PDA

View Full Version : fela..... fela....

old_s13
08-24-2004, 11:30 AM
fela kuti that is.

does anyone here know this? do people here recognize this badassed afro-beat music? or are you all listening to brittany spears and ja rule.

serious man, people need to be listening to this if they're not.

goo slow gooooooooooooooooo slow. ;)

S14DB
08-24-2004, 07:21 PM
I lisen to Femi Kuti.

MakotoS13
08-24-2004, 07:31 PM
i'm listening to gravity kills at the moment.

<------ not a big fan of rap

S14DB
08-24-2004, 07:39 PM
i'm listening to gravity kills at the moment.

<------ not a big fan of rap
Um? What does rap have to do with this?

MakotoS13
08-24-2004, 08:54 PM
<-------- completely ignorant as to what you're talking about

i just assumed... ASSumed...

S14DB
08-24-2004, 09:15 PM
<-------- completely ignorant as to what you're talking about

i just assumed... ASSumed...
ASS :hahano:

Phlip
08-25-2004, 06:57 AM
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why Mike is the shit. I won't make any silly-assed statements like "I'm not a big fan of rap" before establishing what the discussion is actually about. Me? I listen to EVERYTHING, and known full well that Mikle speaks the truth here.

S14DB
08-25-2004, 11:19 AM
http://www.fochkopf.com/images/forum/makotolock.jpg

MakotoS13
08-25-2004, 11:45 AM
yup, ya sure caught me with my pants down

http://www.fochkopf.com/images/forum/makotopeepee.jpg

old_s13
08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
if you didnt add to this thread, edit or delete your posts.. i dont need to see this aimless bullshit.. this is MY thread about fela, not about being gay.

For those of you who dont know your ass from a hole in the ground:

Fela Kuti, created the sound of music known as AFRO BEAT.. its a mix of jazz with his own personal style. He's often referred to as the Bob Marley of Africa, highly motivating and political.. awesome music, of course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/profiles/kutifela.shtml

Ive also been listening to Toni Allen and Wale Oyejide lately....

and just recently, started downloading a bunch of old school MAIN SOURCE and TUPAC.. interesting. New music is just THAT bad nowadays... gotta rummage through the classics i guess.

Phlip
08-26-2004, 12:00 AM
and just recently, started downloading a bunch of old school MAIN SOURCE and TUPAC.. interesting. New music is just THAT bad nowadays... gotta rummage through the classics i guess.
Main Source, "Breaking Atoms" - CLASSIC hip hop, and also marks the first time the world heard Nasir 'Nas' Jones, a then-16 year old who in that verse "kidnaps the president's wife without a plan" and "goes to hell for snuffing jesus." On the other hand, Mike, I was never a huge 'Pac fan.

mrmephistopheles
08-26-2004, 12:43 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/profiles/images/kutifelamain.gif

http://www.fochkopf.com/images/forum/makuto.jpg

http://www.fochkopf.com/images/forum/makuto2.jpg

What?

revat619
08-26-2004, 03:02 AM
I, too agree with my Mike about new music. It totally sucks. A lot of it sounds the same and none of the rappers are saying anything thats worth listening to...expect for a few and all of which i can count on one hand. Most of the singers are worthless cuz they cant really sing; everything is digitally enhanced/synthesized...again except for a few. Some of the new stuff is ok, but a majority of it is trash. Its probably the main reason why i dont listen to the radio. Anyways, I'm always up to hearing new music....well new to me anyway, cuz i doubt i've ever heard any of his music. And i listen to EVERYTHING, so i think i'll give this fela kuti guy a listen.

old_s13
08-26-2004, 10:34 AM
philip, most recent old-school tupac songs i dug up from the 90s to add to my already filled tupac collective of songs:

- crooked ass nigga (damn the beat on this song is SO west-coast NWA style, i love it)
- fuck the world (lill digital underground action)
- heavy in the game
- if i die tonight (nice dj quik sample)
- if my hommie calls
- it aint easy
- lord knows (interesting how he used some of those lyrics in a newer song, still awesome)
- old school... damn i love this song
- representin `93
- temptations
- violent
- young niggaz

anyway, im into all this old-school shiiiiiiet... especially since lately ive had the tupac bug and need some of his older stuff, because all this NEW remastered tupac stuff is trash and you can tell its not his beat. fuckin suge knight trying to pass off shit.. its an emberassment

Phlip
08-26-2004, 06:47 PM
anyway, im into all this old-school shiiiiiiet... especially since lately ive had the tupac bug and need some of his older stuff, because all this NEW remastered tupac stuff is trash and you can tell its not his beat. fuckin suge knight trying to pass off shit.. its an emberassment
Actually, it's not Suge, it's his moms... His moms got his master tapes when he died as part of a settlement with Death Row and some other shit, as well as all the masters that Tupac already owned... This dude was really proficient enough to write a properly metered 16 bar rhyme IN THE STUDIO and record it in one take. Because of this, he was able to record several songs a day, or at least one a day, for a very long time, hence the extensive back catalog. Compare it to Biggie's catalog: Big would go to the studio and listen to the beat for hours and NEVER write anything down, would go in the booth and drop an unwritten verse that was *technically* sound and properly metered against the music, but was a perfectionist and had to record it 5 times before he was happy with it.

nightwalker
08-27-2004, 12:09 AM
I love Pac's verbage. Very profound. I regret losing my collection of all his music.

I remember when hip-hop was hip-hop, not "let's all brag about how much money we got"

old_s13
08-27-2004, 10:52 AM
ive always found tupac's work more poetic than big's, hence the reason my b-i-g collection isnt too extensive. i maybe have 20-25 songs by biggie that i really like, i have over 120 tupac songs in my collection. the only artists that i store THAT many songs of would be: sade, dire straits, bob marley, tracy chapman, dave matthews, police, and dj quik. enya too.

Phlip
08-27-2004, 12:55 PM
I don't have a whole lot of 'Pac, like I said I wasn't a huge fan, while I cannot one bit say a bad thing about his work ethic, and his ability to actually make presentable product in the face of conditions that would burn the average cat out easily... B.I.G. was great with his wordplay and storytelling ability and was a FUNNY motherfucker, while 'Pac was more a poet and definitely more capable of being an introspective type of person. There aren't many artists that I have a dedicated "collection" of their music, but I have a lot of Marley (as we all should) and, speaking in terms of newer roots-type Reggae artists, 7 Buju Banton albums and about 5 of Barrington Levy. I like what I like... My favorites in hip hop have to be among the 7 of The Roots' albums and Common's 5. If I need to hear guitar, I listen to Hendrix, I got a lot of his shit too, or I will take it back to the influence of my pops and uncle and will listen to Funkadelic for hours on end.

citizen
08-27-2004, 06:00 PM
haha i got some gravity kills cds back in the day don't listen to them anymore though