PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

KrispyGorillaz
04-26-2015, 09:18 AM
So I have a 1995 240sx ka24de Se and this month has been really annoying for me, here's what's going on:
One day I was driving back to the gym at night around 8 and I turned on my car normally, once it ran I turn on my headlights obviously but once I did so the headlight flickered then shorted out and would not turn back on unless I turn the car back on again. At first I thought it was weird and a fluke, then I started happening every single time. More into the problem, later on when I did the same thing every thing electrical would short out ( radio, gauges, tacho, cabin light, headlights etc.). It even happened when I was driving and it would randomly shut everything down, It was only once that my car just died.

So, I got ridiculously tired of having the problem and checked to see if it was a ground not connected ( battery neg ground, alternator ground ) and everything is fine. Now I have a Double din deck with some pioneer speakers, and It was only a couple of months after installing them, this problem occurred. So my thinking was " Okay maybe it's now drawing too much power". Well then I hit the gun and replaced the alternator cause I took it down and they told me the Voltage regulator failed. I went with the Quest alternator and just finished yesterday (20 years of gunk all over the alternator is not fun, the owners didn't really tlc the car). Drove it around and everything was good during the day. BUT, came night time after having a good time, that good time went to an end when I turned on the car. Very similar problem, Turned on the car, turned on headlight while in Drive (automatic) then boom, headlights dimmed again, electrical flickered for a brief second but nothing reset.

This whole problem I've noticed only happens at NIGHT, never in the day have I seen the problem

So I am now here asking for some insight what would be the cause please help.

Tl;dr
Car is shorting out all electricals (radio, gauges, headlights, tail lights, cabin lights)when I turn on the headlights on Drive( automatic ), only happens at night, replaced alternator with Quest 115 amp alternator. Don't know what fuse it could be or even ground, or if my car just hates me. :facepalm:

OnTheChip
04-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Check the harness in the wheel well above the left front tire. The tire may have rubbed and damaged some wires.

cotbu
04-28-2015, 03:19 AM
Sound like it would be related to the headlights, and or their wiring since the only thing that really changes from dsy driving to inight driving would be the headlights are on.

Test this by driving during the day with the headlights on, then go from there.
Unless you slammed an auto or ran stupid size wheels for whatever reason.

From a Highly Tuned Note 4.5!!!