PDA

View Full Version : Won't start and ground wire smokes

nomad5770
11-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Hello all, I'm semi new to 240s. This is my first one but I have worked on a few with my friends.

I rebuilt a KA24DE to put into my car, went to fire it up for the first time yesterday but it wouldn't. The starter clicks once or twice and when the engine tries to turn over the ground from the head to the firewall gets really hot and starts smoking. I have read from other forums that it could be something with the ground to the battery loose so I am going to check later but any other tips would be handy.

Also, what is that ground wire for? It has a clip on one side and ring on the other and flat.

bmaddock
11-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Shit, deleted my post on accident. You have an electrical short (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_circuit). You likely have a poor battery ground cable connection. I would replace the wire as it is likely old, corroded, and worn. Make sure the contact surfaces are clean, exposed metal.

nomad5770
11-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks maddock, I kind of figured that was it but wanted some Nissan guys to make sure. The ground wire for my 240 is short because I have to pull fairly hard to get it onto the battery post. So need a longer one anyways lol

nomad5770
11-24-2014, 03:29 PM
That was my issue, ground wire had a cut in it. It's cranking but still won't start, I'm guessing fuel pump as I'm not hearing it kick on. But I live in a noisy area with heavy traffic so I may just not be able to hear it.

bmaddock
11-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Multimeter is your friend haha. Make sure the fuel pump is getting a signal.

Once you get the car running it might be worth "hotwiring" your fuel pump if youre turboing it.
http://www.ka-t.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=59949

nomad5770
11-24-2014, 05:09 PM
It may be the distributor timing, I forgot when I put it on that I didn't have the old motor at top dead center and I didn't mess with the distributor any. So I'll be checking that and the wiring.

I won't be turboing this motor, I am rebuilding the motor I pulled out of it for that.