PDA

View Full Version : Forum Spam Bots

ixfxi
12-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Whats the reason for all of this. Each day it seems like we have more and more threads being created. I'm a bit at a loss here. Why not just make this place referral only, or make the new users have a trial period where they can only post in the new user introduction area before their accounts get validated.

It doesnt make sense. It takes so much time for the mods to clean up all these fake posts. Am I missing something here?

spooled240
12-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Maybe having one additional captcha would help prevent these bots getting through the first one. I know Google offers a free captcha service called "recaptcha" that works pretty well.

TheRealSy90
12-23-2014, 11:26 AM
I've been wondering the same, not that I mind reporting all the posts from the spambots, but it gets out of hand sometimes.

I don't understand why CAPTCHA isn't implemented per post, I thought that was the one thing bots couldn't get around, and it only takes an extra second.

angel mkiv
12-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Yeah it's seriously getting out of hand!especially towards the night

ixfxi
12-24-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't understand why CAPTCHA isn't implemented per post, I thought that was the one thing bots couldn't get around, and it only takes an extra second.

You're going about it all wrong though. Why should every new post require captcha... makes no sense.

Well, hopefully the admin can figure out a solution because its adding so much clutter, its degrading the quality of the forum. Legitimate new users as well. Theres nothing wrong with new users, but they should go through a trial period before being able to join in on discussions. New users constantly create new threads asking stupid questions that have either already been posted, or they ask questions that should be posted in the "quick question" thread.

How many "what do you think my car is worth?" threads do we need?