PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise / rattle on my 97 KA24de is this normal ?

Toomuchboost12
11-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Car is only weekend Driven its 97 s14 with 123k miles . usually when i start it up the timing chain rattle you hear for about 2 min and its goes away once the engine is warmed up but now i hear a ticking noise what could it be ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG8TUY3_aUU . if you guys would like another video i will do another one no problem . one with sunlight and a view of the bay . the noise sounds like its coming from the valve cover area . things that came to my mind were the the guides or the tensioners thanks for your input if you have !

TheMechanic
11-13-2014, 02:07 AM
check your oil pressure... loud noise on cold starts could be the timing tensioners lacking oil pressure to press up against the chain guides.. what oil weight are you running.. too thick COULD be bad depending on where you live... the second part of constant ticking sounds to be valve clearances... before anything check oil pressure to make sure shes running safe

MurphyWorks
11-13-2014, 01:52 PM
If the ticking noise increases as the revs do then the valves need adjustment. As for the chain making noise on startup you should really address that immediately, like Mechanic said it could be an issue with your oil weight and pressure but its worth a look under the valve cover. It could be that your tensioner is worn or getting stuck. They are not expensive to replace and it gives you a reason to do the valves while you've got it apart.

Toomuchboost12
11-13-2014, 02:13 PM
check your oil pressure... loud noise on cold starts could be the timing tensioners lacking oil pressure to press up against the chain guides.. what oil weight are you running.. too thick COULD be bad depending on where you live... the second part of constant ticking sounds to be valve clearances... before anything check oil pressure to make sure shes running safe i use mobil 1 5w30 High mileage and Im In Ny so the weather changes every week lol but anyway last saturday i took the car out for a drive started it i barely heard any rattling or anything sounded smooth . but yesturday it rattled again but not for long it was around 50 degrees and that Saturday was around 61 . and ill check the oil later tonight and let you guys know

Toomuchboost12
11-13-2014, 02:16 PM
If the ticking noise increases as the revs do then the valves need adjustment. As for the chain making noise on startup you should really address that immediately, like Mechanic said it could be an issue with your oil weight and pressure but its worth a look under the valve cover. It could be that your tensioner is worn or getting stuck. They are not expensive to replace and it gives you a reason to do the valves while you've got it apart. well put . in terms of the rattling it could be the tensioner is stuck or worn as it rattles sometimes and when it does it until the engine is warmed up . but ill def address the tensioner problem .

jr_ss
11-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Have you removed the upper timing chain guide? If not, if start there...

TheMechanic
11-14-2014, 12:31 AM
look for the upper chain guide across the top of the two cams.. autozone has them cheap and its got lifetime warranty.. i took my upper tensioner out and it was full of crap that was keeping it from getting the pressure.. honestly id replace both with the mileage you have.. mine was just replaced so i didnt want to replace it again.. old guy that had the ka before me didnt take care of it too good... i also agree with murphy.. check the valve clearances.. spend the day taking care of that so she runs good

jr_ss
11-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Don't replace it, remove it altogether.

Toomuchboost12
11-14-2014, 03:02 PM
look for the upper chain guide across the top of the two cams.. autozone has them cheap and its got lifetime warranty.. i took my upper tensioner out and it was full of crap that was keeping it from getting the pressure.. honestly id replace both with the mileage you have.. mine was just replaced so i didnt want to replace it again.. old guy that had the ka before me didnt take care of it too good... i also agree with murphy.. check the valve clearances.. spend the day taking care of that so she runs good
Will do man . Plan on doing it tommrow . Thanks for the input . Oil seems fine btw but im going to look into the tensioners and the upper chain guide while im there .

TheMechanic
11-16-2014, 03:59 PM
keep us posted