PDA

View Full Version : S14 zenki exhaust questions

sunrat
12-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Hey,

So, I'm in the process of wanting to completely take out my factory exhaust setup and buy an aftermarket one instead. The only reason I'm doing this is because the exhaust I have now is starting to rust pretty bad.

Where it shows number 9 and 10 is where it's starting to break off and makes a bad rattling noise when I'm in gear.

I'm looking at this setup

But the problem I see is that there is no pipe going from the headers to the catalytic converter. So, if you looked at the first picture it would be number 4 that I'm worried about. Am I missing something? I don't want to use that same secondary pipe.

Anyway, how many cat converters are there on the zenki? Just one? Also, would I need to buy heat shields for this setup,especially on the header so it doesn't melt the master brake cylinder?

Also, do I have to worry about clearance? I have s tech springs with agx.

Help! And thanks!

OBEEWON
12-04-2014, 08:18 AM
The problem with that setup is that it coupled with your STec setup may give you unwanted vibration with that setup.

My skyline has a replicated OEM exhaust setup. But the setup is a bit different in that it was made .5 inches larger in diameter. But that setup with my stock strut and spring set up lets me not feel crazy vibrations or scrape over speed bumps.

The catalytic converter setup doesnt matter. Run open headers like My Skyline does, to a straight pipe setup.

sunrat
12-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Well, I want to keep it a full exhaust like it is now. I'm just worried about the pipe after the exhaust manifold. Or, if I buy an obx where it looks like it has that second pipe built into the exhaust manifold.

S14DB
12-04-2014, 04:09 PM
#4 is the real cat. Goes from 1-5.
#5 is a fake cat where the real cat is on SR20's and S13's.
#9+10 are heat shield.

If you want to keep the cat. Just have the section that is rusting replaced at a exhaust shop.
Replacing the whole OEM cat assembly can be expensive.

Replacing #1+4 with a header eliminates the OEM cat. While not federally legal, you can get an S13 style cat to replace the fake cat at #5 and still help the environment. May not pass sniffer as not as close coupled as the stock cat.

Kingtal0n
12-04-2014, 04:49 PM
fwiw,

stock exhaust on your car is identical the stock exhaust on a nissan silvia from japan. So yes, an sr20det produces 250~ RWHP through that original exhaust, and if you are not producing more than that... there is not much if any reason to upgrade.

sunrat
12-04-2014, 05:04 PM
I was just more concerned about rust and the heat shields coming off with my current exhaust that's why I wanted to just get a whole new set. However, I got confused because what I was looking at wasn't a direct replacement.

Meanwhile, I have metal clamps holding these rusted shields on as best as they can lol.

sunrat
12-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Can I just use those exhaust wraps?

Yes no?

sunrat
12-04-2014, 05:28 PM
So,

Number 4 is the catalytic converter
Number 5 is some sort of resonator?
Number 6 is some resonator as well?

I really don't need 9,10,11 and 12, correct? Only shield I would need is number 3?

If that's the case I'll just rip off those rusted shields and just put on exhaust wraps.

S14DB
12-04-2014, 05:40 PM
So,

Number 4 is the catalytic converter
Number 5 is some sort of resonator?
Number 6 is some resonator as well?

I really don't need 9,10,11 and 12, correct? Only shield I would need is number 3?

If that's the case I'll just rip off those rusted shields and just put on exhaust wraps.

5 is hollow, 6 is the resonator.

Aftermarket exhausts don't have the shields. So, I think you'll be fine.

sunrat
12-04-2014, 05:42 PM
5 is hollow, 6 is the resonator.

Aftermarket exhausts don't have the shields. So, I think you'll be fine.

Ah ok. Thank you!

sunrat
12-04-2014, 06:40 PM
http://www.mileoneparts.com/parts/1996/Nissan/240SX/SE?siteid=214336&vehicleid=93254&diagram=3795260

On this page it shows that number 5 is the converter. It makes sense for 5 to be a converter because number 1+4 can be combined from say, obx (they make a header that looks like it is combining 1+4) and thus you would still be able to have a cat converter at number 5.

Sorry for bringing this back up, I am just trying to make sense of it all.

S14DB
12-04-2014, 09:24 PM
http://www.mileoneparts.com/parts/1996/Nissan/240SX/SE?siteid=214336&vehicleid=93254&diagram=3795260

On this page it shows that number 5 is the converter. It makes sense for 5 to be a converter because number 1+4 can be combined from say, obx (they make a header that looks like it is combining 1+4) and thus you would still be able to have a cat converter at number 5.

Sorry for bringing this back up, I am just trying to make sense of it all.
On a S13 this is true. On the USDM S14 they changed the exhaust manifold and put a close coupled cat in the down pipe. This is why #4 has the big box on it by the manifold.

#5 is a hollow shell of a cat. It was easier to just make empty shells than another short pipe. Tap on it with a hammer, you will hear it's hollow.
http://i.imgur.com/Pc0eG5K.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/Kc4skr7.jpg?1

If #4 isn't rusted and only 9+10 are then just toss 9+10.

sunrat
12-04-2014, 09:27 PM
On a S13 this is true. On the USDM S14 they changed the exhaust manifold and put a close coupled cat in the down pipe. This is why #4 has the big box on it by the manifold.

#5 is a hollow shell of a cat. It was easier to just make empty shells than another short pipe. Tap on it with a hammer, you will hear it's hollow.

If #4 isn't rusted and only 9+10 are then just toss 9+10.

Thanks for the info!