IDE bent/broke. Anyways, I've also got a gig of DDR ram and an ati radeon 9800pro vid card. My prob is that my mobo has it's own VGA, but I cant figure out how to disable it to get my radeon workin. Went through the bios, but I don't see anything saying something about the onboard VGA for me to disable it. I tried disabling the serial ports(mobo supports dual monitor) to no avail. Also, I'm SOL for the radeon disk, all my software was stolen/lost in the mail getting shipped here to Japan. Hope I can get some help, thanks fellas. Sucks I can't play any games right now.
me :Ownedd: vs my comp right now.

you should be able to start up with the mobo's VGA and instal the graphics drivers through there (i know you can d/l nvidias, so im assuming there is somewhere out there to d/l ati's)

once its all installed all you have to do is just rip out your monitor cable and plug it into the graphics card

crioten
09-30-2004, 10:50 PM
a couple of free tools/tweaker programs out there that i use all the time:

TweakUI (just download it from microsoft)
SiSoftware Sandra (gives you a readout of everything on your comp)
procexp (shows all active processes and what they are/where they are)
autoruns (what comes up when you boot/can kill them too)
hijack this (browser plugin remover)

crioten
09-30-2004, 11:21 PM
ok, now my question :)

i was thinking about getting unix, and putting it on one of my HD's, but kepping win 2k on the main HD...and using unix only occasionally

questions:

1) is it possible to choose which OS everytime i boot without changing jumper settings all the time? (im thinking there is something in bios that i can do?)

2) im thinking about getting unix just for running games on it (in hope to reduce the number of processes running)...do most games work on it? and will i actually be able to get better performance out of it? (i honestly know nothing about unix lol)

3) nothing technical: id like to start building another computer, but i dont want to just get parts that work together, id like to get parts that work the best together....so i was wondering if there were any books/forums/anything out there that could help me in doing this

thanks

citizen
10-01-2004, 01:26 AM
crioten lemme direct you to www.hardocp.com and www.hardforum.com. (btw they hate newbies so lurk for a while before asking any stupid questions =P)

nrcooled
10-01-2004, 08:38 AM
My issue:

I have a 2.4 GHz P4 and in my bios it only states that I have a 1.8 or 1.6 GHz processor. If I change the FSB to 133/133 it will run great but if I reboot the comp. will go back to 100/100.

Sometimes it will lock up after I change it and it was so bad once that I had to reinstall due to startup files corrupting. Is there anything that I can do to get my 2.4 GHz P4 to actually run at 2.4?

crioten
10-01-2004, 08:44 AM
crioten lemme direct you to www.hardocp.com and www.hardforum.com. (btw they hate newbies so lurk for a while before asking any stupid questions =P)

thanks, i always lurk :)

...i learned my lesson here hahaa

G_Fish240
10-01-2004, 04:59 PM
My issue:

I have a 2.4 GHz P4 and in my bios it only states that I have a 1.8 or 1.6 GHz processor. If I change the FSB to 133/133 it will run great but if I reboot the comp. will go back to 100/100.

Sometimes it will lock up after I change it and it was so bad once that I had to reinstall due to startup files corrupting. Is there anything that I can do to get my 2.4 GHz P4 to actually run at 2.4?
what verison pentium 4 do you have if its a 2.4C, make sure you have hyperthreading enabled. When I first built my comp 2 years ago it was saying 1.6 but then I enabled hyperthreading in the bios and it showed 2.4

nrcooled
10-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Well of course it happened again. Some startup file is corrupted and my computer will boot but after the WinXP startup screen goes away I just get a black screen with a cursor. Someone suggested that my RAM may be bad. But I am leaning towards a bad startup file. Something is not loading propperly during startup but XP cannot detect it so it's "booting" as normal.

I am going to try to go into the recovery console and attempt to access the last good save point to try to fix the computer. Any suggestions would be appreciated