PDA

View Full Version : New idea on floor jack alternative. Would appreciate advise/feedback.

andy107
05-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, I've been working on an idea for a long while and would like your honest feedback. The original idea started in high school when I was taking automotive classes and was afraid to use a floor jack or 2 post host, but left the idea abandoned till now. I never really gotten around towards starting a concept till 3 years ago.

What I've built is a "floor jack alternative" for cars with low ground clearance. Or for those who would just like to have an easier way to access the vehicle without crawling under the car.

Warning. This is a very very long write up with possible grammar/punctuation errors. I also apologize for the altered image. I just want to protect my work. But the concept of the jack is to have the car, be lifted by the wheel.

Let me know what you think of the concept. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks. :)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/11204841_1099053416778093_1257619204_o.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/11204841_1099053416778093_1257619204_o.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/11215571_1099053420111426_1259077753_o.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/11215571_1099053420111426_1259077753_o.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/11221096_1099053400111428_167424648_o.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/11221096_1099053400111428_167424648_o.jpg.html)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my elevator pitch "using a made up name"

Tire Jack, an alternative car lifting solution.

Unlike traditional floor jacks, Tire Jack does not use any part of the frame to lift the car, resulting in no damage or safety hazard to the user or vehicle. Effectively, automobiles with zero ground clearance can be lifted with almost no effort, thus saving time and wasted labor. Due to the nature of the patented design. All of this is possible while still maintaining its portability to be stored under your tool box or vehicle trunk.

Tire Jack is not a replacement of the common floor jack. It is simply an alternative for guys who want a safer and more efficient way to work on their vehicles.

The Problem:

~Most cars have at least 4 recommended pick up points on the vehicle. When using the floor jack, it is hard for the user to place safety stands in place of the lift point where it is currently being occupied by a "mechanical lift". So the only choice is to place the safety stands on another part of the vehicle, further and away from the recommended factory resting points. Most of the time it discourages users from using safety stands.

~Floor jacks have an average lift height of 12-18 inches. For example when the vehicle frame is 5 inches from the ground, you lose 5 inches of workable height and only gaining 7-13 inches of total lift. To add more height to the floor jack, wooden blocks are placed on the jack pad to achieve higher lift. As you add more blocks, the floor jack becomes more unstable under load. Especially when the floor jack or vehicle has to roll forward when being lifted.

~Sometimes adding more blocks to the jack pad is not possible due to the lack of clearance the vehicle provides. A way to resolve this is to use more than one floor jack to help hold the vehicle up, as the other jack has blocks stacked on top of the jack pad. This works okay for the user but when the vehicle has to be lowered it becomes more dangerous if the blocks slips off the pad.

~Newer or exotic cars have the whole underside covered in plastic or carbon fiber for aerodynamics. This proves rather difficult for anyone finding the proper lift point to lift and support the vehicle, without risking damage.

~Unibody vehicles have pick up points on the pinch weld, over time the area is rusted out, or severely damaged. The user now as to access further under the vehicle to find a suitable pick up point. If the user is not careful, accidental lift on incorrect suspension components could cause damage to the alignment of the vehicle. Worst case scenario, there have been instances where floor pans, gas tanks, oil pans, transmission pans and gas or brake lines were mistakenly damaged due to user error.

~The growing popularity of modified vehicles has caused some dealers and small repair shops to refuse work on lowered cars due to liability. A vehicle too low cannot be driven on alignment racks nor can it be serviced on a 2 post hoist, in part of the host arms not being low enough to swing under the vehicle. The mechanic has to grab the vehicle by its fenders, enough to lift a few inches up and over the hoist arms. This is not the best way to touch paint work on a vehicle, or worst have the fender buckle. Not all modified vehicles have this problem. Some cars with original factory ride height are just as difficult to work on as well. Examples are Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche etc. To solve this, dealers and shops resort to having an expensive underground hoist installed, for low ground clearance vehicles to be driven over and serviced.

~low vehicles not only get declined at shops. Some get declined when towing is not possible without damage. There are companies who specialize in towing low exotic vehicles at a large cost.

~How does anyone work on a car that's lowered? Most drive up on multiple 2x4 wooden blocks wedged under the front or rear wheels. If not careful, makeshift wood ramps will slip under the drive wheel. Resulting in a high speed projectile, causing injury to anyone standing in the way.

~Drive up ramps are popular and can be purchased at your local automotive parts store. Unfortunately most ramps are not low enough to clear the front bumper and requires careful maneuvering of the gas pedal without driving over and off the ramp. If the ramp is not on secure pavement, the ramp will slide ahead of the wheel or will slip from under the tires during incline.

~Anytime a vehicle gets lifted off the ground, it is always a choir to have it done properly without damage to any part of the vehicle. Damage cost can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars depending on the vehicle worked on, whether it's your average low budget ride or someone's $500,000 Lamborghini.

The Solution:

Simple and easy to use. Tire Jack offers a great solution and alternative to the floor jack. Anyone who works on cars will truly notice a difference when using this tool. Because this jack lifts the vehicle by its tire. Having access to the wheel is easier than crawling under car to locate jack points. Limiting any damage or safety concerns the user may have.

Underlying Magic/Key Differentiator:

Tire Jack is uniquely designed with the user in mind. Based off what I would use personally. This is not for your average weekend hobbyist. It's for the daily enthusiasts who are truly invested in their cars and the tools that help build them.

The Opportunity:

For a long time, this was always a known pain point for anyone working on vehicles. If you Google search blogs and web forums, people constantly ask "how to properly lift a vehicle". This was obviously a huge niche to fill. And many took to their own way of building a product around that need. Those items or products include, air bag suspension, air cup kit suspension, race ramps, super low profile race jacks and chassis mounted air jacks. All in which are extremely expensive, but needed as there is no other alternative.

Your Competitive Advantage:

~No need for secondary tools for cars with extremely low ground clearance.

~Tire Jack is portable all while still small enough to store away when not in use.

~Lifting by the wheel has no damage to the vehicle.

~Easy access to vehicle rather than searching for a proper lift point.

~Can be used on alignment racks to help assist vehicles up on a 2 or 4 post lift.

~Time saving and easy way to lift a lowered/slammed car in under 1-2 minutes.

~Can be used on other vehicles instead of a permanent solution such as air ride.

~Avoid the makeshift wood ramps or modifications to your current jack. Tire Jack is real quick and easy to use for auto technicians who value time. No need to call other people to help pull up by the fenders or use multiple floor jacks just to get the car up on the hoist.

~For car repair facilities. Tire Jack pays for itself when customers are not turned away due to liability on servicing lowered vehicles, or any vehicles that are difficult to lift.

Common Questions I get about the Jack.

Q: If it lifts the car by its wheels, how do I have access to the brakes, suspension or the wheel itself?

A: You should always use safety stands when lifting a vehicle. Throw safety/jack stands under the car when using this lift, lower the vehicle on to the stands and remove the lift away from the vehicle. This will allow the car to be up in air, with complete access to the front or rear of the vehicle. To lower the car, simply place the wheel back on the vehicle, while making sure all of the lug nuts are installed and secure. And use the lift to raise and lower the car back on the ground.

NOTE: Never use any jacks on a soft surface, always service a vehicle on solid and level ground area.

Click on link below to check out other competitors out in the market along with price.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=602989

PeaceOnesxWai
05-11-2015, 10:46 PM
cool idea if youre just changing the exhaust and driveline.. but 95% of the time when i jack up the car to get to the brakes, suspension, wheels..

Almighty So
05-11-2015, 10:51 PM
after scoping your other thread this could be interesting depending on price. some of the other expensive jacks in that thread were nice but i don't have 1-3k to spend on getting the car up.
the 2x4 method is pretty simple but annoying and time consuming.

edit for above; jack stands..? :confused:

andy107
05-12-2015, 03:26 AM
Thanks guys. Yes I forgot to mention you should always use safety stands when lifting a vehicle.

Throw safety stands under the car when using this jack and now the car is up in air with access to the wheel and brakes.

vanish1
05-12-2015, 07:43 AM
~Great for tire and alignment shops. With Tire Jack, it would allow more people to come in and have their cars serviced without the extra hassle of traditional floor jacks. Tire Jack pays for itself when you don't have to turn away work due to liability.

meh except most tire shops just jack the car up leave it on the floor jack, do what needs to be done and then puts the car back down.

careful about over thinking this....

andy107
05-12-2015, 08:12 AM
meh except most tire shops just jack the car up leave it on the floor jack, do what needs to be done and then puts the car back down.

careful about over thinking this....

Sorry I meant to state shops working on lowered vehicles. I'll re-edit the post.

PeaceOnesxWai
05-14-2015, 05:09 PM
after scoping your other thread this could be interesting depending on price. some of the other expensive jacks in that thread were nice but i don't have 1-3k to spend on getting the car up.
the 2x4 method is pretty simple but annoying and time consuming.

edit for above; jack stands..? :confused:

Lug nuts wont come off if your wheel is up in the air...

You would have to loosen lug nuts and then jack the car up.. then you would have some serious risks while jacking up the car and putting jack stands underneath

Almighty So
05-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Lug nuts wont come off if your wheel is up in the air...

You would have to loosen lug nuts and then jack the car up.. then you would have some serious risks while jacking up the car and putting jack stands underneath

I would use the brakes to hold the wheels.
Or just break them loose enough that two people can remove the wheel once it's up. If the lugs aren't torqued like crazy but enough to keep the wheel on and from tilting, it'll probably jack up no problem to get a stand under it.

You definitely have a point though. I've never jacked up my car by the tire/wheel before so I honestly couldn't tell you if that would work or not.
Worst case scenario, use this to jack your car up by the wheel, then once it's up, get your old jack onto a jacking point, then drop the car onto the old jack with the addition of wood/phonebooks under the wheel!
At that point just stick with the trusty drive-up-on-wood method though.. haha

andy107
05-14-2015, 10:39 PM
I would use the brakes to hold the wheels.
Or just break them loose enough that two people can remove the wheel once it's up. If the lugs aren't torqued like crazy but enough to keep the wheel on and from tilting, it'll probably jack up no problem to get a stand under it.

You definitely have a point though. I've never jacked up my car by the tire/wheel before so I honestly couldn't tell you if that would work or not.
Worst case scenario, use this to jack your car up by the wheel, then once it's up, get your old jack onto a jacking point, then drop the car onto the old jack with the addition of wood/phonebooks under the wheel!
At that point just stick with the trusty drive-up-on-wood method though.. haha

Good analogy guys. Though at repair shops, cars are placed on the host and lifted up off the ground. The wheel lug nuts are then removed by air impact gun or cordless electric impact gun. You can do this at home if you have a portable compressor + air tools, unless you own a 1/2 cordless impact.

What I would do is, before you lift the vehicle with this jack. Break loose all of the lug nuts "1/4 of a turn" by hand when the car is still on the ground. Don't spin the lug nut all the way off, just brake them loose. Then jack the car up by its wheel, place safety stands on the vehicle and spin the lug nuts off by hand. I do this either way with or with or without driving up on 2x4 wood, then I pick up the car with a jack.

I really do appreciate the feedback guys. :) With is jack, you will have to approach the car in a different way. But I don't think its too far from using a regular floor jack.

Almighty So
05-14-2015, 10:43 PM
What I would do is, before you lift the vehicle with this jack. Break loose all of the lug nuts "1/4 of a turn" by hand when the car is still on the ground. Don't spin the lug nut all the way off, just brake them loose. Then jack the car up by its wheel, place safety stands on the vehicle and spin the lug nuts off by hand.

welp, done deal. i'm sold if the price is reasonable.

andy107
05-14-2015, 10:56 PM
welp, done deal. i'm sold if the price is reasonable.

I am currently looking at all sides on how to make this product best suited for everyone. I was suggested to make 2 of the same jacks but with different material and labor over seas.

The more expensive jack will be cut from 6061 T-6 and Aircraft grade 7075 Billet Aluminum. Essentially 85% Aluminium and 15% steel. This thing will come optional with 20 different powder coat colors to choose from on the steel pieces. And the aluminum will be anodized with a color of your choice or hand polished with clear anodize for scratch protection.

The "budget" jack will be mostly steel and have limited/adjustable features. No custom colors, only black. Steel is 3 times heavier than aluminum. But I can get steel material for decent price. But don't mind the weight, unless your not carrying the jack around. This jack will have wheels/casters with jack handle to move around the shop or garage.

feito
05-14-2015, 11:28 PM
mhh, I really hope you get this thing going and it replaces today's standard jack. Then if I'm still alive in a few decades from now I will be able to say "I remember when the inventor of these tire jacks first asked us for an opinion on the car forums", just to realize no one is paying attention to what Im saying 'cuz everyone is on their brain implanted technology device... oh oh, and then someone will finally say something: "what the hell's a car forum?"...
I might be interested, but will have to see pictures of the final product first. Sounds to me a lot like some sort of disassemblable pit stop jack design to lift from the tire.
Looking forward to see a finish product.
Good luck with the project.

5280VertDET
05-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Cool idea. I assume it would be similar to these, but obviously lift it higher.

https://www.mfrexpress.com/hydraulic-car-dolly-mover-car-jack-1500-lbs-p-809.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwstaqBRCT38DWpZjJotIBEiQAERS 6_AVy4JPgtFLb0PVXqfTTh0CK2hm0zQP9skwOI4rtwDcaAgUm8 P8HAQ

Matej
05-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Make a version that goes all the way across underneath the car (perhaps two of them connected with extension tubes or something), so you can lift the car by both wheels simultaneously.

andy107
05-15-2015, 08:47 PM
mhh, I really hope you get this thing going and it replaces today's standard jack. Then if I'm still alive in a few decades from now I will be able to say "I remember when the inventor of these tire jacks first asked us for an opinion on the car forums", just to realize no one is paying attention to what Im saying 'cuz everyone is on their brain implanted technology device... oh oh, and then someone will finally say something: "what the hell's a car forum?"...
I might be interested, but will have to see pictures of the final product first. Sounds to me a lot like some sort of disassemble pit stop jack design to lift from the tire.
Looking forward to see a finish product.
Good luck with the project.

Thank you for the kind words sir. As a big s-chassis fan myself, you can remember this all started on the 240 forms. :)

When I frist had this jack drawn on scratch paper, I've talked to a few friends along with neighbors about the idea, and compared the concept side by side with the modern floor jack. Not a lot of folks were used to seeing a jack lift a car by its wheels. When we think of floor jacks, we immediately see the tool being used on a vehicle frame. I've realized, I needed to make a list to explain and describe why it's beneficial to approach the vehicle at its wheel, and show people there is another way to lift your car

In the near future, I'll post pictures of the jack once I am settled with a clean desigin. Though I can hint that I wasn't the first to use this method of lifting. As I was doing some searching online, it seems that other countires outside of the U.S. lift vehicles by its wheels more often than we do. It's not common but its nothing new to those folks. Good guess though :)

Cool idea. I assume it would be similar to these, but obviously lift it higher.

https://www.mfrexpress.com/hydraulic-car-dolly-mover-car-jack-1500-lbs-p-809.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwstaqBRCT38DWpZjJotIBEiQAERS 6_AVy4JPgtFLb0PVXqfTTh0CK2hm0zQP9skwOI4rtwDcaAgUm8 P8HAQ

This is what I first used in automotive class, the current jack maybe different but this GoJack is what sparked the idea. :)

Make a version that goes all the way across underneath the car (perhaps two of them connected with extension tubes or something), so you can lift the car by both wheels simultaneously.

Thanks for the input Matej. This may be on my next list of idea's :)

andy107
05-19-2015, 11:08 PM
*Update* Sorry if there are grammar or punctuation errors. It's 1am and I thought I'll throw in an update.

During the past week. I walked around and talked to a few local car guys about the jack. Since this is a relatively new way to approach a vehicle when lifting, I had to help guide people's thoughts on how to use the product and really explain the benefits. I guess to invent new things you really have to think outside the box. Away from conventional methods and see opportunity where others may have never thought of. Once you demonstrate your idea on paper or physical form, your ideals and understandings are on the same page with those who see the same values your trying to solve.

Though value to a individual are never linear. My findings include the following:

Q: Why are you building this jack and who are you really targeting? My harbor freight jack works fine the way it sits.

A: I should really think this through, as to what the sole purpose of this jack will provide for its users. The pain point for folks lifting a vehicle can be variable. There are five types of audiences to serve, one of which may be you.

1.) Guys partaking in the Stance Movement or "just having a lowered car".

2.) Guys who are extremely OCD with how they care, work, and handle their vehicles.

3.) Guys with a collection of exotic/classic vehicles and have money to burn.

4.) Guys who are heavily invested into the tools that help them do the job, or the cars they touch.

5.) Guys who are early adapters, "Just likes to buy and play with new products".

Besides the five listed, the "why" in this jack is to help people find a tool that would make working on your vehicle more enjoyable upon being safe, quick, and easy to use. Ever hear people say, "I love to work on cars, but I hate fixing them"? If it can improve or simplify lifting a vehicle, I can guarantee it will be worth giving this jack a second look.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I believe your audience is slim, not everyone cares to spend money on a bunch of tools or throw more money into a car that actually gets used at drift or track days. My harbor freight low profile jack is cheap, easy to use, and portable. How will I benefit or gain from this new type of jack?

A: I see your point. I can not compete with the all too common "low" profile jack that can be extremely cheap at times. But I do believe there are folks who do look towards a floor jack alternative. I used to do a lot of side jobs, and for a few years worked at dealership as a ASE certified service technician. And I'll tell you what. There are frustrating times where I wished I had a tool to do my work fast and efficient. On the job, time is money. At home in my garage, working on my back on hard pavement sucks, having to crouch on the floor trying to lift a vehicle quickly gets real old and discouraging. Even so with lowered vehicles.

But I realized not everyone works on cars like I do. So I made three sub categories besides the list I have above.

1.) Those who rather pay someone else to work on their cars.

2.) Those who are weekend hobbyist and only tinker on their cars once in a blue moon.

3.) Those who heavily work on cars just about every day of the year.

If your not really invested in working on vehicles, and only do so when you have to or want to. This jack may not be appealing as you compare other jacks in the market. But if there is one situation where it is really needed, it can compete against a regular floor jack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: This thing looks big compared to my low profile harbor freight floor jack. Can it be smaller?

A: The Tire Jack is of size because when used. It sits outside next to the vehicle to be lifted, instead of being rolled under the car like a regular floor jack. The lift point is right out in front of the user, you don't have to go looking under the vehicle for the proper jack point. Remember, the Tire Jack is grabbing a big tire, and it needs to be of size to hold on to that wheel. The footprint of where the load gets distributed is important. I am working on getting the right balance of portability and size for both the product and user in mind. This jack will be visually pleasing as it is functional.

Q: How can this product be more portable?

A: The way this jack works, has a mechanical advantage of being functional without use of a big vertical column. The jack sits completely flat on the ground as shown in the pictures. Great to store under your tool box or other small places where it can be out of the way. All of the "arms" on the jack are detachable to further reduce space and increase portability.

Q: How heavy is this jack?

A: It really depends on the materials used. Cheaper materials can be used on the jack such as steel. But steel is 3 times heavier than aluminum. Consumers who are cost conscious, you really do get what you pay for. Expect the weight to be ball parked around 50-100 pounds, but again it depends on the materials used against what people are willing to pay for.

On another note, I found some entertaining videos to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0siTyztaoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73BZQ2IZVB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDHRdoUmvEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_nt7rHaizg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdinEna_G1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXMyOSHAqd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZiKGba9x8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sj3CIbMaY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgVUZJA17oY

andy107
08-31-2015, 07:08 AM
Hey guys, sorry it's been a long while. I am still working on this jack and have been continuing so for the last 3 years.

I've filed a non-provisional patent and PCT patent with the U.S. Patent office and was approved. Patent pending world wide as well.

Product development is expensive so I have been trying to do most of it myself to save on cost. I am woking with a few folks from my local inventors group to help keep this project moving along and was able to source out a few manufactures and suppliers to produce parts of the jack. I am aiming towards a high quality product but I am flexible with licensing the whole unit to another company as they may produce these more cost effectively than I can.

Currently a second demo unit is being built and will be made public.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. :)

collegekid
09-01-2015, 10:11 AM
okay this looks cool

So is your jack going to be designed to accommodate a flat tire?
Will this be small enough to have in your trunk near your spare tire?

STR8 H8N
09-01-2015, 11:35 AM
i have race ramps

collegekid
09-01-2015, 12:39 PM
I also have race ramps (front and rear 8 inch lift set)

I also have wood

I have a regular jack and I have the spare tire jack.

My race ramps will currently not clear my car because
Specifically, mine at this exact moment in time is too low. There is no engine in the car and it was a test of my front bumper and the front lip.
Everyone else's running car will probably clear it.

Race ramps also cost a lot of money, almost double or even triple of what a jack will cost

I guess he is just offering a jack that uses a different lifting point. I saw a video on youtube about a guy who made something that you drove on and it lifted it from the tire as well. I will link it if I find it

OP has a decent design from what he is saying and he can definitely be competitive with the other jacks out there. As long as op keeps his company small and manageable ( not some huge corporation that needs to sell hundreds of items at huge markup to survive) he should make more than enough money.

Props to you making moves.

You should also think about spare tire jacks

STR8 H8N
09-01-2015, 12:45 PM

I also have wood

Race ramps dont really accommodate really low cars, I know for mine I have to remove the front bumper

I guess he is just offering a jack that uses a different lifting point. I saw a video on youtube about a guy who made something that you drove on and it lifted it from the tire as well. I will link it if I find it

OP has a decent design from what he is saying and he can definitely be competitive with the other jacks out there. As long as op keeps his company small and manageable ( not some huge corporation that needs to sell hundreds of items at huge markup to survive) he should make more than enough money.

when is the last time you visited ther website?

:picardfp::picardfp::picardfp:

andy107
09-01-2015, 10:23 PM

I also have wood

My race ramps will currently not clear my car because
Specifically, mine at this exact moment in time is too low. There is no engine in the car and it was a test of my front bumper and the front lip.
Everyone else's running car will probably clear it.

Race ramps also cost a lot of money, almost double or even triple of what a jack will cost

Good questions, I've posted a few Q/A's above my last post, after interest peaked. Hope this would answer some of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the past week. I walked around and talked to a few local car guys about the jack. Since this is a relatively new way to approach a vehicle when lifting, I had to help guide people's thoughts on how to use the product and really explain the benefits. I guess to invent new things you really have to think outside the box. Away from conventional methods and see opportunity where others may have never thought of. Once you demonstrate your idea on paper or physical form, your ideals and understandings are on the same page with those who see the same values your trying to solve.

Though value to a individual are never linear. My findings include the following:

Q: Why are you building this jack and who are you really targeting? My harbor freight jack works fine the way it sits.

A: I should really think this through, as to what the sole purpose of this jack will provide for its users. The pain point for folks lifting a vehicle can be variable. There are five types of audiences to serve, one of which may be you.

1.) Guys partaking in the Stance Movement or "just having a lowered car".

2.) Guys who are extremely OCD with how they care, work, and handle their vehicles.

3.) Guys with a collection of exotic/classic vehicles and have money to burn.

4.) Guys who are heavily invested into the tools that help them do the job, or the cars they touch.

5.) Guys who are early adapters, "Just likes to buy and play with new products".

Besides the five listed, the "why" in this jack is to help people find a tool that would make working on your vehicle more enjoyable upon being safe, quick, and easy to use. Ever hear people say, "I love to work on cars, but I hate fixing them"? If it can improve or simplify lifting a vehicle, I can guarantee it will be worth giving this jack a second look.

Q: I believe your audience is slim, not everyone cares to spend money on a bunch of tools or throw more money into a car that actually gets used at drift or track days. My harbor freight low profile jack is cheap, easy to use, and portable. How will I benefit or gain from this new type of jack?

A: I see your point. I can not compete with the all too common "low" profile jack that can be extremely cheap at times. But I do believe there are folks who do look towards a floor jack alternative. I used to do a lot of side jobs, and for a few years worked at dealership as a ASE certified service technician. And I'll tell you what. There are frustrating times where I wished I had a tool to do my work fast and efficient. On the job, time is money. At home in my garage, working on my back on hard pavement sucks, having to crouch on the floor trying to lift a vehicle quickly gets real old and discouraging. Even so with lowered vehicles.

But I realized not everyone works on cars like I do. So I made three sub categories besides the list I have above.

1.) Those who rather pay someone else to work on their cars.

2.) Those who are weekend hobbyist and only tinker on their cars once in a blue moon.

3.) Those who heavily work on cars just about every day of the year.

If your not really invested in working on vehicles, and only do so when you have to or want to. This jack may not be appealing as you compare other jacks in the market. But if there is one situation where it is really needed, it can compete against a regular floor jack.

Q: This thing looks big compared to my low profile harbor freight floor jack. Can it be smaller?

A: The Tire Jack is of size because when used. It sits outside next to the vehicle to be lifted, instead of being rolled under the car like a regular floor jack. The lift point is right out in front of the user, you don't have to go looking under the vehicle for the proper jack point. Remember, the Tire Jack is grabbing a big tire, and it needs to be of size to hold on to that wheel. The footprint of where the load gets distributed is important. I am working on getting the right balance of portability and size for both the product and user in mind. This jack will be visually pleasing as it is functional.

Q: How can this product be more portable?

A: The way this jack works, has a mechanical advantage of being functional without use of a big vertical column. The jack sits completely flat on the ground as shown in the pictures. Great to store under your tool box or other small places where it can be out of the way. All of the "arms" on the jack are detachable to further reduce space and increase portability.

Q: How heavy is this jack?

A: It really depends on the materials used. Cheaper materials can be used on the jack such as steel. But steel is 3 times heavier than aluminum. Consumers who are cost conscious, you really do get what you pay for. Expect the weight to be ball parked around 50-100 pounds, but again it depends on the materials used against what people are willing to pay for.

andy107
09-01-2015, 11:35 PM
okay this looks cool

So is your jack going to be designed to accommodate a flat tire?
Will this be small enough to have in your trunk near your spare tire?

It will be small enough for you to throw in your trunk if needed. I can't have it any smaller because the "arms" need to be of length and size to accommodate lifting at the tires. Any smaller and it will not be wide or big enough to "hug" the wheel.

It is shorter, and lighter than using the very popular ATD 2 ton low pro jack pictured below. This thing weighs about 100-120 pounds and yes I do own one of them. Good jack but with it being about 3+ feet long. It's very heavy and bulky to move around.

http://atdtools.com/images/pics/ATD-7325.jpg

The "tire Jack" shorter than driving up on race ramps. Nor do you have to use extensions to drive a very low car on to the ramp itself.

The length of the unit (not including the arms that hold on to the wheels) is about as long as the 1.5 ton low pro harbor freight jack.

As I was designing this jack, I knew I was not the first person to think of the design. After doing some research, I do know why it was not even bothered to be manufactured. Because of its mechanical nature, it is not very piratical to see profit on such a complicated design. Nor is it efficient enough to quickly hand assemble for cheap.

You would almost have to categorize this type of jack away from traditional floor jacks and compare it with other structure types. You guys will be surprised on how simple it is, but simple as it looks. Building it is a bit complex.

Once the jack rolls out, I can show you comparisons of cost for designs similar to what I have. This jack may not be for everyone and I can't compete with prices from China.

I will not build a cheap jack and if its what people want, then I'm sorry to disappoint. If this jack kills somebody when in use, just because i'm cutting corners to save a few bucks, I'll be out of business. This is just too much of a liability and I'll be sued off my @$$.

Though I will try to be far in pricing and be reasonable with other high quality jacks out there. Unless I can find a manufacture I can license to and have these produced lot less than I can make them.

The money I have invested would almost net the same amount of a small home, and I don't anticipate this to make tons of money as most folks believe. I'm only serving an area with a small market and nitch. Typical start up business can't really consider themselves successful after 5 years and wont be making any real money till then either. 95% of start ups fail within a year. Only way to be very successful is to have multiple assets generating income over long periods of time. Having one invention or business very rarely makes you a millionaire over night. The stuff you see and hear on TV are just over glorified and blown out proportion.

But why do it? I believe this product has some good values to it. I would hate to be the guy sitting on the front porch getting old and saying to myself, I could have built that. Because if I don't pursue it. Somebody else will.

i have race ramps

For a long while I loved using the race ramps. Nothing wrong with them at all sir. But thank you for reading my post.

Frank_Jaeger
09-03-2015, 04:54 PM
This is a great idea. I know great ideas aren't enough to make a product real and successful so I wish you the best of luck with this! If these were for sale I would buy one.

andy107
09-05-2015, 04:25 PM
This is a great idea. I know great ideas aren't enough to make a product real and successful so I wish you the best of luck with this! If these were for sale I would buy one.

Thanks Frank_Jaeger, I do appreciate the input!

Everyone's opinion counts as well. I would like to use this thread as consumer suggestion towards a new product. I'll be cold calling and emailing tool manufactures to help produce these more affordability, and they will only take up business if it is worth the time and investment. No one takes it seriously until a product is proven viable. And the best way to do that is to go out and survey the general public.

This year a functioning prototype was built and with it. I have asked about 100 people what they thought of it. The results of the jack came back with a hit or miss. Some folks very much liked it, some thought it was useless.

Unlike most businesses who only boast about how their product is so great. I'm here to say you guys make the decision if this is truly great or truly crappy. Feel free to state your concerns and views.

Two things I've found during a product survey.

Half of the groups found it un-useful as there was no concern with using a regular jack. There was plenty of room under their own vehicles to use what ever lift was available. I did mentioned how this jack could be of great use, but the best and most memorable response was, "Why would I hard park my car to the point where I can't even work on it? Your better off showing this jack to the stance kids."

So that's what I did. And with that crowd, it was like night and day. Of course you don't have to have a "stanced" vehicle to find this jack useful. It's really a personal preference.

I even had someone point out why I am giving the stance guys another reason to lower their vehicles and have it become a epidemic plague. But really, why discriminate? It's not my vehicle, not my money and none of my business. I am a fan of clean builds. I'm also a product person, attention to detail will get noticed and that's what I love, no matter the application.

Another question I forgot to answer was, how can I use this jack with a flat tire?

If the tire has a very slow leak, fill the tire with air and use the jack accordingly. DO NOT leave the jack on the leaking tire for long. Place safety stands on the vehicle and remove the jack. Service the tire properly. Lifting the tire without air will pinch the laminate lining of the tire and cause severe damage. I would rather not use this method.

But if you do have a dead flat tire with a huge leak. For example the left-front tire is leaking, lift the vehicle using the left-rear tire. Provided that your on coil-overs and have a stiff chassis, as you jack the car up. That whole side of the vehicle should come up as well. If you need more height, use a regular floor jack to assist the vehicle being lifted. This also will help stabilize the car. Don't forget to use safety/jack stands.

Someone also mentioned if your on bags and one of your air lines popped or your air bags got ripped and can't possibly get the car lifted. The "tire jack' may come in handy during this kind of situation.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this thread. Have a great weekend.

andy107
11-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Just another long over due update.

Upon making this 5th prototype, it took me a while to source custom parts and wait for them to arrive from a suppler. When I drew the CAD model I forgot to account for some clearance for inter fitting parts. It wasn't too bad but the tolerance was too close and I had to rework over half the parts on a Bridgeport and lathe by hand. I also hand polished and painted the parts as I went over my budget on this build.

It looks expensive and not at all practical. But I wanted to make a good first impression and show the type of quality it can be. I can skimp on the fancy looks and have it be bare minimum.

The jack pictured below. It is just a demo unit. There is more work and a few changes to be made to reduce weight and some cost. I do need to add a "jack handle" and the type will be called semi-live handle with built in pivot wheel, it can be removed when not in use. It is pictured on the last image below.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/IMG_3463_edit2.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/IMG_3463_edit2.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/IMG_3463_edit.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/IMG_3463_edit.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/IMG_3463_edit3.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/IMG_3463_edit3.jpg.html)http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/JointerSemiLiveSkidDesignMedium.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/JointerSemiLiveSkidDesignMedium.jpg.html)

NOTE: Patented and Trademarked by the USPTO, following PCT among other countries outside the U.S.

BoredEE
11-30-2015, 06:40 PM
I would rather buy gojacks.

http://www.americastoolwarehouse.com/automotive-tools/product/UNI-5000.html?gclid=CIWV5tjDuckCFQ2OaQodEWUAng

It wont raise the car too high, but should be high enough to get a jack under it, especially if you use 2. You also get the added benefit of moving a car around if you buy 4.

But for now I'm just using ramps made from wood.

theStig880
11-30-2015, 10:49 PM
This actually looks like a pretty cool idea. If it is on par budget wise with other low pro jacks and could handle wider wheels like 9.5-12" Id look at it pretty heavily.

andy107
12-02-2015, 09:20 PM
I would rather buy gojacks.

http://www.americastoolwarehouse.com/automotive-tools/product/UNI-5000.html?gclid=CIWV5tjDuckCFQ2OaQodEWUAng

It wont raise the car too high, but should be high enough to get a jack under it, especially if you use 2. You also get the added benefit of moving a car around if you buy 4.

But for now I'm just using ramps made from wood.

Back during the time I was taking auto motive classes in high school. I found myself using the Go-Jacks to slightly raise the vehicle when setting the arms on the 2 post hoist. My teacher wont let us drive the cars up on 2x4's due to the concern that the wood would shoot out from under the tires and shatter somebody's legs or face. Is it likely? Not really, but I guess it's enough of a worry that the shop banned them.

The only problem I have with using the Go-Jacks is, sometimes I wished they went higher. The Go-Jacks is what sparked the idea, it just took me years to figure how I would make it better. Lifting the car by its wheel just made more sense to me.

Go jacks could cost around $300-$400 dollars including shipping, just for one pair. Buy all 4 and it could easily be double that. Unfortunately, paying $300-$400 dollars on two go-jacks, to lift up a car maybe 2-3 inches is not really value worthy. I would like to do better than that.

I would agree that wood ramps are cheap and easy to use. Great bang for buck on something that could be free. Not a problem for semi-low cars. But 2x4's may not be enough if your stupid low. I do appreciate your feedback!

Check out the video below. I promise you its quite amusing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0siTyztaoo

This actually looks like a pretty cool idea. If it is on par budget wise with other low pro jacks and could handle wider wheels like 9.5-12" Id look at it pretty heavily.

Thanks!

Not sure if I can make this a budget jack at the moment, unless I invest more time and money into R&D and figure out another structural design.

It is hard to beat the price of a low pro harbor freight jack when it's actually in a whole different category. In the picture below this is a typical single post wheel hoist with a vertical column. Depending on what brand and the type of load capacity its rated for, it could weigh between 300-600 lbs and cost between $1500-$4500 dollars. I don't plan on having it cost that much. But I can't build it for $60 dollars either.

As for the wheel width, I have the arms set around 10.5 inches measured from the gusset of the "J-arm" to the end of the fork. I would like to extend the fork but I will do a real world test to see how the jack will handle wide tires. I just have to find someone local with a set on a car and keep ya updated.

Thank you for your feedback!!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/Torin%20Car%20Lift.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/Torin%20Car%20Lift.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/two_men_working_hydraulic_big.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/two_men_working_hydraulic_big.jpg.html)

Almighty So
12-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Looks like @evasivemotorsports just debuted their small version of this. Looks nice.
Check their Instagram for pics and vids.

andy107
12-10-2015, 03:55 PM
I anticipated for there to be competitors in the market but that was fast. Evasive Motor Sports/Voltex would have more working capital to make things happen rather quickly, where I'm only funded though my 9-5 job. It would have been nice for me to finish sooner so I can have a better feel for the product but, i'll just continue to do the best I can.

Looks like they did a good job with their version. A few folks are turned off with the $750 dollar price tag along with the $100-$150 dollar shipping, but actually the price is reasonable.

There is a lot of labor that went into their jack. Welding, cutting parts to size and setting up all the pieces to weld + hand assembly. I don't really think you can expect to make 100 pieces in one hour hand welding every jack, unless you have a hand full of people in an assembly line to help reduce per piece cost. Not only that, they need to make profit as well.

During my early designs of the "tire jack", I was shown drawings from product developers of something similar to Evasive's version of the jack. I moved away from using a vertical column as I didn't like how it stood close to the body of the vehicle.

It's not a big deal, but I made the decision after going to a local classic car show and seeing low ride cars with their wheels "sunk" deep into the fenders and "protruding hub caps" or vintage British race cars with the big "single lug hubs". Like the ones pictured below. Again, this may not be a deal breaker for most folks, but I wanted to build a jack that was compatible with most applications as possible and front forks that adjust to various wheel sizes. Vintage, Classic, Exotic, Low Rider, what ever, buy one tool and it should work with all of them.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/low%20rider_1.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/low%20rider_1.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/vintage_1.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/vintage_1.jpg.html)
http://www.neublack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/vintage-car-designs-03.jpg

I was suggested that the "flat table top" on the jack can be used for various lifting such as motorcycles and ATV's. You can also leave it under the tire and use it as a "step stool" once your car is raised up in the air, if there is a need to better reach the engine compartment during oil changes, etc.

Evasive's Hydraulic Jack almost hits my planned target price point on this jack. Just without all of the billet aluminum legs, as those will be replaced with formed sheet metal. Less flashy and more industrial for practicality.

Another competitor pictured below who is now long gone, has a unique design and was priced at $100 dollars. It was a tough sell and most folks disapproved the small contact pad area on the bottom of the lift and "jack pad" that leans against the very top of the wheel or tire, with it being extremely close to the fender. Not for vehicles with aggressive camber or those who don't want to damage expensive wheels.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/3564654618_63b27a97c7.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/3564654618_63b27a97c7.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/image_7072.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/image_7072.jpg.html)

andy107
12-14-2015, 10:12 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/12230936_1707793699440379_1633063880_n.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/12230936_1707793699440379_1633063880_n.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/IMG_1904.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/IMG_1904.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/IMG_1902.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/IMG_1902.jpg.html)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/andy_107/IMG_1907.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/andy_107/media/IMG_1907.jpg.html)