PDA

View Full Version : I hate hackers.

jaymatic
05-30-2015, 01:13 AM
So I tried downloading a song from soundcloud and I got this scary ass virus on my mac and couldn't exit out of safari. In summation, i panicked in the moment and called this hotline to "help" me, lost $300 so that they "fix" my virus, hacked my IP address, now I disconnected my router and every device that has been contacted with the router, and I changed my password to everything. Fuck me right, lesson learned. :/

5280VertDET
05-31-2015, 07:56 AM
It's not hacking, you got phished and dupped. Next time, take it to the Apple Store Genius Bar, most software fixes are free.

It sucks man, but if you are still having issues, I am an Ex-"Genius" and IT Professional. Let me know if I can help.

w0nderbr3ad
05-31-2015, 12:39 PM
For anything I download whether free or paid, I test on a clone of my local machine from within virtualbox/vmware/whatever I have available. Sucks about your mac, but be weary of everything that comes from the internet.

jaymatic
05-31-2015, 01:32 PM
thanks for your guys' tips, appreciate it. I changed every password from my social networking sites, changed my xfinity password and SSID, cancelled all of my debit/credit cards etc. I should be fine now, i also filed a complaint to the IC3. I just need to call the claims dept. for my bank so that i can try to get reimbursed.