PDA

View Full Version : Why the "Hoonigan Hate"?

Lees_Garage
08-05-2015, 05:04 AM
I have been seeing a lot of "Hoonigan Hate" on the forum as of late, and was just wondering what it is all about?

I have followed the brand and their athletes for quite some time, and cannot figure out why anyone would have hate for a brand represented by drivers such as: Ken Block, Ryan Tuerck, Vaughn Gitten, Chris Forsberg, BJ Baldwin, and many more.

I have supported this brand since its inception, and do so because I enjoy the media content the brand and its athletes produce (Gymkhana, Recoil, Drift Garage, etc).

I will admit I was awash in disappointment when I started seeing 2003 Honda Civics with automatic transmissions, fart can exhaust, spray painted wheels, and a huge hoonigan banners on the windshields, but that's not going to stop me from buying a cool shirt from a brand that embodies the motorsports I enjoy so much.

Please speak freely, as I know you will. Lol. I am not here to change your mind, I was just curious, and wanted to hear your opinions.

LET THE DISCUSSIONS BEGIN

wanna240
08-05-2015, 06:40 AM
I think it is because so many "drifters" with their beat up 240s are throwing the sticker on their car to act super cool and to look like a pro drifter. This in turn would create a bad image for the brand and make it look like it is full of ricers.

FaLKoN240
08-05-2015, 08:33 AM
I will admit I was awash in disappointment when I started seeing 240SXs with fart can exhaust, spray painted wheels, and a huge hoonigan banners on the windshields, but that's not going to stop me from buying a cool shirt from a brand that embodies the motorsports I enjoy so much.

FIXED your quote

Honda Civics rocking shitty mods vs. 240sx repping shitty mods is the same thing. They're both shitty. There are a lot of 240s that have the same bullshit you just described. If you look carefully enough you'll see them on this very forum.

A celebrity endorsing a product doesn't make them immediately cool. They're getting paid to put those banners on their SPONSORED car (not personal car) and paid to wear those shirts during poster signing sessions at Formula D.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Almighty So
08-05-2015, 08:57 AM
because they coined the phrase "Ain't Care".

They created a likeness to the idea of fucking up your car and leaving it like that "cause ain't care drift slut".

Join any other car scene with the intent of ruining one or more of their respective chassis while making their whole scene look bad.
I'd bet my bottom dollar they wouldn't take too kindly to that.

Dirk Jan
08-05-2015, 09:09 AM
It's not particularly the brand itself that's criticized. It's the people supporting it in a disgusting way by driving like an asshole in a shitty automobile. Just like here in the Netherlands there's a group of racist, hardcore dance music loving, bald headed cunts wearing Lonsdale clothing. While Lonsdale is a company making boxing clothes and doesn't have anything to do with racism at all, the brand is still frowned upon because of these people.

simmode1
08-05-2015, 09:36 AM
Because roughly 75% of the cars in the Doing It Wrong thread have Hoonigan stickers on them. I give props to how the brand started, but the brand's recognition on the street & amatuer level has devolved into the lowest common denominator in enthusiast circles. Despite it's origin, the term 'Hoonigan' has become synonymous/interchangeable with 'shitbox' or 'bag of dicks'. Who in their right mind would want to be associated with the braindead ppl who PURPOSEFULLY make their car(s) look like the vehicular equipivalent of Necrotizing fasciitis?

RalliartRsX
08-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Who the eff cares!??!? "Hoonigan" is not putting food on my table or $$$ in my pocket, so why give a damn who is hating on it??

Lees_Garage
08-05-2015, 04:50 PM
It's not particularly the brand itself that's criticized. It's the people supporting it in a disgusting way by driving like an asshole in a shitty automobile.

Because roughly 75% of the cars in the Doing It Wrong thread have Hoonigan stickers on them. I give props to how the brand started, but the brand's recognition on the street & amatuer level has devolved into the lowest common denominator in enthusiast circles.

I can get behind this, but I have the feeling that most people commenting on this thread are not all that familiar with how the brand started, or how phrases such as "Ain't Care" were coined. It had nothing to do with having garbage vehicles, but was a phrase coined due to Ken Block finishing races/events at all cost, and not allowing issues such as broken wheels, etc, to stop him from completing the Rally, etc.

While I am a fan of the brand, because of the drivers they sponsor, I understand shying away from it due to the type of rides representing them on the street.

FYI: I'm not a fanboy, and wouldn't rock a Hoonigan, or any other banner on my car unless I was sponsored.

simmode1
08-05-2015, 05:12 PM
^^^Lol... Who hasn't seen Ken's Gymkhana videos? They're pretty damn popular, you know. A lot people believe in 'guilt by association'. I'd rather not be associated with those Hoonigan idiots and be presumed to find their antics acceptable. It's hard enough just being a 30 something 240sx owner when these cars are so closely linked to 'Hoonigan'. No joke: a lot of guys are selling their 240's from the stigma of shame & immaturity Hoonigan has brought to this community.

FaLKoN240
08-05-2015, 10:35 PM
^^^Lol... Who hasn't seen Ken's Gymkhana videos? They're pretty damn popular, you know. A lot people believe in 'guilt by association'. I'd rather not be associated with those Hoonigan idiots and be presumed to find their antics acceptable. It's hard enough just being a 30 something 240sx owner when these cars are so closely linked to 'Hoonigan'. No joke: a lot of guys are selling their 240's from the stigma of shame & immaturity Hoonigan has brought to this community.

I didn't know that about Ken and I highly doubt these fucks do either.

Kingtal0n
08-05-2015, 11:42 PM
There once was a place, where humans would race
their cars shining and showing, each thought himself an ace
that was the land where two fourtys would face
the challenge of stating their superior case

now staring outside, into a dark street with an idea
i thought to myself I shall build once again, a car that was real
I started planning and writing, the parts I would buy
but when I looked for these things, I started to cry
for not one good token or strap I could find,
not one sharp crisp steel object that I had in mind

wiping the dirt from hands, and tears from eyes
effort redoubled I went back in time,
to find out what happened to my great old plans
to see what took over the two fourty fans

my research revealed a wealth of poor news
the number of cars produced wrecked modified and abused
nevertheless I thought there was still time,
I pulled out the classifieds, hoping and praying inside

As day woke the birds, my body exhausted,
I fell to the floor thinking I'd lost it
rolling my head to the side I face out the door
thinking of fun old time races, resting aces and more
I stayed there like a corpse staring into snow and the sun,
I had looked high and low, and found not a one

Almighty So
08-06-2015, 06:58 AM
I have the feeling that most people commenting on this thread are not all that familiar with how the brand started, or how phrases such as "Ain't Care" were coined. It had nothing to do with having garbage vehicles, but was a phrase coined due to Ken Block finishing races/events at all cost, and not allowing issues such as broken wheels, etc, to stop him from completing the Rally, etc.

I have the feeling you just referred to me as "most people."

your ken block story is very inspiring. finish at all costs. sure.

but that's called dedication.
this ain't care bullshit is such a plague that it's ruined any rich history Hoonigan might have had.

No one denies they are pretty damn good drivers and the gymkhana shit is cool and all that but they essentially laid the ground work for all these ziptied, mis-matched, rusted out, basically totaled, shit sleds that plague the streets because the owners claim to be "pro am drift stars who just want to finish the event."

Most of those dudes have never been to an event but they use "Ain't Care" to;
1. Look like they have driven an event and actually have to spend their money on entrance fees, tires, etc.
2. Can tell everyone the dent from the previous owner and and all other cheap/bullshit mods is because drift life.

motorsport is not cheap.
I understand the 'by any means' mentality but what Hoonigan has become is on a whole new plane.

pretty much everything they represent is so embarrassing that most of us feel the need to make very bold/definitive statements in letting others know where we stand on the issue.

Lees_Garage
08-06-2015, 03:33 PM
your ken block story is very inspiring. finish at all costs. sure.

but that's called dedication.
this ain't care bullshit is such a plague that it's ruined any rich history Hoonigan might have had.

No one denies they are pretty damn good drivers and the gymkhana shit is cool and all that but they essentially laid the ground work for all these ziptied, mis-matched, rusted out, basically totaled, shit sleds that plague the streets because the owners claim to be "pro am drift stars who just want to finish the event."

I don't understand how you think The Hoonigans "laid the footwork". Can you name any of their sponsored drivers who epitomize this? The people your using as an example are Wanna-be's who bought stickers, they aren't sponsored, or affiliated with The Hoonigans.

The Hoonigans have created a brand that is currently viral, thanks to several of their videos, and half of the 17yr old fart can driving posers in the country are buying stickers. Any time you have something go viral your going to have some idiots jumping on the bandwagon, but this doesn't mean you've deviated from your original intent or roots.

By your logic, you should stop wearing Nikes because lots of overweight people commit crimes in them. This must mean every person who wears Nikes is a fat criminal.

I understand the 'by any means' mentality but what Hoonigan has become is on a whole new plane.

Again, they havent become anything they werent in the beginning, aside from going viral, and having lots of posers purchase stickers.

deolio
08-06-2015, 03:38 PM
simply - they seem to be encouraging everything i hate about drifting.

Almighty So
08-06-2015, 03:40 PM
I don't understand how you think The Hoonigans "laid the footwork". Can you name any of their sponsored drivers who epitomize this?
uh how about the main fuckin dude.. what's his name? oh yeah ken block.

AALxZaXJiKA

when i think of hoonigan i think of a retard in a shit missile.
when i think of nike, i think of a shoe.
they're pretty much incomparable considering nike has never been known for supporting overweight criminals (which is by far the most random comparison i've read in a while:confused:) but hoonigan has been known for shitty cars and driving for quite a while now.

Almighty So
08-06-2015, 03:45 PM
this isn't even being dedicated to motorsport this is just being a dumb fuck

N8roRkCYE-8

car is literally fucking on fire? ain't care bro i'm hoonin

4HegW8C3deM

"wheel explodes? just ain't care. more throttle!"

deolio nailed it.

wanna240
08-06-2015, 03:47 PM
this isn't even being dedicated to motorsport this is just being a dumb fuck

N8roRkCYE-8

car is literally fucking on fire? ain't care bro i'm hoonin

Lol, I agree with you fully on that one. Being dedicated is not the same as being a dumbass. When your car is ON FIRE, it's a sign for competent people to get out.

Almighty So
08-06-2015, 03:53 PM
for the safety of all other drivers involved and even spectators in close proximity, shut your fucking vehicle off and extinguish the fire.

if you want to show us how dedicated you are, fix that shit and come back to the next one.

wanna240
08-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Yep. Agreed.

S14kouki805
08-06-2015, 04:43 PM

This right here...seriously I have thought about ditching my 240 just cause of the stigma, good thing not too many people have 240's where I live but still it sucks to know that thy will be judged by the bullshit of others...

Matej
08-06-2015, 04:50 PM
I have followed the brand and their athletes for quite some time, and cannot figure out why anyone would have hate for a brand represented by drivers such as: Ken Block, Ryan Tuerck, Vaughn Gitten, Chris Forsberg, BJ Baldwin, and many more.

I have supported this brand since its inception, and do so because I enjoy the media content the brand and its athletes produce (Gymkhana, Recoil, Drift Garage, etc).
Wonder what kind of rigorous cheeseburger conditioning these athletes go through in order to retain their tip top beer gut shape.

spooled240
08-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Double cheeseburger with extra large fries and a 64 oz coke. #aintcare #cholestrolife

Probably why the teams go to great lengths to reduce the weight of the car

Kingtal0n
08-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Thats why god invented the clean and jerk

Sometimes, it means one thing (pull the weight, and put it over head)

and other times, it means something else (kick the shit out of a jerk then clean up the blood)

Whats it called when a word can have more than one meaning? So thats what this is I guess.

spooled240
08-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Double entendre?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

BossHogg
08-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Here I've been doing the "clean and jerk" all wrong since I was 13.

imotion s14
08-07-2015, 12:06 AM
It's like asking why people hate herpes. Hoonigan is herpes, a blight upon our community.

STEEZxIT
08-07-2015, 08:45 AM
why is it cool to not care?
if i lost a wheel mid race, i would be courteous to other drivers and, oh i don't know, not drive flat out because that would be fucking stupid and dangerous to everyone else

Lees_Garage
08-07-2015, 09:01 AM
If you break down and have to stop in stage rally you will receive a DNF. If you are in the points for the championship, finishing that stage may be all you need to win.

It's not uncommon for rally drivers to press on with a somewhat broken car as long as it will drive.

I will admit that driving with the car on fire is a bit much, but I don't think what is portrayed in the videos above is anything new to rally. Antics like these have been going on for years, but Ken is the one who publicized them, and is making a fortune off of it.

STEEZxIT
08-07-2015, 09:18 AM
racing on a rally stage is quite different from being on a traditional racetrack surrounded by other drivers.

rally stages are formatted in such a way that all drivers at least start with a safety cushion of a few minutes distance from each other (iirc). that is the one exception to "finishing at all costs"

simmode1
08-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Dude, the first time I saw the "Ain't Care" logo, it was NOT during competition. It was during a Gymkhana filming where Block destroyed a tire, knowingly continued to run flat out all the way down to the goddamn rim, ruining both his TE37's AND the tarmac track that he was racing on. I can't imagine the repair bill that must have taken for that track to be functional again. From that display, I surmised that "Ain't Care" isn't about drivers winning at all costs. It's about not caring about your car, not caring about other people's property & just generally, not caring about public safety. Seriously, FUCK THAT SHIT. It's indefensible, dude. Why even bother? NO ONE AROUND HERE LIKE THESE HOONIGAN TARDS. I guarantee you: If I see any local HOONtard trying to emulate this BS that they see online while I'm driving around with my family in the car, I'm calling the cops on them and giving detailed descriptions of their shit piles. You want respect as a driver? Learn DISCIPLINE! You don't see Formula 1 doing this kind of fuckery.

Almighty So
08-07-2015, 09:26 AM
lol all seriousness aside could you imagine a hoonigan F1 team?

STEEZxIT
08-07-2015, 09:39 AM
i would be pretty pissed if i lost time on my lap or stage because i had to be extra careful because another driver wasn't. i think i'd be saying words like "selfish", "immature", "fuck", etc.

a hoonigan f1 team would be so many things.
i just want to see the next teurck video: "anyone can build an f1 car at home! all you need is a hammer and a shitbox, and you can totally make it work here's how...."

wanna240
08-07-2015, 09:46 AM
I can see it now...

The Hoonigans introduces... The F1 Kit! All you need is a retarded 18 year old racer wannabe and a perfectly fine car that you ar going to fuck up in no time! All you gotta do is add Hoonigay stickers all over your car!

Extreme Dimensions
08-07-2015, 10:15 AM
I like the fact that their drivers are truly excellent at what they do, as far as the brand. That surrounds any major sport. I don't buy the Nike's but I watch the game. Just my two cents. And I met vaughn gittin jr last week at Nitto enthusiast day, couldn't have been a nicer guy. And those girls...they are sweet girls. haaha (disregard the mustang shirt, it's my work uniform.)
https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/11224545_10205699022573091_7421121779622058217_o.j pg

dbeiler
08-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Some of these abused cars have Hoonigan stickers on them. Why is the Hoonigan brand blamed for it? I've seen some very impressive cars with Hoonigan stickers as well. Is the Hoonigan brand praised for the nice cars as it is blamed for the crappy ones?

I've met a few anti-hoonigans. They were all very vocal about their opinions. They also lacked education, had shit jobs, had accomplished very little in life, drove mostly stock cars, spent too much time on the internet, and wouldn't even consider entering their precious 20 yr old crap boxes in any kind of motorsport.

I'm willing to bet they are always very gentle during sexual intercourse. Gotta keep the GF's pussy tight so it's in good condition for the next dude.

Almighty So
08-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Prepare yourselves for a wall of text, but I thought of what I believe is an acceptable comparison.

First off no, Hoonigan is not praised for the nice cars because it's extremely rare that nice cars represent them. I think the only cars I enjoyed with Hoonigan stickers were Animal Style at FB.

It's like the OP sort of somehow stated for some reason I'm still confused about; Nike isn't known for supporting "overweight criminals" because it's not very often/newsworthy that a fat criminal's shoes are priority.
In the same regard, Hoonigan is not known for the nice cars and good driving because it isn't very often/common that people see that stuff.

Nike is known for athletes going hard in their shit because that's what we always see.
Hoonigan is known for shit cars because that's what we always see.

Let me break this down in what will probably be my last post in this thread;

I'd like to start by again saying no one denies the dudes at Hoonigan can drive and are probably nice people. (Hoonigan supporters seem to get easily defensive about that for some reason. No one bad mouthed them personally.)

Anyways, recently Hulk Hogan was absolutely banished from World Wrestling Entertainment because of recordings that had Hogan using racial remarks.

(Bear with me now.)

Yes, it was a bonehead move by Hogan and Wrestling in general, but the WWE had to remove Hogan from everything. No more bio online, no more t-shirts, no more action figures, nothing. He was even removed from the Hall of Fame. No warning. No mention. No explanation.

Now surely not all athletes who wrestle and not all fans who support wrestling hate Hulk Hogan, nor are they all racist. But to the people that aren't fans of wrestling, all they know is Hulk Hogan. To them, Hulk Hogan is wrestling. So if Hulk Hogan is racist, wrestling is racist. Therefor WWE had to take a very large step in order to make a bold statement that it was not linked with racism.
WWE may not have been happy to let him go, but they have to do so to maintain their image. Is all of WWE racist? No, but they had to make it clear that they do not participate in that lifestyle/way of thinking.

This is comparable to drivers and fans of drifting who want to make bold statements to distance themselves from Hoonigan (as a brand!) because of the poor image it portrays on the whole motorsport industry. Hoonigan hasn't touched every sub-class in motorsport but most of the ones they participate in, they are usually the team of immature and irresponsible drivers that everyone is shaking their heads at. In the meantime, it has become such a large brand because all they do is sell t-shirts and stickers and zipties so anyone who has $5 can represent them. The largest known brand of our sport/hobby/interest is promoting this sort of lifestyle/driving to people who may be interested or developing. (ie, leading them down the wrong path or turning them off of the sport completely. Also making the entire sport/class look bad in the same sense Hogan made WWE look racist.)
Members of the community feel the need to distance themselves from Hoonigan so as not to be considered another idiot driving a shit pile because Ain't Care is the cool attitude to have in Jr High.

It's been mentioned already, a lot of us are grown and would like to not at all be related to anything Hoonigan represents, so we must make it clear that we do not participate in that lifestyle/way of thinking.
Are all Hoonigans drift missile idiots who destroy shit for fun? Probably not, but that seems to be what they represent.

I think the bottom line of disagreement is that most of the Hoonigan supporters are under the impression that I personally hate Ken Block and Ryan Tueuerurekck and would burn Hoonigan HQ to the ground.
That is not the case. I hate what Hoonigan has become.
The young community of half-assed cut-corners-on-everything teens have taken Hoonigan and ran with it and they aren't coming back. So sorry to the original fans and supporters and creators, but it's long gone and forever hated as an idea, mindset, and lifestyle.

You can try to argue that that's not what Hoonigan is about.
But that is what it is about.
That is what it has become and forever will be.
Any respect they might have had, they handed over to their younger audience by trying to make motorsport a budget hobby.
It never will be.

Hogan may not be a racist, and Block might not be a ziptie everything dickhead, but that's how the world will see them.

hats off to you if you read this all.

tl;dr - i'm all for putting miles on my car and enjoying every foot of them but my car will remain maintained, clean and in order.
let your girls vagina rust out and break and ziptie all the ebay pieces back together and let me know how that works out for you.

simmode1
08-07-2015, 03:45 PM
^^^Hit the nail on the head. Additionally, just look up the definitions of the words that compound to form the new word 'Hoonigan'... Hoon & Hooligan. Seriously, go look them up. Anyone that would WANT to identify themselves as such are surely the dregs of society.

wanna240
08-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Prepare yourselves for a wall of text, but I thought of what I believe is an acceptable comparison.

First off no, Hoonigan is not praised for the nice cars because it's extremely rare that nice cars represent them. I think the only cars I enjoyed with Hoonigan stickers were Animal Style at FB.

It's like the OP sort of somehow stated for some reason I'm still confused about; Nike isn't known for supporting "overweight criminals" because it's not very often/newsworthy that a fat criminal's shoes are priority.
In the same regard, Hoonigan is not known for the nice cars and good driving because it isn't very often/common that people see that stuff.

Nike is known for athletes going hard in their shit because that's what we always see.
Hoonigan is known for shit cars because that's what we always see.

Let me break this down in what will probably be my last post in this thread;

I'd like to start by again saying no one denies the dudes at Hoonigan can drive and are probably nice people. (Hoonigan supporters seem to get easily defensive about that for some reason. No one bad mouthed them personally.)

Anyways, recently Hulk Hogan was absolutely banished from World Wrestling Entertainment because of recordings that had Hogan using racial remarks.

(Bear with me now.)

Yes, it was a bonehead move by Hogan and Wrestling in general, but the WWE had to remove Hogan from everything. No more bio online, no more t-shirts, no more action figures, nothing. He was even removed from the Hall of Fame. No warning. No mention. No explanation.

Now surely not all athletes who wrestle and not all fans who support wrestling hate Hulk Hogan, nor are they all racist. But to the people that aren't fans of wrestling, all they know is Hulk Hogan. To them, Hulk Hogan is wrestling. So if Hulk Hogan is racist, wrestling is racist. Therefor WWE had to take a very large step in order to make a bold statement that it was not linked with racism.
WWE may not have been happy to let him go, but they have to do so to maintain their image. Is all of WWE racist? No, but they had to make it clear that they do not participate in that lifestyle/way of thinking.

This is comparable to drivers and fans of drifting who want to make bold statements to distance themselves from Hoonigan (as a brand!) because of the poor image it portrays on the whole motorsport industry. Hoonigan hasn't touched every sub-class in motorsport but most of the ones they participate in, they are usually the team of immature and irresponsible drivers that everyone is shaking their heads at. In the meantime, it has become such a large brand because all they do is sell t-shirts and stickers and zipties so anyone with $5 can represent them. The largest known brand of our sport/hobby/interest is promoting this sort of lifestyle/driving to people who may be interested or developing. (ie, leading them down the wrong path or turning them off of the sport completely. Also making the entire sport/class look bad in the same sense Hogan made WWE look racist.)
Members of the community feel the need to distance themselves from Hoonigan so as not to be considered another idiot driving a shit pile because Ain't Care is the cool attitude to have in Jr High.

It's been mentioned already, a lot of us are grown and would like to not at all be related to anything Hoonigan represents, so we must make it clear that we do not participate in that lifestyle/way of thinking.

I think the bottom line of disagreement is that most of the Hoonigan supporters are under the impression that I personally hate Ken Block and Ryan Tueuerurekck and would burn Hoonigan HQ to the ground.
That is not the case. I hate what Hoonigan has become.
The young community of half-assed cut-corners-on-everything teens have taken Hoonigan and ran with it and they aren't coming back. So sorry to the original fans and supporters and creators, but it's long gone and forever hated as an idea, mindset, and lifestyle.

You can try to argue that that's not what Hoonigan is about.
But that is what it is about.
That is what it has become and forever will be.
Any respect they might have had, they handed over to their younger audience by trying to make motorsport a budget hobby.
It never will be.

Hogan may not be a racist, and Block might not be a ziptie everything dickhead, but that's how the world will see them.

hats off to you if you read this all.

tl;dr - i'm all for putting miles on my car and enjoying every foot of them but my car will remain maintained, clean and in order.
let your girls vagina rust out and break and ziptie all the ebay pieces back together and let me know how that works out for you.

I couldn't of said it better. Kudos to you.

blackmags91
08-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Almighty So 2016

Will reference this post
/thread

ThatGuy
08-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Anyone that would WANT to identify themselves as such are surely the dregs of society.

This needed quoted. Well said!

Sent from an undisclosed location

BossHogg
08-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Hoonigan is basically the badge of approval for being a broke dick. It's like them admitting and knowing, but the sticker makes it all justified. Basically hoonigan is a slang term for douche.

imotion s14
08-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Was looking for a shell on CL... about half of them had Hoonigan stickers and look like EBOLAIDS.

!Zar!
08-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Hoonigan is an awesome brand.

Matej
08-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Hoonigan really speaks to my inner angst and individualism, which I for some reason choose to express primarily through my car.
They get me. Like Limp Bizkit got suburban teenagers in the late 90s.

Touge Noob S13
08-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Hoonigan is the white man's Fatlace

KiLLeR2001
08-11-2015, 12:14 AM
Prepare yourselves for a wall of text....

You're my favorite new member, even though you've been here for a year. :kiss:

Definitions...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoonigan

Story time...

Just the other day my friend was going to look at an s13, I saw in the pictures it had big ass stickers on the windshield obstructing view, one of them being HOONIGAN. I told my friend to not waste his time that car is trash. He asked me how I knew and I said because of that hoonigan sticker. He didn't believe me. Next day we go look at the car, and everything I thought it would be, it was and more. Spray bombed primer everywhere, all over the trim and on the glass. Zipties in every orifice. Stripped interior. Rusted out trunk from taking the wing off and leaving the holes open to receive water. Front core support all smashed up, frame rails all smashed up. Rear bumper bar all smashed up. Wiring fiasco in the engine bay that literally gave me a miniature heart attack, the list was endless.

My friend asked me (right next to the seller) what I thought about the price they were negotiating on and if I thought it was worth it, and normally I don't say anything mean or negative, I try to respect everyone equally but this time I could not hold myself back. I said something along the lines of... "Honestly bro, just like I told you the other day, I wouldn't spend a dollar on this car. It's worth absolutely nothing to me, and is not something I would ever get into." He was kinda taken aback by this because you could tell in my voice I was seriously agitated. And the seller was probably saying to himself, "damn that guy is a dick." But the truth had to be spoken on this day my friends.

And the worst part is... The seller was saying things along the lines of "Yeah this is a pretty clean body, great project for someone." He was talking as if this condition of 240sx was the norm. But I guess in a lot of ways, it is the normal condition of these cars now. All of the more reason why clean unmolested specimens pull an absolute premium. They are worth it.

tl;dr --> Fuck the hoonigan lifestyle.

DIENOW
08-11-2015, 12:26 AM

HAHAH! Best post yet!

Lees_Garage
08-11-2015, 12:37 AM
There is a lot of negative opinion in this thread, but I will continue to support the brand by viewing their videos, buying t-shirts, and attending various events at The Hoonigan Garage.

Seems to me, too many of you worry about what other people think way to much. If I cared much about what other people thought of me, I wouldn't be pouring money into, and doting over a '91 Nissan at almost 30yrs old.

Although there are a lot of piles on the road "rockin Hoonigan swag", I'll continue my support, and you'll see my driving my "not a pile" 240 in a Hoonigan t-shirt every once in a while.

If you don't care for the brand, that's fine, but don't automatically paint everyone with a Hoonigan sticker with the same brush. There are some clean rides representing.

Matej
08-11-2015, 12:43 AM
Seems to me, too many of you worry about what other people think way to much.
It does tend to seem that way when you make a thread specifically asking people why they think what they think.

Lees_Garage
08-11-2015, 12:46 AM
It does tend to seem that way when you make a thread specifically asking people why they think what they think.

Saw someone post pics of their very nice S14, just to be bashed for having a small Hoonigan sticker on the car. I didn't understand the hate, wanted to find out why.

Matej
08-11-2015, 01:15 AM
http://matejblahut.com/media/image/serious/whattolookforwhenbuyingacar.jpg

Sumslapper
08-11-2015, 02:19 AM
I always wondered why all the hate on Hoonigan too, as I really enjoy the videos and driving they do. I find it much more interesting to see rough looking cars shredding tires and being pushed to the limits than paying to look at parked cars at car shows. I don't care for the whole #aintcare branding, but it seems to be working well so kudos to them on marketing.

I think one of the local drift teams Animal Style is rocking some Hoonigan slaps, and I enjoy their videos and cars as well. They also have legit parts and wheels.

tricky_ab
08-11-2015, 05:03 AM
Hoonigan really speaks to my inner angst and individualism, which I for some reason choose to express primarily through my car.
They get me. Like Limp Bizkit got suburban teenagers in the late 90s.

http://i.imgur.com/qVbUArb.gif

spooled240
08-11-2015, 05:28 AM
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

StatticMyke
08-11-2015, 07:45 AM
simply - they seem to be encouraging everything i hate about drifting.

^This.

No one knows or honestly really cares where #aintcare originated, just what its become. It is everything most enthusiast hate about drifting. The whole, beat the shit outta your car, and just roll with it attitude kills it for me.

Lees_Garage
08-11-2015, 08:13 AM
The junk cars, zip tie theme has been going on pretty strong since before Hellaflush hit the scene. Truth is, there are only a handful of S-chassis owners that want to put together a clean car. We can keep blaming brands, or we can just admit that 85% of 240 owners are immature, broke, and love throwing together a car with zip ties and bubble gum.

FaLKoN240
08-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Everyone wanna build a final bout car, but they want to live the hoonigan lifestyle.

You gotta choose one.

RalliartRsX
08-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Everyone wanna build a final bout car, for $10 because #aintcare.......

There, fixed for truff.

!Zar!
08-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Looks dope to me. TFkqfUXziXY

Almighty So
08-11-2015, 09:53 AM
You're my favorite new member, even though you've been here for a year. :kiss:

http://static.deathandtaxesmag.com/uploads/2013/09/christian-bale-american-psycho-gif-i3.gif

Truth is, there are only a handful of S-chassis owners that want to put together a clean car. We can keep blaming brands, or we can just admit that 85% of 240 owners are immature, broke, and love throwing together a car with zip ties and bubble gum.

Lee, you seem to be a rare case my friend. Not only do you support Hoonigan but you seem intelligent and you drive a clean car with nice parts. It's not often we come across someone of your stature.
I agree with you that S-chassis owners who can be proud of a nice car are in the minority. I agree most 240 owners are immature and broke. But I don't blame that on the 240. I blame that on Hoonigan which is where this all comes from.

No immature teen was smart enough to think: "This 20 year old car I've never heard of before has almost perfect weight distribution for initiating and maintaining drift! It also has a great aftermarket with plenty of parts. Good chassis to pick up!"
Someone showed them the bullshit ways. Someone taught them to spray neon plastidip and buy zipties and have dents because they make you look cool. Hoonigan.

Say 10 out 100 S-chassis enthusiasts want to build a clean, respectable chassis. The other 90 just want to bullshit around and destroy cars while being reckless and immature until all the chassis are ruined and crushed and gone. Then they go be reckless and immature elsewhere in life.
If this is the case, fuck those 90 people. I'd rather the community just be 10 people who would like to see these cars last and in good condition too.

How detrimental is it to support the idea of destroying the core of our hobby/interest because ain't care?
Some of us actually like s-chassis' as much as we like drifting, so ruining these chassis' doesn't always sit well with me.

We hate them because.. well we hate them. We would like them to leave our "community" or "scene" or whatever we call it these days because they bring nothing positive to it.
Sure some of them can drive, but there are a lot of extremely talented guys who can drive. They also do it cleaner cars that they actually maintain too.
That doesn't outweigh the fact that they've spread the cancerous idea that its cool to destroy your shit and ruin everything because you're a drift rock star.

Another main point of debate that I think we aren't on the same page with;

1st definition of Hoonigan: A brand put together by some good drivers who were friends and having fun.

2nd definition of Hoonigan: that fucking 17 year old kid with the puffy neon skateboard shoes with a vape pen sticking out of his face right above his tire slayer tank top and right below his hoonigan flat brim. he demands to know why you haven't done an sr20 swap because "his boys rips". He also questions why you spent that much on "TE.. what are they called?" when you simply could have "gotten cleaner rotas in better sizes for way cheaper". He scoffs as he lays down some rubber in his one tire fire single cam. The tires screech and the ebay exhaust pops wildly as now everyone is staring at you standing next to your car thinking you're just the same type of idiot.

The point being, not a single one of us has ever used the first definition. Willing to bet some didn't even know it existed.

Lees_Garage
08-11-2015, 10:41 AM
2nd definition of Hoonigan: that fucking 17 year old kid with the puffy neon skateboard shoes with a vape pen sticking out of his face right above his tire slayer tank top and right below his hoonigan flat brim. he demands to know why you haven't done an sr20 swap because "his boys rips". He also questions why you spent that much on "TE.. what are they called?" when you simply could have "gotten cleaner rotas in better sizes for way cheaper". He scoffs as he lays down some rubber in his one tire fire single cam. The tires screech and the ebay exhaust pops wildly as now everyone is staring at you standing next to your car thinking you're just the same type of idiot.

Almighty So, thanks for the kind words.

You make logical points, but I am going to have to agree to disagree.

This is why I maintain my stance. I have followed Hoonigan since its inception, and found some of the best fabricators, eg kibbetech, because of them. I have been to a couple events at The Hoonigan Donut Shop, and had a great time, also met some great people with awesome rides there. I've personally met Vaughn Gitten jr, and Brian Scotto, both great dudes with great business sense, and amazing cars.

I do feel it is very unfortunate that the trash that has latched on to the Hoonigan brand has overpowered what I feel (definition 1) is "The Hoonigan" brand.

I do love this definition of ricer boy 240 drivers!

Say 10 out 100 S-chassis enthusiasts want to build a clean, respectable chassis. The other 90 just want to bullshit around and destroy cars while being reckless and immature until all the chassis are ruined and crushed and gone. Then they go be reckless and immature elsewhere in life.
If this is the case, fuck those 90 people. I'd rather the community just be 10 people who would like to see these cars last and in good condition too.

I also strive to be one of the 10 my friend.

Almighty So
08-11-2015, 10:54 AM
This is why I maintain my stance. I have followed Hoonigan since its inception, and found some of the best fabricators, eg kibbetech, because of them. I have been to a couple events at The Hoonigan Donut Shop, and had a great time, also met some great people with awesome rides there. I've personally met Vaughn Gitten jr, and Brian Scotto, both great dudes with great business sense, and amazing cars.

I do feel it is very unfortunate that the trash that has latched on to the Hoonigan brand has overpowered what I feel (definition 1) is "The Hoonigan" brand.

see that's completely understandable. being a shop that's that well known, they likely attract some people who are really good at what they do. I've also seen pictures of some sweet cars they've had there.

I would never go there and stand outside the fence yelling "you're doing it wrong." I have nothing against those guys.

But I am from the Midwest where our Hoonigan representatives are strictly the second definition. They lack any niceties that Hoonigan has/had.

I think we can just agree that we will always have different terms for what we are even hating in the first place.
I hate those kids who destroy shit and I just so happen to call them Hoonigans cause I don't have another word for it.
You probably hate those kids too but you already have a different idea of what Hoonigan is so my definition would seem out of context/irrational.

KiLLeR2001
08-11-2015, 11:03 AM
I think Lee needs to attend a couple of craigslist local car meets and listen to all the kids with hoonigan stickers on their cars speak. Should only take a couple of sentences for him to realize the severity of the situation.

OutlawLui
08-11-2015, 11:15 AM
HOONIGAN

Sounds so trashy

Lees_Garage
08-11-2015, 12:23 PM
I think we can just agree that we will always have different terms for what we are even hating in the first place.
I hate those kids who destroy shit and I just so happen to call them Hoonigans cause I don't have another word for it.
You probably hate those kids too but you already have a different idea of what Hoonigan is so my definition would seem out of context/irrational.

This :rawk:

I think Lee needs to attend a couple of craigslist local car meets and listen to all the kids with hoonigan stickers on their cars speak. Should only take a couple of sentences for him to realize the severity of the situation.

I'm sure you are correct, but I would never attend a craigslist car meet. lol. I do attend events being represented by the actual creators (SEMA, Nitto auto enthusiast day, FD Long beach, etc), which is probably why I have a different opinion.

KiLLeR2001
08-11-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm sure you are correct, but I would never attend a craigslist car meet. lol. I do attend events being represented by the actual creators (SEMA, Nitto auto enthusiast day, FD Long beach, etc), which is probably why I have a different opinion.

Of course you wouldn't attend these meets, if you did you would know what we are talking about. It almost appears as if you have protected yourself within a bubble from all the negative aspects this new generation is bringing towards these cars, aka... living under a rock.

Lees_Garage
08-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Of course you wouldn't attend these meets, if you did you would know what we are talking about. It almost appears as if you have protected yourself within a bubble from all the negative aspects this new generation is bringing towards these cars, aka... living under a rock.

I'm sure you are mostly correct. I don't frequent the forums much aside from buying and selling parts, and following builds that I've been following for years. I don't go to any S-Chassis meets, just hang out with buddies that have been into 240's for years, etc.

Like I stated before, and as Almighty so pointed out, 1 out of 10, or less are being done right. IMHO this started happening a long time ago, long before Hellaflush and ain't care, which is why I've distanced myself. I'm here because of a long term love of the s chassis.

KiLLeR2001
08-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Like I stated before, and as Almighty so pointed out, 1 out of 10, or less are being done right. IMHO this started happening a long time ago, long before Hellaflush and ain't care, which is why I've distanced myself. I'm here because of a long term love of the s chassis.

Yes. After the Tokyo Drift movie, the S-Chassis game would never be the same. The drift craze had begun full circle. Everyone that bought Honda Civics and Integras after the first F&F movie were putting them up for sale now and looking to dive into a 240sx. These types were the drift kiddies (do you even drift bro?), mega stretch tires, excessive camber, drift missiles afoot etc. Now what we have is the 2nd stage of the drift missile, the hoonigan-spec. Take your standard piece of shit drift missile car and then make it even more ridiculous but adding the "ain't care" attitude. This is the dangerous aspect of hipster vapers who shouldn't even be working on cars, driving around with none of their bolts torqued to factory spec, missing studs on the hubs and hacked up core supports / frame rails for "moar low". They actively drive in the street and perform illegal activities all for the sake of "hooning". I've actually heard someone say something along the lines of "Hey bro, you want to go hoon around town tonight?" These assholes either end up totaling their cars, hurting someone, going directly to jail, or a combination of all three.

Mishkin_707
08-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Have you guys seen what the term "hoon" means in Australia? That's why they're bags o dicks, here in the United States, they embrace the term, when the people in Australia get called that it offends them

Jarom717
08-13-2015, 11:01 PM
uh how about the main fuckin dude.. what's his name? oh yeah ken block.

AALxZaXJiKA

when i think of hoonigan i think of a retard in a shit missile.
when i think of nike, i think of a shoe.
they're pretty much incomparable considering nike has never been known for supporting overweight criminals (which is by far the most random comparison i've read in a while:confused:) but hoonigan has been known for shitty cars and driving for quite a while now.
Yeah I really do hate that dude. And it seems all the guys there watching and cheering aren't even car guys, they just like seeing stupid crap and antics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rbpwrd240
08-14-2015, 03:51 AM
Almighty So, thanks for the kind words.

You make logical points, but I am going to have to agree to disagree.

I do love this definition of ricer boy 240 drivers!

I also strive to be one of the 10 my friend.

Its great that you followed it and understand it and appreciate the people who created it but the truth is that the people they have recruited as their clientel have ruined the brand.

Its the same guys with duck tape and zip ties holding shit together. The ones who use drywall screws on their body kits. The same ones with a teddy bear hanging off their rear tow hook, a jdm student driver sticker in the window and dildo shift knobs 2 and a half feet tall that think tis funny to drift around the parking lot at the local car meet with their 4K dollar S13 shit box. All while throwing rocks at other nicer cars and attracting unwanted attention by law enforcment and JQ Public.

Its the same people that cut you off in rush hour traffic becouse they dont give a shit if they bump you in their patch work quilt paint job.

Oh and lets not forget these same people are the very same people that were fooled that by thinking they represented a brand built around speed and winning that it some how made an improvment in them or a lifestyle statment on their own intentions of speed and "aint care". Anotherwords their dousches on the road and an accident wating to happen all while they put others at risk while making the rest of us look bad.

Im also a near 30 year old 240 owner and I wont ever sell mine but I dont even feel like I would get along with 80% of the people I see driving 240's on the road today. Hoonin stickers with Circus interior stylings ugh..... I cant say anymore or Im gunna puke in my mouth again.:picardfp:

Pacman911
03-03-2017, 08:17 PM
How many of you guys actually race for points? We go out and run our car till it's damn near dead every week. If this means running flats until the end of the race or blowing a motor we will finish. When I think of a "hoonigan" I think of Ken Block or Ryan Tuerk not some dumb shit head as you all refer to. To me it seems like all of the uneducated couch drivers on here need to learn the difference between a real race team and kids on the street. If you all knew that difference then this wouldn't even be a topic on here.

VROOOM
03-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Did you join just to post in a 2 year old thread??

rawgarage
03-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Did you join just to post in a 2 year old thread??

I was bout to fire that ass up too

tricky_ab
03-04-2017, 12:22 PM
How many of you guys actually race for points? We go out and run our car till it's damn near dead every week. If this means running flats until the end of the race or blowing a motor we will finish. When I think of a "hoonigan" I think of Ken Block or Ryan Tuerk not some dumb shit head as you all refer to. To me it seems like all of the uneducated couch drivers on here need to learn the difference between a real race team and kids on the street. If you all knew that difference then this wouldn't even be a topic on here.

https://19807-presscdn-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/3ec/ac/whiguyblink.gif

tuzzio
03-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Almost looks like another mhubeny on our hands

feito
03-04-2017, 01:56 PM
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/andres14oj/watchout_zpsddsqno5r.png (http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/andres14oj/media/watchout_zpsddsqno5r.png.html)

RB25GUY
03-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Intro to Hooniganology 101

5280VertDET
03-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Intro to Hooniganology 101

Advanced Hubenyology 201*

Mastering Fuckboi 301

Prerequisite required: Intro to Hooniganology 101

FaLKoN240
03-04-2017, 04:31 PM

Why did you bump a two year old thread like any of us would know who you are?

Who the fuck are you?

Phlip
03-05-2017, 07:49 AM

You joined the forum and blew your VERY first post on bragging who you are?
No one knows you