PDA

View Full Version : SR20 problems

240sx_Dylan
10-31-2014, 05:16 PM
so ever since i got my 240 like 2 weeks ago theres been a problem. if im under 4k rpm's and i floor it, it wont make like any power or boost. but as soon as i hit 4k it feels like a bat out of hell. so i did a pressurized boost leak test today and found a massive leak in the turbo compressor outlet pipe from the gasket. so im wondering if that could be the culprit???
thanks in advanced for the help!

angel mkiv
10-31-2014, 05:33 PM
I would check your timing, clean out the maf with some cleaner and obiously fix the boost leak.also make sure your turbo spins freely and doesn't have tons of shaft play or in and out movement..

240sx_Dylan
10-31-2014, 06:34 PM
newb question. how do i check timing? and i checked the turbo for shaft play and crap the other day and its all good. and what would you suggest to clean the maf?

angel mkiv
11-01-2014, 12:21 AM
The maf should have 2 screws holding it in and remove tho se and pull the sensor carefully and spray it with a bottle of maf cleaner that you can get at any auto parts store..read the bottle for further instructions.

And for timing you want to get the engine at full operating temp, unplug the tps and hook up the timing light to the #1 cylinder.(front of engine). The way to get signal from there is getting a peice of spark plug wire and putting it in between the spark plug and coilpack.then hook up the lead/clip to the wire. Make sure your timing is at 15*btdc. Google it if my "how to didn't make sense"

240sx_Dylan
11-01-2014, 04:26 PM
thanks man i appreciate the help! ill report back to let you know how it went when my gasket gets here.

Kingtal0n
11-01-2014, 05:06 PM
You dont need to use the piece of plug wire, you can clip the timing light directly onto the coilpack like this
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/draglarry/to_clean/P1200499.jpg

be aware: most timing lights have directional pickups. Make sure you flip the pickup both ways, and check to see if the timing at the crankshaft makes sense.
Some pickups will actually have an arrow that points towards the plug.

Sileighty_85
11-01-2014, 07:37 PM
any leak is bad. chance are that is your issue. Replace the gasket

EnergeticPhenom
11-09-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm new to nissan and it Silvia world, but is using cleaners on mafs okay? I know for mitsubishi, it isn't recommended.

Tom N
11-09-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm new to nissan and it Silvia world, but is using cleaners on mafs okay? I know for mitsubishi, it isn't recommended.

Yes as long as it's a mass air flow cleanser.