PDA

View Full Version : Autocross people

TheJDMpanda
10-14-2014, 08:03 AM
I am currently trying to compete in Solo. I own a 93 240sx Hatch, Stock KA, Kyb AGX with Tein S.Tech springs, stock SE's 195/60r15 tires (Going to get wider tires), full interior, eGay strut braces (previous owner gave them to me), and an eGay catback (Previous owner installed it). In process of installing Tein tie rods and new traction rods. What I listed are the only things that have been done to the car. If anyone with experience in autocross could give me some advice, i would highly appreciate it. Specially experience with Kyb AGX's and Tein S.tech's.

Thanks!

e1_griego
10-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Seat time is the most important piece of autocross, then tires.

I'd highly recommend you cruise on over to nissanroadracing and start digesting information :) Lots of autocrossers, there.

zooopreme
10-14-2014, 08:25 AM
I have experience with stock shocks/springs with upgraded sway bars and the car was a fun little boat. I wasn't trying to be competitive or anything but the car was fun to drive.

Seat time is more important than anything. But you've got a decent list of mods right now and I think you should do your first event with your current set up. An upgraded front bar could help you out but it isn't needed.

AGX/S-Techs are a waste of money in my experience. AGX's aren't a good alternative for adjustable damping and they become useless when you pair them with stroke eating springs like S-Techs. As soon as I got money to buy Koni inserts, I went that route and though it was an improvement, the S-Techs simply eat up too much valuable stroke. And when I got a little more serious, I built a Bilstein front coilover sleeve set up.

Shameless plug: OP if you want a good cheaper alternative to good dampers, I have a new pair of Bilstein shock inserts. Had these to build a separate set up from my daily Bilsteins but plans fell through and now they're just sitting out. You could pair with stock springs or build around with coilover sleeves like I did. Pictures and details are in my signature, PM me if you're interested or if you've got any other questions regarding your thread.

e1_griego
10-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Aside: I just bought 4 bilsteins and then found your ad too late! Yargh.

I have a couple friends autocrossing on lowering springs and konis, and if you're going to go that route, sway bars help given the soft rates. When you start going up on spring rates you can go back to stock rear bar (or no bar) and leave the big front bar.

BUT, I'd leave the car alone and start driving. You'll figure out within a few events what the car is/isn't doing well and start adjusting accordingly.

TheJDMpanda
10-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Seat time is the most important piece of autocross, then tires.

I'd highly recommend you cruise on over to nissanroadracing and start digesting information :) Lots of autocrossers, there.

I have experience with stock shocks/springs with upgraded sway bars and the car was a fun little boat. I wasn't trying to be competitive or anything but the car was fun to drive.

Seat time is more important than anything. But you've got a decent list of mods right now and I think you should do your first event with your current set up. An upgraded front bar could help you out but it isn't needed.

AGX/S-Techs are a waste of money in my experience. AGX's aren't a good alternative for adjustable damping and they become useless when you pair them with stroke eating springs like S-Techs. As soon as I got money to buy Koni inserts, I went that route and though it was an improvement, the S-Techs simply eat up too much valuable stroke. And when I got a little more serious, I built a Bilstein front coilover sleeve set up.

Shameless plug: OP if you want a good cheaper alternative to good dampers, I have a new pair of Bilstein shock inserts. Had these to build a separate set up from my daily Bilsteins but plans fell through and now they're just sitting out. You could pair with stock springs or build around with coilover sleeves like I did. Pictures and details are in my signature, PM me if you're interested or if you've got any other questions regarding your thread.

Thanks for the input guys! I highly understand seat time is super important. I am planning on getting help from some older fellas at the autocross events in my area to help me gain knowledge while racing. My plan was to start slow, at a pace that i can control the car and slowly have more gain speed and pace. I think I will take the advice to wait until i have more seat time to get wider tires. Luckily the car came with the shocks, i didnt spend any money on them :) I will PM you zooopreme. I'll also check out nissanroadracing.

e1_griego
10-14-2014, 09:31 AM
If you're really going to pursue the sport, just know that the s-chassis ends up in SM real quickly and the 'builder' classes where you have a LOT of room to mod the car get expensive quickly.

I have yet to chump/lemons/wheel-to-wheel race but I still get a ton of adrenaline from a good run at autocross and it's my drug of choice.

TheJDMpanda
10-14-2014, 11:19 AM
If you're really going to pursue the sport, just know that the s-chassis ends up in SM real quickly and the 'builder' classes where you have a LOT of room to mod the car get expensive quickly.

I have yet to chump/lemons/wheel-to-wheel race but I still get a ton of adrenaline from a good run at autocross and it's my drug of choice.
I'm really not trying to be the fastest atm haha. I want to better myself. And little by little I'll eventually get faster. So I'll stay with minimal mods for now. Haha

e1_griego
10-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Yeah, then just go drive on the AGX setup. You might want to add upgraded sway bars at some point, but it'll be fine for now.

The thing I always tell people who are starting out in autocross is that it's a humbling sport; you're going to suck for quite a number of events. And that little, stock miata is going to murder you event after event. Just be cool with it :)

TheJDMpanda
10-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah, then just go drive on the AGX setup. You might want to add upgraded sway bars at some point, but it'll be fine for now.

The thing I always tell people who are starting out in autocross is that it's a humbling sport; you're going to suck for quite a number of events. And that little, stock miata is going to murder you event after event. Just be cool with it :)
Ahaha true. Someday I'll beat that miata tho [emoji12]