PDA

View Full Version : Torn inner CV boot. Where to buy them?

JSimpson
01-24-2015, 11:58 PM
I've searched on here and googled the hell out of this and cannot find an answer. I also have driven to AutoZone, Advance, and O'reilly and they are of zero assistance as usual. So I got a new S13 and one of the inner CV boots is torn with grease pouring out. Took the axle apart and it was full of grease and tripod was perfect and whatnot... so I think the boot just rotted from sitting and tore as I pushed the car into the trailer when I bought it (no diff, axles flopped for 15 feet)...

I would LOVE to simply replace the inner boot or both boots and be done with it, because the axle is otherwise in great shape. However I CANNOT seem to find anyone who sells them except for Megan which is $130 for all 4 boots, and hell with that, at that point its better just to get AutoZone re-mans... NO I have not called the Nissan dealership yet as I dug into the axles this evening and obviously they are closed on Sundays, so looking for some other ideas.

Looking to keep this on the cheap as I got this S13 as a commuter and not looking to beat on it or anything like that. Just a means to keep me in an S chassis while I wait for nice days to bring out the S14.

Seeking advice from any other Zilvians who have ran into this issue and have a solution?

Please keep this thread informative and on point so someone else down the road can reference it instead of the typical useless "will auto zone axles hold up to 638ft/lbs of tq from my KA24E that will be turbo'd once I move out of my parents basement" crap.

Thanks guys, seeking advice!

e1_griego
01-25-2015, 12:08 AM
Rockauto lists a bunch of different CV boot kits. Lots show as universal for inner/outer, but that's a good place to start.

JSimpson
01-25-2015, 12:21 AM
Rockauto lists a bunch of different CV boot kits. Lots show as universal for inner/outer, but that's a good place to start.

Thank you! As you know the standard USDM "3 pairs of 2" style 6 bolt companion flanges have a weirdo shape of boot on the inside. All of the "universal" boots I have come across are round on the inside and don't have the 3 little rubber flat spots filled in to fit the "3 pairs of 2" shape of inner tripod housing (if you are familiar with the inner tripod boots I'm sure you know what I'm talking about).

mad-ass
01-25-2015, 12:30 AM
I've never had problem after I did the replacement from Dorman 614-001. yes I know about the slots you are talking about..but they don't leak or anything.

if you are really worried about it, buy it from the dealer. other wise Dorman will work just fine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-614-001/overview/make/nissan