PDA

View Full Version : s13 kat sputtering under 50%wot and constant smoke

got_drift?
01-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Hey guys first off i tried the search option but on my phone when i click search and click to type in box it instantly closes.

I just bought this car. Sold my sc300 never had this problem with a car
I know its rs enth tuned and there are no oil leaks. (No oil in turbo either) Car has no wideband yet but i believe its running lean. Its idling high and sputters (misfire sounding) under boost or 50 percentish throttle. Only thing i can think at the moment is the dude had no filter over the maf and the maf is at the end of the intake just open. So dirty maf is the idea i got. However if you guys think of anything else or have had this issue i appreciate input.

ultimateirving
01-26-2015, 09:29 AM
You want a filter in front of the maf, it may just help. Also you need to boost leak test the whole system. Since you just bought this car, and may not have experience with boost that's one thing you need to eliminate.

got_drift?
01-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks man. Sorry to not clarify im not new to boost just new to s chassis. My sc300 was 2jznat. Theres no boost leak i checked. I had a speed density engine before this so i was juat making sure the maf idea was a plausible thought.

bmaddock
01-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Could be a lot of things, I would start simple first.

Check spark plug wires
Check spark plugs
Check spark plug gap
Check cap and rotor
Check for boost leaks

As long as the MAF isn't too close to the compressor it should be fine...but yes a filter should be placed on it. Post some pictures, do some basic investigation and come back to us.

Edit: Just saw you already checked for leaks. How did you check for leaks though? I don't know how experienced you really are with fixing turbo cars but boost leaks can be tricky.

got_drift?
01-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Just with a spray bottle while running. I can go make the tool to do it better i guess. But i havent romped on it and it didnt run this way before is all. The maff is maybe only a foot and a half from the compressor

File attached of pic

livelovesole
01-27-2015, 02:14 AM
I had a similar problem awhile back kinda like this. Ended up being my spark plugs were shot. Try by eliminating the easier tasks first. I never truely trust how a previous owner says they treated their car so a full tune up would't be bad either at this time.

Croustibat
01-27-2015, 08:06 AM
It can be bazillions of things, from a faulty maf / not the correct maf for the tune / maf too close to the turbo, it could be a lack of fueling but again you need a wideband and not just a hint to check that.

Anyway it looks like a boost leak. The spray method is no good, the only way to go is to put the system under pressure and see what's what.

It could also be a breather system wide that puts the intake to open air, a leaky dump and so on.

angel mkiv
01-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Everytime you buy a new car to you and it's modded do a full time up! You don't know when it was last done or if it was done right and most likely will fix your issue..I'd do cap/rotor, plugs and wires,buy a air filter and a bottle of maf cleaner.then after that check the basics like timing and fuel pressure,and obiously look for any boost leaks/vac leaks

kruked
01-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Check your tps

quick_240
03-13-2015, 02:40 PM
If your car has coil packs check those had similar issue few weeks ago and one of my pencil coils was shot.