PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light on Dash

Sulvoreth
11-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Just bought my first 240. The brake light on the dash comes on and fades out. There is also a buzzing that sounds like its comingfrom the top left of the dash when it comes on. (I checked the brake fluid its full. Unplugged the reservoir sensor and its still on) I tried adjusting the tension in the ebrake to see if that helps and its definitely triggering the ebrake sensor. Im completely lost, and checked everything i was told to check.
Any ideas?

angel mkiv
11-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Try bleeding the brake system..and also do the brakes feel good? No pedal to the floor or whatever?

kruked
11-14-2014, 05:02 PM
How would bleeding the brake system make the light stay off?

OP, if you turn the car completely off after shut down, then turn the key to the acc mode w/o completely turning the car on, then turn the ignition system off, does the light still stay on?

Have you checked the brake switch on the brake peddle?

angel mkiv
11-14-2014, 05:14 PM
How would bleeding the brake system make the light stay off?

OP, if you turn the car completely off after shut down, then turn the key to the acc mode w/o completely turning the car on, then turn the ignition system off, does the light still stay on?

Have you checked the brake switch on the brake peddle?

I've seen when there is air in the system and you have no hydraulic pressure the brake light will turn on since there isn't any brake pressure..also make sure the park brake lever switch isn't stuck and working right.

Sulvoreth
11-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Well the brakes seem like they could use a little work. But the light is off with just the key turned on. When I turn the car on, the light comes on. I did see the plug on the reservoir tank looks bad and seemed like there was some fluid around the plug. Idk of that would trigger it or not. And the ebrake switch works. Ive tested that already.

Sulvoreth
11-14-2014, 07:33 PM
And from what im told it just had new brakes put on not too long ago. But the pedal doesnt go to the floor or feel soft or anthing

kruked
11-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Play w/ the plunger in the reservoir. I believe that there is a magnetic sensor on the bottom of it that transmits a signal.

Sulvoreth
11-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Okay ill try that. Should I be concerned about the plug and brake fluid around that? The plug looks bad and im thinking it might not be getting a connection if theres a small leak around it

Sulvoreth
11-15-2014, 06:06 AM
UPDATE: since its dark out it seems my battery light is on very dim. From what I read could be alternator going bad? Or corrosion on wires. Gonna check then.

angel mkiv
11-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Ok first clean up the master cylinder wiring because that could very well be your problem.you did mention there was fluid around it? Can you pinpoint the leak? Also as for the battery light clean all corrosion on the battery terminals and take your battery to get tested at your local parts store.if the light is still on its your alternator..which again your parts store can test before you buy it

Sulvoreth
11-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Theres seems to be fluid around the plug on the fluid reservoir. And there isnt any corrosion on the terminals that I see. Im gonna replace the alternator fuse. It looks kinda bad.

angel mkiv
11-16-2014, 06:46 PM
A fuse looks kinda bad? A fuse is either working or blown and not functional at all..you should take pictures of what your talking about for us to be able to help you better

Sulvoreth
11-17-2014, 05:02 AM
Well the top platic cap part on the fuse is broke, and it almost looks as if the metal inside is corroded.but its definitely not the ebrake switch. And the plug on the alternator has a connection. Im thinking its the fluid sensor. The plug looks bad. And if the bul. Check relay is bad, would that cause the lights to come on? Im assuming thats where the buzzing is coming from.

kruked
11-17-2014, 08:15 AM
How much fluid is in the reservoir? Did you play w/ the float/strainer like I said the other day?

Sulvoreth
11-17-2014, 01:06 PM
The reservoir is full. And I havent got a chance to mess with the plunger or whatever yet.

Sulvoreth
11-18-2014, 03:42 AM
I believe the plug that goes into my brake reservoir is toast. If I cut the plug off, and strip the wires and splice them together would that turn the light off? It would technically have its closed connection.

Gamma
12-14-2014, 11:53 AM
yo if you still have this problem after all you did with the splicing an the other stuff you did. I would take the dash out but leave it connected, move the wires around an its gonna turn it off. It might just be a wire that was messing up.