PDA

View Full Version : broken crank pos. sensor

RBS14
07-30-2004, 09:08 AM
the guy who installed my clutch and flywheel for me accidentally broke it while lowering the tranny. I would have assumed that not having it in would have adversely affect the car's performance... but it hasn't. It threw a CEL though. It just makes me wonder because it hasn't affected performance but seems like it would be quite important. It could aslo be messing with the engine and I can't tell. maybe the engine relys on the camshaft angle sensor if the crank angle sensor isn't working or something. MY 2 questions are:

Is it mandatory/suggested that I replace it?

will it even work with my new flywheel? (does it count ring gear teeth or does it work off of a magnet on the flywheel?)

Only reason I ask is that I couldn't find a conclusive answer while searching.

thanks in advance

papershot
07-30-2004, 11:04 AM
wasn't there a post like this a while back...i don't remember

the crankshaft position sensor doesn't control anything, it just monitors. it'd work with any flywheel.

the wires leading to my crankshaft position sensor are broken, nothing besides a CEL. probably suggested to be replaced if you're having any problems though.

orion::S14
07-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Crankshaft postiont sensor is an OBD thing, and is only used to help detect misfire cylinder location...

Not used for tuning or performance...the ECU relies on the wheel in the distributor for that.

Mine's been shot for years, no issue other than the occasional CEL. I broke it in the same way...being careless, going too fast when dropping the tranny.

- Brian

RBS14
07-30-2004, 11:14 PM
thank you gentlemen! I'll just save the code.