PDA

View Full Version : All Hubs Created Equal?

KA24DESOneThree
08-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Alright, well I bought a steering wheel and am going to buy a spline-type quick disconnect from Panda Garage. Now all I need is a hub. Are all hubs created equal, or should I expect to get what I pay for? Here's one I have in mind: http://www.4caroption.com/Pdut_detail.asp?prod_CD=HUB-ON06-BOSS&LineID=Car%20Accessories&CateID=Steering%20Wheel
However, there's also this genuine Momo hub: http://store.yahoo.com/ltbmotorsport/hubkit.html
Should I suck it up and stop being such a tightwad, or should I continue in my ways?

This isn't really pertinent to Nissans... I really just wanted to know if off-brand hubs would be safe. Mods, if you think this is somehow pertinent to Nissans, feel free to move it.

twong85
08-18-2004, 04:51 AM
Well I was down at Jspec today and compared the HKB and the Nismo hub for like 15min. The quality of the nismo is really good and looks like the outer cover matches the interior much better. The design of both were very similar though so I assume they both work about the same. The nismo costs more because the design is nicer looking and the build material is higher quality. But if you are only care about functionality the hkb type would be fine. (I bought the Nismo btw D:...)

btw the nismo only fit nardi/personal/nismo but since you are getting the quick release I don't think that would matter. Some people like the idea of universal hub.

Macadoshus
08-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Personally I got an HKB hub on my 240. Works great and you can't beat the price, also it is universal so you won't have compatibility issues with some steering wheels which is a plus.

The MOMO/Nismo might be better quality, haven't seen them so I can't speak on it personally, but I would personally recommend the HKB hub.

Mac

KA24DESOneThree
08-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Can I get the HKB hub for less than $60?

soulDistortion
08-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Alright, well I bought a steering wheel and am going to buy a spline-type quick disconnect from Panda Garage. Now all I need is a hub. Are all hubs created equal, or should I expect to get what I pay for? Here's one I have in mind: http://www.4caroption.com/Pdut_detail.asp?prod_CD=HUB-ON06-BOSS&LineID=Car%20Accessories&CateID=Steering%20Wheel

I have that exact hub in my S13 attached to my Tomei steering wheel. It's not as "pretty" looking as model-specific hubs, but it does it's job fine. I couldn't figure out how to keep the turn-signal cancel (and didn't feel like trying to figure it out), but it's only a minor annoyance.

Macadoshus
08-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Sure the HKB hub is the one you link to first in your orignal post. Although it is not listed in the text, if you look at the pic of the box it says HKB Sports on the top. So it is $39 bills + shipping. I got mine off ebay for a little over $30 shipped, but I don't know how often they are listed on there.

Mac

KA24DESOneThree
08-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Oh snap, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out.

Macadoshus
08-18-2004, 02:22 PM
No Problem.

twong85
08-19-2004, 04:34 AM
Seems like most people wouldn't spend the extra $10 for the nismo one. To each their own I guess.

KA24DESOneThree
08-19-2004, 01:20 PM
No bling on my ride. By the way, I bought the hub from eBay... $42 shipped with taxes.