PDA

View Full Version : S13 fuse box mishap. Why did it burn?

driftregime
08-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Howdy y'all,
My 1989 s13 has been parked for a couple months without it being started. Prior to it sitting i never had any problems. Yesterday i went to finally start her back up again and put in a battery i had lying around. First time she started right up, let her warm up for a minute then went to pull out of the garage and right as i started pulling out she died. I just thought she ran out of gas since the gauge showed empty so i went and got gas and put about 5 gallons in but still nothing. Just turns over but never fired and this is when i noticed my fuel pressure gauge not reading anything. So then i pulled off part of the fuel line and no gas came out when i turned it back over. so then i went to check the fuse box to see about the fuse and that is when i found a very interesting problem. The fuse assembly block had melted where the fuel pump fuse was.

The fuse outer layer even was partially melted.

Also, i have a Walbro 255 and the fuse was a 10a. I am not sure what caused this to happen so i am looking for any ideas you all have to offer. i believe the side of the fuse that was melted was hooked to the slot with the pink/black fuel pump wire . but the whole block is messed up. Both wires running to fuel pump fuse were partially melted where they enter the block. Then on the top side both the plastic and the pickup terminals are melted. Took me awhile to find the replacement part. Only one place online had it. I would like to figure out why this happened and fix it before i put in the new unit when it arrives. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks