PDA

View Full Version : Anything specific to look for on a test drive?

DaveSev
08-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey, I'm going to check out a '97 240SX LE sometime this week (hopefully, if it hasn't been sold yet). It's an auto w/ 71k miles. Is there any specific things I should look for or test while driving? Thanks....BTW, they're asking 5900 for it. Sound like a good deal?

Var
08-23-2004, 05:29 PM
I know a girl who is selling a 96 SE 5-spd with 109K on it for $6,000 red on black.

180sx purewhite
08-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Check Tie Rod bushings they may have ruptured, When engine is turned on listen for a rattling noise coming from the engine this may be that the timing chain is screwed.

tastyratz
08-23-2004, 09:22 PM
most 240s have timing chain rattle. if you dont know fully what to really look for i suggest you bring a friend who knows his shit and have them listen. anything odd really. if not ask if you can schedule an appt to get it looked at at a local mechanic NOT the dealer mechanic obviously. check for any shake or non smoothness driving, shake the car to check the shocks, hard starting, rough idle, rough running, any weird sounds... check the engine for any leaks (oil runoff that seems recent etc.) check the oil and see if its milky. if it is thats a big no no. smell the exhaust and see if it smells like rotten eggs. put a white cloth in front of the exhaust while its running for a bit. if the cloth looks blue its burning oil, if it gets black its running rich. tons of little tricks. dont be afraid to beat her to death and whip around to get a feel. if they dont like it whatever your the one with the cash...

Bill Roberts
08-23-2004, 10:30 PM
All of the above and:

Drive it really easy and listen. Also, have someone else drive the car and tell them "easy" and listen from the passenger seat. you notice different shit over there. At about 35, mph, put on the brakes with your hands very light on the wheel. See if she pulls or vibrates. Brake repair needed??

If it is standard shift....get up to 20 and put it into 4th and hit it hard with the clutch out. Does she slip? vibrate? bog down? Should be a smooth low rumble up to 50 pretty quick.

Check all fluids. Clear and topped off. Do this before the drive.

Rawhide 3rd to 4th, speedshift and make sure the clutch grabs like a dozen gorillas.

Look for smoke out the back window during acceleration.

Rehearse a spare tire change. See if the tools are there, if the spare is good and do a front tire where you can see the wear of the rotors and brakes.

That is a good start.

Also, if the car has less than 1/2 tank of gas, the owner does not give a fuck about it. I never buy a car on empty.

DaveSev
08-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the tips thus far. BTW Bill, it's an auto, but I'm sure those tips will come in handy for someone (or maybe me later down the line).

One more big question....what's a good way to tell if the car's been in a wreck? I jst saw pics of the car tonight, and it's been debadged, and it has aftermarket pedals; I'm guessing a kid owned it. And 5900 is quite cheap for a S14 'round here. Only clue I know is bad fitment (which looks alright from the pics), and paint on the interior of the door is a different color.

psychedelicbeats
08-25-2004, 08:18 PM
shift from d1, d2, d. all the way through. seller should see the power of the lower gears, and so should yourself. this would determine engine performance as well as tranny performance. at least that's what i did. too bad i didn't bother to check reverse for long so now i'm scrweed with a grinding noise (or a rubbing noise... how do u fix it anyways?)

tastyratz
08-25-2004, 11:20 PM
best way to check a wreck is to carfax it. look at all the frame components and bracings and such. i almost got an s14 awhile ago but i seen the big nasty weld going along the radiator support and found it it was in a major accident. welds creases dents from hammers, all big giveaways.

blu808
08-26-2004, 02:42 AM
Make sure the wheels dont fall off. :doh:

aznpoopy
08-26-2004, 07:11 AM
meh... its a 1997. low miles and its only 6k. overall is a pretty damn good deal.

do a carfax on it. you can try haggling the price if u find anything wrong but i doubt there will be too many problems with it.

S14Speed997
08-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Rawhide 3rd to 4th, speedshift and make sure the clutch grabs like a dozen gorillas.

buahahahahahahahaaha!