PDA

View Full Version : Really Loud Banging Noise Coming from Rear of my S14

240sxSliderr
11-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Alright whats up guys, I recently bought an S14 and got a new clutch installed and finally got to drive the car. None the less as soon as I drove it I have a banging noise when I put the clutch in, let off gas and to me it sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the rear. Its not a clunk it sounds like someone knocking on your car but about 5x louder (kinda hard to relate it with something). Well before anyone says did you use the search bar, I have. Ive came up with diff bushings, driveshaft joint, control arms, axels etc. I took the car today to my mechanic and he said I need to replace my front mounts for the rear (i dont know what he meant by that but didnt sound to well) and I also felt the car vibrating from the rear (from my perspective) the bang is annoying and I want to get it fixed before any more problems occur then what I have besides this one and some other ones which are easy to fix. If anyone can help me or if you have the same problem and managed to fix it and mind telling me that would be great!! Ive jacked the car up yesterday with my dad to see if we can find anything wrong and had no luck! Thank you for those who can help - Matt

angel mkiv
11-17-2014, 04:17 PM
What Id try is raising the rear up,put some jack stands for safety and have someone looking at it below the car while you start it and try getting it to make the sound again.and pinpoint it then.i had that issue before and it was my ebrake cables hitting the driveshaft after I did my z32 brakes.the only downside to that is the suspension not being under a load and maybe that's when it will do what it's doin.

240sxSliderr
11-17-2014, 04:22 PM
What Id try is raising the rear up,put some jack stands for safety and have someone looking at it below the car while you start it and try getting it to make the sound again.and pinpoint it then.i had that issue before and it was my ebrake cables hitting the driveshaft after I did my z32 brakes.the only downside to that is the suspension not being under a load and maybe that's when it will do what it's doin.

Its worth a try! Having it make that noise is probably gonna br hard if its not under load and I got a preety good amount of camber 2 and its not even on coils, just lowering springs and new struts. Which is also leaving me to believe its rear end issues

bataangpinoy
11-17-2014, 05:00 PM
where in new york are you

FaLKoN240
11-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Check your shock top hats and your rear subframe bushings.

240sxSliderr
11-17-2014, 05:15 PM
where in new york are you

Long Island

Check your shock top hats and your rear subframe bushings.

Will do man ! Thanks. Gonna do Energy Suspension Bushings hopefully!

bataangpinoy
11-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Forward bushings for the rear=

your diff bushings are shot. they will make a clunk/vibration under accel/decel

jr_ss
11-17-2014, 07:41 PM
I have a feeling it's a combination of multiple things. Subframe bushings are shot for sure.

240sxSliderr
11-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Forward bushings for the rear=

your diff bushings are shot. they will make a clunk/vibration under accel/decel

I have a feeling it's a combination of multiple things. Subframe bushings are shot for sure.

Probably, my mechanic definitely said the bushings were shot so hopefully that will solve my problem of the banging and everything. I also have a problem that my struts hit my tires and there on lowering springs, running a 17 inch wheel thats how the car came and it imbedded the front left tire a little bit, looked that up and it can be a camber adjustment on the strut itself or that I should run a spacer. Guys have any input on that also?

SlipperyStatus
12-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Probably, my mechanic definitely said the bushings were shot so hopefully that will solve my problem of the banging and everything. I also have a problem that my struts hit my tires and there on lowering springs, running a 17 inch wheel thats how the car came and it imbedded the front left tire a little bit, looked that up and it can be a camber adjustment on the strut itself or that I should run a spacer. Guys have any input on that also?

Deja vu! Same problems when I got my S14 lol. Does your strut rub against your wheels/tires when turning or when your wheels are straight? Mine rubbed when turning, so I ran 15mm spacers and no more rub, but it all depends on offset. I doubt the camber bolt will allow for much adjustment.

240sxSliderr
12-02-2014, 02:04 AM
Deja vu! Same problems when I got my S14 lol. Does your strut rub against your wheels/tires when turning or when your wheels are straight? Mine rubbed when turning, so I ran 15mm spacers and no more rub, but it all depends on offset. I doubt the camber bolt will allow for much adjustment.

Looks like it rubs when sitting straight I honestly dont know. I replaced my bushings with energy suspension now and theres been a lot of arguements in my household about setting the car up right and having it look good. With ur 15mm spacers did u have to roll your fenders and do they rub against the fender well at all od the bumper?

SlipperyStatus
12-02-2014, 04:18 AM
With ur 15mm spacers did u have to roll your fenders and do they rub against the fender well at all od the bumper?

Fenders were rolled previous to buying the car. But, it shouldn't be an issue, unless you're really low and depending if your wheels are flush or are poking out past the fender already. Pics of how much clearance you have will help me understand your setup better.

240sxSliderr
12-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Fenders were rolled previous to buying the car. But, it shouldn't be an issue, unless you're really low and depending if your wheels are flush or are poking out past the fender already. Pics of how much clearance you have will help me understand your setup better.

When I get home from school I'll try and get a picture and yeah that way you'll be able to understand and actually see what I am getting at. Thanks for the help by the way all you guys for telling me it was also the bushings. They were SHOT!

godsmack
12-02-2014, 02:26 PM
15mm spacers will push your wheels 15mm out away from the car. So if you have 15mm to spare between your tires and fenders you'll be fine.

Kingtal0n
12-02-2014, 02:30 PM
the rear subframe bushings of every 240sx are always shot. Its just a given. Just like TC-rod bushings are always shot. And door panels are always wrecked. And the power steering leaks.

@#()*@(#* I love 240s because thats all we have to deal with, door panels and a few easy to deal with bushings. I still remember burning the skin off the back of my hands just trying to change the spark plugs on my old V8s. No thanks!

DennisC
12-03-2014, 09:56 PM
The problem is the two metal weights bolted to the front of the rear subframe. The rubber tears and the metal weight bangs against the body of the car. Only original 5 spd s14 have this problem.

240sxSliderr
12-05-2014, 06:42 AM
The problem is the two metal weights bolted to the front of the rear subframe. The rubber tears and the metal weight bangs against the body of the car. Only original 5 spd s14 have this problem.

Yeah mines an original 5 speed. I solved my problem and it was definitly my bushings from the front part on the rear subframe. I replaced them with Energy Poly Bushings. Just waiting for my calipers to come to my house for the rear brakes and then I can test to see if it went away.

jr_ss
12-05-2014, 10:51 AM
The energy suspension inserts are only a bandaid for your problem. The center sleeve generally tears away from the rubber webs, which still allows quite a bit of movement in the rear subframe. The only way to rectify the problem is to drop the subframe, remove the old, worn out pieces and install new ones.

240sxSliderr
12-06-2014, 08:46 PM
The energy suspension inserts are only a bandaid for your problem. The center sleeve generally tears away from the rubber webs, which still allows quite a bit of movement in the rear subframe. The only way to rectify the problem is to drop the subframe, remove the old, worn out pieces and install new ones.

I did that hahaha. I got all new bushings installed