PDA

View Full Version : The Purge: Anarchy

Corbic
11-10-2014, 02:29 PM
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.news.tops/NE2WeHYc2gAB58_2_b.jpg

All right, so I missed the original movie (intentionally) but watched the most recent release. I agree with the reviewers, the concept is interesting but the first movie completely failed to use it for anything other than some political posturing in a typical "home invasion" thriller. This is why I didn't watch it.

The second movie opens up the world a bit more to follow 5 different people and how they get caught out in the streets during The Purge. The premise is that in the near future (2023) a new federal Government called the New Founding Fathers of America (NFFA) have found the cure to all that ails us, make all crime, including murder, legal for 12 hours every March. As a result, crime is nonexistent, poverty irradiated and unemployment below 5%.

Meh,

The movie was enjoyable but far from ground breaking. I think it also completely fails to capture the "Concept" and take advantage of it.

For example, leading into the "Purge" that starts at 7pm and lasts till 7am, people are still out and about. If all crime and mayhem are legal... I would have barricaded myself long before 6:30pm. This is also the other bizarre factor. If you look at any natural disaster, Katrina, Sandy etc; these cost BILLIONS of dollars from the economy. Fixing all the damaged buildings, lost property etc. So how is the purge really helping anything? Depopulating? I would think people would sooner accept a euthanasia/sterilization program instead of full on anarchy every year for 12 hours.

So how is letting everyone run amuck for 12 hours improve the economy? Would bands of douche teenagers not be trashing every car on every car dealer lot? Would professional hackers and thieves not be stealing everything not nailed down or taken off-line?

The show really needs to develop some guidelines, like "blue zones". No "purging" in hospitals, Government offices, police stations etc.

Another bizarro feature is how everyone seems to just embrace ritualistic killing and the strange portrayal of Americas wealthy. The show makes them into Satanic Victoria-era caricatures, wearing tuxedos, jewels and furs as they "purge" people at dinner parties.

This is why the show sucks. It's not that it wasn't entertaining, but that it failed to really build on an interesting idea.

I would much rather see a show documenting how people lead up to The Purge. Those planning to finally bump-off their loser husband, make that big-score and run off with the jewelry store diamonds. The mild mannered office working who's been plotting to get even with the B-from accounting who's turned him down and treats him like crap.

The next question is... how does said officer worker return to work the next day and what does everyone say or think knowing he chopped the girl from accounting up? Does life go on or do we have a new group of people plotting and fuming waiting for the next-purge to even the score?

Would developers and companies take advantage? Kill off everyone in a housing district and claim it for them selves? A sort of Salem Witch trial thing.

A massive security industry rises up as neighborhoods higher professionals to set up fences and defend them over the night each year?

This concept seems like it would work much better in either a completely alternative universe where the practice is wrapped around a religious holiday of sorts (Halloween/Day of the Dead) or in a distant dystopian future like Judge Dredd.

Thoughts?

future
11-10-2014, 02:41 PM
I think they still failed with the second one. The first one didn't use the idea right, 2nd one still was not fully done to the whole persona I expected

S14DB
11-10-2014, 06:18 PM
The first one was horrible. Started falling asleep when the kid let the homeless guy in.
I expected more of what Corbic said should have been done in the second one. Looks like a let's try and make the first one better...
I will not be wasting my time with this one by the looks of it.

Sent from my iFad using Crapatalk