PDA

View Full Version : what tire guage do you use? which do you consider the best?

TurDz
08-15-2004, 02:21 PM
I am looking into getting a better tire guage. I have heard digitals are not the way to go, so I was wondering what kind all of you guys use, and also which one you think is the best on the market (maybe both value-wise and pure performance wise).

thanks for any input.

thx247
08-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Hm, I've got stock wheels and the valves are pretty easy to reach, I prefer the stand alone mechanical type. I only need to use one hand to put the guage on, and I can read it. The types with the tube on a guage you have to hold with both hands...sorta annoying sometimes if I'm trying to stay off the ground or something.

Mechanical guage for its speed, digital is too slow. Get one that has a button you can depress to release the pressure in the guage, lets you see your pressure without having to hold the guage on the tire. Win.

TurDz
08-15-2004, 10:43 PM
hey man,

you were at the 8/13 buttonwillow event, right? my name is chris, i was with dave in the black s13 hatch.

thanks for the info.

FastBack 240
08-15-2004, 11:03 PM
I got a 10 dollar digital at Radio Shack. Pretty accurate and instant response.

TurDz
08-15-2004, 11:22 PM
yeah, I have an Accutire one, very nice looking design. Brushed aluminum finish, red number readings, but the pressure is hard to seal when I place it against tire valves. Sometimes I end up losing up to 4psi because I'm fiddling with trying to just get it on. True, I've gotten really good with it, but I'm still looking for something a bit higher up in quality.

FastBack 240
08-16-2004, 01:38 AM
^ the radioshack one comes with a nice case as well. Its the same as a case for glass' but molds to the pressure gauge. Yea at first it was hard to get use to but now it works like a champ for me.

goodjuan
08-16-2004, 03:08 AM
I just bought a tire pressure gauge from dave tuner. He suggested to just get a cheap longacre one for 20 bucks...his opinion was that no matter what gauge you get, you don't know if it's still accurate after a year.

I ended up getting http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=231&catid=8

there's no peak hold feature...just a bleed button so you can lower pressure after a lap heats up your tires. but it works great

MikeDeuce
08-16-2004, 12:11 PM
I have the same longacre one... permanent home in the glove compartment of my track car. Make sure to get one with a bleed button if you plan on doing more track or autox.

TRUENOCOUPE
08-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Im using Snap On/Blue Point.

thx247
08-17-2004, 12:10 AM
hey man,

you were at the 8/13 buttonwillow event, right? my name is chris, i was with dave in the black s13 hatch.

thanks for the info.

Yeh I was there with my crappy digital tire guage (forgot my other one), I'm pretty bad with names though so I don't remember what you look like. I remember dave though...I had to find him to go work (He was out on the track)

Thanks for coming.