PDA

View Full Version : Changed Front Crankshaft Seal, car seems to of lost power.....

Mustangs Suck
08-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Well, I think I put the seal in backwards or something, idk, the oil still slowly drips - when you look inside the seal you see springs, do those face the inside of the motor or the back of the crankshaft pulley/outside of the motor?

Also, the car seems to of lost lots of power between 4-6K, almost like it's not moving at all,and i can hear an odd squeaky/rattling coming from my crankshaft pulley.

I'm thinking because I don't have an air tool, I wasn't able to torque it down (even though i put a cement block in front of the rear tires, and put it in 5th gear to prevent moving) enough with just a breaker bar and a lead pipe on it, so maybe it's sort of loose and that could be the cause of the noise....but I'm kind of stumped if it isn't that...everything else is working fine.

Any ideas?

P.S. sorry for all these front main seal threads, but I need help!

Ritz S14
08-22-2004, 04:19 PM
The flat part of the seal where it show the part number faces out.Also, check your timing, to make sure you didn't misalign the chain.

Mustangs Suck
08-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Alright thanks, and yeah I was figuring that's probably the reason as to why the power loss.

So i got the still slow oil leak and power issues covered, Now i just gotta figure out the metal clanking...which I *think* is due to no power tools, so not torqued down to what it should be and is rattling.

Thanks for the help!