PDA

View Full Version : Tools

driftracer
08-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Hey Guys,

Although this does not have anything to do directly with a 240SX, they will be beneficial into fixing it up. I am looking to purchase a complete set of mechanics tools...rachets, sockets, air compressor and air tools, etc. While I am not too concerned about what hand tools to get, I am more interested in what kind of air compressor and how big it should be. I do not feel like going out and spending 6-800.00 for a 80 lb air tank, but if thats what I need to do things to my car, then I will. I am assuming the tank size really has nothing to do with working on the car as much as the Max PSI. So what kinda of PSI would I be working with. This will be my first set of tools, however not the first time using them. Just thought I'd ask. :)

pr240sx
08-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Just to let you know
I have a 4 gallon compressor, Doesnt work well in auto repair UNLESS you are painting something small.
For ratchets, grinders and any other tool that requires a constant suypply of air I highly recommend the biggest compressor (capacity) that you can afford

usctom
08-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Id go with a big a tank that you can afford. I have a 20 gal and it gets used up real quick. The bigger you go the longer you can use your tools. Another facter is the that most larger tanks 60 and up are 220 and not 110 volt. Most of my tools that I use I set the psi to about a 100. Much higher then that isnt really good for air tools. So max psi isnt a huge factor.

driftracer
08-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Craftsman 30 gal. Air Compressor, 6 hp, Vertical Tank, Oil Free Pump. Theres also a 33 gallon horizontal one. Both are going for 269.00. Now I think that's decent. Do you think I should go a little bigger like 50-60, or would that suffice? If I have to wait a minute or two to let the tank refill, that's fine, as this is time I'd be spending trying to get the first lug nut off the first wheel by hand? :p

SauN
08-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Craftsman 30 gal. Air Compressor, 6 hp, Vertical Tank, Oil Free Pump. Theres also a 33 gallon horizontal one. Both are going for 269.00. Now I think that's decent. Do you think I should go a little bigger like 50-60, or would that suffice? If I have to wait a minute or two to let the tank refill, that's fine, as this is time I'd be spending trying to get the first lug nut off the first wheel by hand? :p

i have the crafstmen 30 gal. 6hp one and it's awesome. I think i got it for 299 with all the tools to get started working on a car. My only complaint is that it is really big. When i saw it on display, it doesn't look as bad since they place the tank next to bigger tanks. Also, the compressor is very loud. Not an ideal compressor if you have shitty neighbors. The air tools that it came with are all broken though. I'll have to make a trip back to sears to exchange :angel:

Usually, i take the time for the air to compress when I'm jacking up my car. By that time, it has already built up enough pressure for you to take lugs off. But in all reality, a 30 gal. tank is more than enough for the average at-home mechanic.

-=S14=-
08-12-2004, 01:27 PM
i have the crafstmen 30 gal. 6hp one and it's awesome. I think i got it for 299 with all the tools to get started working on a car. My only complaint is that it is really big. When i saw it on display, it doesn't look as bad since they place the tank next to bigger tanks. Also, the compressor is very loud. Not an ideal compressor if you have shitty neighbors. The air tools that it came with are all broken though. I'll have to make a trip back to sears to exchange :angel:

Usually, i take the time for the air to compress when I'm jacking up my car. By that time, it has already built up enough pressure for you to take lugs off. But in all reality, a 30 gal. tank is more than enough for the average at-home mechanic.

I have the same tools as you and I just wonder what the hell you did to break them? I have been using them plenty and they hold up great. Did you forget to oil them?

Ryan

SauN
08-12-2004, 01:33 PM
I have the same tools as you and I just wonder what the hell you did to break them? I have been using them plenty and they hold up great. Did you forget to oil them?

Ryan

I oiled them once in a while, albeit not everyday though. That may have contributed for it breaking down so early.

Sorry, i failed to realize that this post was in the for sale forum. I'm not selling my tank, but good luck finding one. Bump for you...

SirWarrior
08-12-2004, 02:15 PM
I stole mine from my bro's shop when he got a bigger one.
I dont know the capacity, but its HUGE. Im 6'2" and this thing is as tall as me :D
OH YEA!!!!

driftracer
08-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Hehe, thanks for all the input guys...sorry about posting it in the wrong section. I didn't realize till just now. Anyhow, I was at sears and had my eyes on the 15 gallon and the 30 gallon. The 30 gallon is on sale for 269.00, so I guess thats a deal to jump on.

theicecreamdan
08-14-2004, 06:06 PM
I have the 33gal one from sears, its just about right for what I do, when I'm running my air cut-off tool for extended periods of time the 6hp compressor keeps up with the loss from the tool,

other things I might need to let it build up some pressure every once in a while, but its not too slow.

element240
08-14-2004, 06:21 PM
look at the cfm ratings..

i have a 26 gallon, 5hp husky air compressor and it's only running 5.8 cfm at 40 psi.... its decent for auto repair work , but doesn't work well for painting cars. don't forget to drain the air compressor everyday also, i fuckin hate the water/oil or whatever creamy shit it is that comes out of my lines.

so i bought a filter, but the stuff stiill gets through :mad:

Phlip
08-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Just whatever you do, avoid this tool pictured here:

http://gwendolynn.portentinteractive.com/vtec/slipangle/asianboyz1.gif
http://gwendolynn.portentinteractive.com/vtec/slipangle/asianboyz2.gif

mjjstang
08-14-2004, 07:51 PM
^HAHAH Yah I got that 33 gallon vertical one, the free tools suck but they work alright for the simple jobs that i do, Took a while to get the flywheel bolts off but it worked eventually, then I got a 243 piece craftsman mechanics tool set, and an engine lift. havent really needed anytyhing else yet, but yah theres better tools but hey all that matters is that if you break it you get a new one FREE.