PDA

View Full Version : F****** books!!!

morpheus8486
08-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Well its about time for college to start(NDSU) and I just sat down at my computer to make a book list and I'm friggin pissed. The site listed books for 5 of my 7 classes and if that's all I need and can somehow(hopefully) buy all of my books used, I'm still gonna have to dish out about $350. It'll be well over $400 if I can't get them used. I'm pissed. That's a set of adjustable rear upper arms I could have. Damn educations are expensive. I need another job. Just thought I would vent.

The ROMAN
08-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Hells yeah. College, just like every other business, will rip you off if they can. I just finished summer courses and am soon to start fall. The best is when to go to the "Book Buyback" and they offer you $5 for a book you bought for $80 and used for a few months. Someone should start a underground used book store that sells peoples books for a good price, give the bastards some competition!

mjjstang
08-18-2004, 06:51 PM
are these upper arms made out of a ferrous metal becasue if so, chances are they will become unusable in 15-20 years due to a reacion called oxidation, otherwise known as rust, whereas a college education in 15-20 years will probably still be workin for ya.

on the other hand I feel your frustration, I finally said fuck it, Im too lazy to turn my books in for the shit money i will receive so I have piles of books to turn in, hopefully it will add up and my dad will forget and I could maybe buy something for my car.

kingsol
08-18-2004, 07:08 PM
i know how you feel... i just payed 518.36 just for books!!! :faint:

BSeay
08-18-2004, 07:11 PM
i understand your pain....i have 16 credit hours this semester and i'm gonna be broker then fuck buying these books...damn college education...

Look on the bright side...maybe since you bought the book some hottie in the class will have forgotten hers and then your in like flint... :boink:

Macadoshus
08-18-2004, 07:24 PM
College textbooks are probably one of the biggest scams known to man, like your not spending enough money on college already. They should really just role them up into tuition, which of course no one would ever do.

The only two things I would recommend, are to not buy any books until you actually need them for a class. I can't tell you how many times we never got to one of the books in a particular class. Or my favorite scam, when the professor required you to buy a book *they* wrote, and then never use the thing.

The second is trying to take as many classes with friends as you can so you can try and share the cost of the books.

Probably have thought of both of these, but I figured I would throw them out there, as they helped me save a few bucks when I was in school.

Mac

cali240sxdrifter
08-18-2004, 08:37 PM
485.17 for mine. Ugh! I don't even want to think what I could have bought with that.

SilviaDriver
08-18-2004, 08:41 PM
probably less than 100 for me =D

mrmephistopheles
08-18-2004, 08:48 PM
i lucked out.. i'm only taking 2 classes, and I scored used books for $50/per. There's a good chance I can turn around and sell them for $50 next session, too.

FastBack 240
08-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Thank god for scholarships.

tastyratz
08-18-2004, 09:46 PM
or thank god for half.com when i took some classes i got 65$ books for like 20$ used. dont buy through the college just MAKE SURE you get the same year/revision/etc of the book cuz i made that mistake. you can get alot of older used books and not know.

pruto
08-18-2004, 11:46 PM
stop whinning. I'm going to dish out about $520 for mine.

G_Fish240
08-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Last year I spent 300 fall semester and 500 spring semester. My car got stolen with my first semester books in it so I didnt even get to sell those back, I sold my spring semester books back for 120 :(

Andrew Bohan
08-19-2004, 02:09 AM
amazon.com is your friend. if i had gotten my books last quarter from the bookstore on campus, it would have been $230, but i got one from the library and the other 2 from amazon for a grand total of $20 :fawkd:

wootwoot
08-19-2004, 04:27 AM
stoked on grants and scholarships right now.

aznpoopy
08-19-2004, 07:51 AM
amazon.com is your friend. if i had gotten my books lat quarter from the bookstore on campus, it would have been $230, but i got one from the library and the other 2 from amazon for a grand total of $20 :fawkd:

good advice... when i was in college i did the same thing. try to find the books you need online or from other vendors. NEVER buy from the University bookstore. even better if you can get a used one from ebay or something. when classes are over check prices for them online and at the local university buy back... sell to whoever pays more.

Andrew Bohan
08-19-2004, 09:36 AM
i usually get the best prices selling to other students at the beginning of the next quarter. sell for less than the bookstore sells em for, but more than the bookstore buys em back for. lotta peole can't pass up the convenience of you standing right in front of em (as long as they have money on em)

nightwalker
08-19-2004, 10:21 AM
i say fuck college. All college teaches you is to go work for the man!

yashin
08-19-2004, 01:42 PM
i usually try to pick up used books, cuts my cost by 50%-75%,

then i sell me books the next year, so it kinda balances out