PDA

View Full Version : FRAUD: ***URGENT eBay Account Security Measures***

TurDz
07-27-2004, 06:53 AM
I received this e-mail this morning:

Subject: ***URGENT eBay Account Security Measures***

Alert ID : 0262341143

You have received this email because you or someone had used your account to make fake bids on eBay. For security purposes, we are required to open an investigation into this matter. To help speed up this process, you are required to verify your eBay account by following the link below.

http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay&user=02626454

Please save this fraud alert id for your reference
Please Note - If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume this account is fraudulent and will be cancelled. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used to combat fraud.

We appreciate your support and understating, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc.

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification message.

Copyright 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. is located at Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125

------

WATCH OUT! I was really lucky and had suspicion before I did anything. It was funny because I wasn't signed in automatically when I click the link above. I also noticed that even though they claimed the page was secure using SSL, there was no padlock symbol on my browser. I doubled checked this by signing into my eBay manually, and it did have a lock symbol.

One simple yahoo search of " ***URGENT eBay Account Security Measures***" and I got this page:

http://fraudwatchinternational.com/fraud_alerts/040601_426_ebay.htm

be careful!!

mjjstang
07-27-2004, 12:03 PM
shit i just got that and made a thread, im retarded, should have read down, but yah it was weird cause it was from an ebay email address.

..........support and understating............ they cant even spell right either. haha.

OptionZero
07-27-2004, 01:29 PM
happened to me before chris. The guy sold a shit load of stolen VCRs and crap, i didn't get all the details, but on my sell page it had all these electronics I had NEVER seen or put on ebay before. Luckily they found the guy, restored my acount, i changed my password and its never been a problem.

It's wierd because i've never logged onto ebay anywhere but my own computer.

mjjstang
07-27-2004, 01:31 PM
yes but even then, ebay will never ask for your password or any other shit, so if someone does, then it is not ebay,

TurDz
07-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Well the thing is, this isn't really a legitimate e-mail about someone taking over your account. It's a fake. It's claiming somoene has been using your account, so you need to verify your "info" such as SSN#, CC#, etc. think about it though....if someone really was using your account, why would you have to retype your payment info again? there's really no point.

here is the message i posted on my aim profile:

do not click the link and sign in. it is a phish-type spam e-mail. they ask you to fill in your ssn# and credit card# for "verification." what ends up happening is the info routes to the spammer. i almost got caught doing this until i double checked and compared the page to the real ebay page. they look slightly different, and besides, there is no security lock symbol, meaning its really not a secure page. this has been said to happen for paypal also...so just watch out.

mk20116
07-27-2004, 07:06 PM
if you look at the address at the top you know it's fake.

anyways, i got those phishing(?) emails quite often now.

Ghettokracker71
07-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

TurDz
07-27-2004, 08:22 PM
if you look at the address at the top you know it's fake.

anyways, i got those phishing(?) emails quite often now.

what address? Because it EXACTLY resembles the aw-confirm email address of the real thing. I compared them and couldn't see a difference.

TokyoNights
07-27-2004, 09:14 PM
I got one of these also..

sykikchimp
07-28-2004, 08:18 AM
The email address you see can be spoofed quite easily. The actual senders email address is only available in the mime header of the email, and most mail programs don't even allow you to see that.

Part of my job is controlling spam on our corporate network.

TurDz
07-28-2004, 06:53 PM
that's very informative. I think the only e-mail client that lets me see the excess mime stuff is my college UC Davis one.

Maverick7687
07-28-2004, 07:04 PM
I am not even sure which one of my e-mail addresses is registered wth ebay anyway..lol..so i cant check it..

DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
07-28-2004, 09:52 PM
not that long ago this was on the news on FOX 11 here in los angeles. an ebay rep stated that if such a thing would occur, they would email you a similar letter but with your full name on it. i guess some of the fake emails start with "dear sir/maam". so be on the lookout for those as well. and if you do get an email you should contact ebay or paypal just to verify. i believe they reply within 24hrs.

Pepperoni
07-29-2004, 09:32 AM
I think I posted a while back about a similar email I got

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=53432