PDA

View Full Version : s13 wont crank(turn over) when its cold outside

omgwtf
10-20-2014, 06:49 AM
I have a 93 coupe with a ca18det in it. within the last 2 weeks it has gotten a new(rebuilt) starter, alternator, and 1000cca battery(mounted in the trunk). the only thing i have in my car between the battery post and the starter post is a cutoff switch. the car used to be an auto so it has the shift interlock bypassed and no clutch switch or start relay. The problem im having is that when it gets below 50 degrees outside the car wont start at all. All the lights on the dash come on, i get 12 volts reading on my voltmeter display, the ecu connects via nistune...etc. when i turn the key to start the car nothing happens, no click, no dimming lights, noting at all battery voltage doesnt drop off either. this has done this to me with 2 different batteries, i upgraded from 800cca thinking this was the problem. hopefully someone here has seen an issue like this before. when it warms up outside this doesnt happen at all car start perfectly. im thinking maybe a solder joint in the ignition switch idk. i will try and shoot a few wires today and see what i can find. if anyone has solved an issue similar to this please let me know what the cause was. thanks

foreverdeath
10-20-2014, 08:10 AM
if you have the relay and shift lock bypassed, sounds like you ignition switch is going bad if it just wont start in the cold.

omgwtf
10-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I jumped the big terminal on the starter to the small one and it turned over. After that the ignition switch worked. When i turn the key it gives the starter signal wire 10 volts for like a second then it goes to 12 volts. Are the advance ignition switches any good or should I just go with a junkyard one?

omgwtf
10-21-2014, 12:06 PM
might have figured this one out. i put a new ignition switch in the car today and it seems to be working although its much warmer out today. but my turbo timer has now started working like its supposed to after the new switch. Also when i removed the old one the plastic part was loose against the metal part which i believe is where the break down was occurring. if the problem still repeats ill update here.