PDA

View Full Version : Car electrical problems. Need help

ReEducation
01-09-2015, 09:59 PM
I upgraded the battery from a 450cca to a 880cca to accommodate my stereo. The alternator was also upgraded to a 140amp high output from ace alternators. Starter is new as well. Power and ground wires are original. Today was my first drive since everything was installed, and out of nowhere on the highway, the blower motor started blowing way harder than normal followed by the wipers going crazy fast, the cluster needles started bouncing around, the interior lights got a lot brighter than normal and it died followed by a small plume of smoke from the dash. With it being below zero I only looked into it for a short while but I saw no signs of heat damage at the alternator, battery or ground wire. Then took the battery to be tested and it came back 925cca and 13.01V. Then I checked the ecu and it was fried. About 5 wires from the ecu harness also had signs of extreme heat. I have no idea what to check next. Faulty alt? Insufficient power wire or alt ground? Sorry for the novel but I need help really bad and figured every detail helps.

Felipe
01-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Wrong section

Check your alternator. Might putting out too much for your oem ecu.