PDA

View Full Version : Advice if you ever purchased private sale vehicle by delivery

sil se
08-03-2004, 12:29 PM
You advice would be appreciated if you have purchased a private sale vehicle and had to have it delivered.
I'm looking to do the same and am trying to think of the best way to transfer money safely and also how to get a good representation of the condition of the car.
The fella on the other side is saying I can get 3 days to inspect the car upon delivery and he won't get money until then. He also suggests using SQUARE TRADE (www.squaretrade.com) which I am not familiar with at all, saying it can help set up the shipping and other things. I check the site out and it seems like only dispute resolution and a way to verify a seller.

Any insight is appreciated !
Thanks

aznpoopy
08-03-2004, 12:36 PM
imo it's rarely ever worth it. the only way to buy a car long distance is to physically drive or fly over there to inspect it before you buy it. there are some services that provide for a 'safe transaction' but you never know what you are getting or who you are buying it from.

sil se
08-03-2004, 01:54 PM
right, that's why it would be nice to get it over here first and check it out. He says it will be delivered and he won't receive money until I can check it. Sounds too good to be true?

aznpoopy
08-03-2004, 03:02 PM
when you say that, i assume you mean going through square trade? you need to find out about squaretrade. search around on other forums or google it. if alot of ppl are getting ripped off, you have your answer. if not, then maybe its a great new way to pay for stuff over the net. at any rate, definitely look through the fine print for whatever you end up agreeing to.

if you mean by pure prviate transaction, it sounds alot like BS. no way someone will ship a car to you and expect money after the fact.

i have to reiterate the fact that i wouldn't do it. it's shady enough trying to buy a car from another person/dealer in the same state. when you're dealing with longer distances then that your chance of getting screwed grows exponentially.

sil se
08-03-2004, 05:57 PM
youre so right about your last paragraph.
well i guess it wouldnt be "pure private transaction" since there would be this SQUARETRADE involved..

i just spoke to him he says he moves the car into their garage, i send money to square trade, they confirm it and ship the vehicle. then he gets the money after i inspect it. yeah i will have to look into squuare trade more espeically if they hold money..

anyone know anything about SQUARETRADE? please advise