PDA

View Full Version : Help - SR20DET

SlammedCarsUSA
10-12-2014, 07:38 PM
This is a lot, I know.

So I just purchased my first ever 240, and slowly starting to learn. I just got it from the Chicago area and trailered it home. Bought it from another member on here and she is built very well. Its a 1990 240sx S13 Coupe with a built up Redtop SR20DET in it. I started it every couple times I stopped just to let it run since all the bouncing. When I got home, everything was fine, and I drove it around town for a little with a buddy. I stopped at a gas station to talk, and cops rolled up that they got a call about racing, and obviously this car sticks out.

So after I talked with him, and cop thought the car was cool and wanted to know how it ran and started. I start it by turning the key to the on position, turning on the fuel pump with a switch, and then pressing the "engine start/stop button". So it is a push to start instead of a key start. It fired right up, so I let it run a little and then stopped it.

After about 20 minutes, I was free to leave, so I went to start her and nothing. I checked that everything was in the right position, and everything was fine except I had no crank. Monitor told me I have voltage, so it wasn't the battery, and I had power to all the accessories. I had 4 cops help me push start it so I could at least get home. I have spent all day trying to get it to start, checking all the connections and everything. I ended up burning up the fuel pump switch because I'm and idiot and didn't pay attention to how I put the wires on. Genius, I know. But I just fixed that and the new switch now works and the fuel pump turns on.

I was told by the previous owner to check on the battery, 3 connections for the push to start, so I put new wire connectors on 2 of them. I'll try the other one tomorrow when I can get parts. I checked the wires to the starter, which look fine, but hard to see from the top. Again, I'll have to try tomorrow since it started raining and I don't have much room in my garage and the car sits too low to get jacks without putting wood under wheels.

I need help with this. The fuse box has been relocated to the glove box and battery to the trunk. I'm not a techie, but I do know some basic things as this is my first CAR. I have diesel trucks and tractors but that's a different ballgame. I'm out of ideas, and for the price I paid for this car, it better get running ASAP.

Thanks in advance

Fuego
10-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Please break up long posts into paragraphs.

That aside, what are you hearing when you push the button? Is there still a key involved? Have the battery checked and stop starting it just to idle for a couple minutes.

SlammedCarsUSA
10-13-2014, 04:50 AM
Please break up long posts into paragraphs.

That aside, what are you hearing when you push the button? Is there still a key involved? Have the battery checked and stop starting it just to idle for a couple minutes.

I'm not hearing anything, which is why I expect something in the switch.

This is how you start the car:
-Turn the Key into the On position (Not start)
-Everything turns on (I have power)
-Switch the fuel pump up (Red LED turns on, and I can hear the fuel pump)
-Press the Engine Push Start/Stop button (Gets Power, letters light up red)

The switch is at least getting power because when it is dark, the letters light up. The monitor is telling me I have 12 volts, and since all the accessories and the lights work, I don't think its the battery. I'm trying to get it push started so I can let her run a bit. Was supposed to have 2 guys here last night and neither showed up. Whenever I can get someone over, I'll try to get her started the hard way.

Thanks

SlammedCarsUSA
10-14-2014, 08:55 AM
UPDATE:

I have replaced all 3 of the disconnects that go to the battery for the switch.

Going to go by a shop today and see if any of them know how to fix it.

hobbs
10-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Sounds like a clutch interlock relay has gone bad, typical issue with 240s. Was the car 5 speed from factory?

SlammedCarsUSA
10-14-2014, 09:24 AM
I believe so.
Any idea where it is located and how to fix it?

hobbs
10-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Just saw what car you bought, I would go back to the original owner and ask him, the guy you bought it from just flips cars.

SlammedCarsUSA
10-14-2014, 09:31 AM
I messaged the guy he bought it from awhile ago and never heard back. He isn't active. The guy I bought it from told me what it should have been and I have tried to fix it and I thought I did. So I'm probably going to end up taking it to a shop. I'm pretty frustrated.

StephanieDrifts
10-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Try bypassing your clutch interlock relay, maybe your starter since there was no crank.. GL

SlammedCarsUSA
10-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Try bypassing your clutch interlock relay, maybe your starter since there was no crank.. GL

Sorry, this may sound dumb, but how do I do that? I'm new to the 240 scene.

I figured if it was the starter I'd hear something. The last time the car started was last Saturday night, and I started it, turned it off for about 10 minutes and went to start it, and got nothing.

StephanieDrifts
10-14-2014, 01:04 PM
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=106125
I'm not 100% sure if this will help but someone in this forum should have a step by step with pictures you just have to search.

SlammedCarsUSA
10-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Ok Thanks. Just talked to the shop, and I will try to take it to them before I mess it up.