PDA

View Full Version : SR20 and LAPD

jlopez7354
10-08-2014, 09:51 PM
I tried asking in the small questions thread but no one gave me any insight basically I'm debating on getting an SR since I have money and will be smogging my stock car this year but I was concerned with being pulled over by police and having them search the engine. Is it really a big problem here in Southern California where police seize your car for illegal engine swap or not and is getting it smogged when it is time a bitch?

jscherf92
10-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Can't speak from personal experience but from what ive read/heard the big problem is smog. Then don't get caught doing anything stupid. They shouldn't be popping the hood for a regular speeding ticket.

wao138
10-08-2014, 09:56 PM
chp is the kicker more so then lapd or sheiriff

jlopez7354
10-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm going to be doing the star smog by the end of this year and almost have the funds for an engine swap that's why I was contemplating on doing it if I don't I'll just sell my car and buy something else but I'll want to modify that car as well so I see no point in selling it but cops in my area are dicks because all the honda ricers have been racing at night.

ixfxi
10-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Your last name is Lopez
You live in Van Nuys
You drive a 240SX
and now you want to swap a non-compliant motor in it.

Common sense says NO, dont do it. But you know what, bro......... I did it.

I think you should do whatever the fuck you really want to do. My advice: make sure your 240SX is not your only method of transportation.

jlopez7354
10-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Your last name is Lopez
You live in Van Nuys
You drive a 240SX
and now you want to swap a non-compliant motor in it.

Common sense says NO, dont do it. But you know what, bro......... I did it.

I think you should do whatever the fuck you really want to do. My advice: make sure your 240SX is not your only method of transportation.

Getting an sr was always my plan when I bought the car so I think I'm just gonna go through with it I know a couple people with the swap and nothing bad has happened just smogging the car was a bitch I just wanted to get other peoples perspectives

pacotaco345
10-08-2014, 11:19 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e392/pacotaco345/IMG_0018-140816_zps3e41b8c7.jpg
I've daily'd this thing back and forth between TX and SoCal for the past 2 years with an SR in it. Giant shiny front mount intercooler, gauges on my dash and everything. Never had a problem, just don't drive around like an asshole, and don't be one to the cop when/if you get pulled over.

eek
10-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Depends on a few things...

1. How does your car look? Is it riced out? Sticker bombed? Ridiculously low? Just plain ghetto?

2. What kind of driver are you? Asshole cool guy that revs for no reason, burns outs and tries to flex all day long?

3. Is your car going to be super modded and loud?

4. What kind of person are you? Are you a jerk/asshole? Do you look like a punk/trouble maker?

IF you answered YES to any of those questions well there is a high chance a officer will pull you over, pop your hood and cite you or tow your car. In the this GREAT state of CA where they just love car people you will get harassed if you stand out.

If your car is clean, semi-stock looking, you don't drive like a jerk, car doesn't scream look at me I need attention, and your exhaust is not stupid loud you should be able to cruise under the radar and be fine. If you keep the engine bay stock, that's another plus since if it looks stock/oem some cops will not know and let you go as long as you don't fit the "PROFILE" of a trouble maker. Also, IF you get pulled over, respect and courtesy to police officers go a long long way. I have been let go numerous times because I was respectful, and wasn't acting like a asshole.

Aspire818
10-08-2014, 11:30 PM
1st) u stay in the valley
2nd) u stay in van nuys where cops are hot in that area
3rd) lapd n a other agency r workin toghter NOW to stop street racing happening every weekend
http://www.postperiodical.com/lapd-plans-target-street-racing-valley/

I suggest if u want a sr20 make sure ur 240 looks stock as possible n not loud

jlopez7354
10-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Depends on a few things...

1. How does your car look? Is it riced out? Sticker bombed? Ridiculously low? Just plain ghetto?

2. What kind of driver are you? Asshole cool guy that revs for no reason, burns outs and tries to flex all day long?

3. Is your car going to be super modded and loud?

4. What kind of person are you? Are you a jerk/asshole? Do you look like a punk/trouble maker?

IF you answered YES to any of those questions well there is a high chance a officer will pull you over, pop your hood and cite you or tow your car. In the this GREAT state of CA where they just love car people you will get harassed if you stand out.

If your car is clean, semi-stock looking, you don't drive like a jerk, car doesn't scream look at me I need attention, and your exhaust is not stupid loud you should be able to cruise under the radar and be fine. If you keep the engine bay stock, that's another plus since if it looks stock/oem some cops will not know and let you go as long as you don't fit the "PROFILE" of a trouble maker. Also, IF you get pulled over, respect and courtesy to police officers go a long long way. I have been let go numerous times because I was respectful, and wasn't acting like a asshole.
Lol no I don't fit the criteria I just happen to love my car it looks completely stock except for rims and my exhaust it's still has the cat so it's not loud it only gets loud at around 4k rpm but I always drive normal unless I'm up on a mountain road then I only have 1 speeding ticket and that was in my nissan sentra

jlopez7354
10-08-2014, 11:45 PM
1st) u stay in the valley
2nd) u stay in van nuys where cops are hot in that area
3rd) lapd n a other agency r workin toghter NOW to stop street racing happening every weekend
http://www.postperiodical.com/lapd-plans-target-street-racing-valley/

I suggest if u want a sr20 make sure ur 240 looks stock as possible n not loud

Seriously I hate this racing phase I hope cops scare these kids in their Hondas I can't pull up next to a kid in a honda without him trying to flex. I only drive my car to work, gym,school and back. I drive about 15 miles a day and very rarely am I out driving past 10 p.m.

zurud
10-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Why sr? There's so many other compliance engine you can choose from. There's hardly anything special about sr.

gearhead55
10-08-2014, 11:55 PM
This one time i had a car and it was a 240sx and i had an sr in it and then i had an rb in it and i had to pay for smog from some guy but besides that i never had an issue even though i got pulled over a couple times for bullshit reasons like no front license plate and one time for modified exhaust but like other people have said as long as you don't drive like a dickhole and aren't a dickhole to the cop you should be fine but also like other people have said if you have common sense you should be fine but the fact that you don't know how to write coherent paragraphs with commas and without run on sentences i don't have much faith in your common sense.

good luck though.

jlopez7354
10-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Why sr? There's so many other compliance engine you can choose from. There's hardly anything special about sr.
Like what would you do for about the price of an sr swap? It seems like a good choice I'm not trying to make 500 hp I just want a daily driver with decent power

jlopez7354
10-09-2014, 12:10 AM
This one time i had a car and it was a 240sx and i had an sr in it and then i had an rb in it and i had to pay for smog from some guy but besides that i never had an issue even though i got pulled over a couple times for bullshit reasons like no front license plate and one time for modified exhaust but like other people have said as long as you don't drive like a dickhole and aren't a dickhole to the cop you should be fine but also like other people have said if you have common sense you should be fine but the fact that you don't know how to write coherent paragraphs with commas and without run on sentences i don't have much faith in your common sense.

good luck though.

Yeah because grammar and driving go hand in hand right I forgot about the study Stanford did a few years back how stupid of me. Thanks for your insight but I'll have you know I'm a college student who gets consistent A's on my essays I just didn't think there were college professors on zilvia that berated people's intelligence because of some online post.

ixfxi
10-09-2014, 09:28 AM

yeah, other than it being a superior motor that is designed to bolt onto our chassis.

fucking moron

i got pulled over a couple times for bullshit reasons like no front license plate

i didnt understand much of your post, but i will comment and say that the front license plate is the de facto money maker for this state. its the default ticket you get just for getting pulled over, and I highly suggest leaving your plate off (like I do) because when shit hits the fan, and if you are cool, a cop will give you a front license plate ticket instead of: <reckless driving> <modified exhaust> <modified motor> <speeding> <etc>

i've had 32767 front license plate citations. i've only had a few OTHER citations for things like speeding, tint, etc...

i will never install a front license plate....

enkei2k
10-09-2014, 09:40 AM
moved to regional...

Aspire818
10-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Honeslty man u should think of turbo your ka
The ka has alot of potential n if u do get caught up jst take out turbo n put the stock parts back instead of takin the whole sr20, tranny etc. youll b pulling the same as a sr20 jst sayin

jlopez7354
10-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Honeslty man u should think of turbo your ka
The ka has alot of potential n if u do get caught up jst take out turbo n put the stock parts back instead of takin the whole sr20, tranny etc. youll b pulling the same as a sr20 jst sayin

What about reliability is it about the same? I am not to mechanically savvy and lack all the tools to perform the swap so I will be paying a shop to do it for me I think in the end the SR would be cheaper because it seems like less can go wrong and it is faster but that is just my opinion. Plus the SR sells like hot cakes if I ever want to sell my car. Do you know anyone with a turbo KA personally if so how do they like it?

Aspire818
10-09-2014, 03:55 PM
What about reliability is it about the same? I am not to mechanically savvy and lack all the tools to perform the swap so I will be paying a shop to do it for me I think in the end the SR would be cheaper because it seems like less can go wrong and it is faster but that is just my opinion. Plus the SR sells like hot cakes if I ever want to sell my car. Do you know anyone with a turbo KA personally if so how do they like it?

As u said ur gana get a shop to do it..... So all the labor and parts are going to b pretty expensive but if u have the money and dgaf about the pigs then by all means go for it.
I have 2 buddies that have kat n no probelms yet... N by tax season ima do it aswell
Realiability is on u theres lots of info on turboing ur ka,threads,websites etc
Jst rebuild ur motor N find a good kit n ull b pushin more then any regular sr

laurentj23
10-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Ls swap and you don't have to worry abt all that crap.

Aspire818
10-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Ls swap and you don't have to worry abt all that crap.

U still doo eventho its a newer year engine
To meet cali emission laws if u want ls swap u need to make sure u have everything and by everything i mean same gas tank aswell

wao138
10-13-2014, 10:53 PM

okay mr bfe red neck post. just say ls already

lude4life13
10-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Just so you know, and this has somewhat been covered above, they are targeting known street race cars in the valley right now. I have heard of people with pretty stock looking 240's getting pulled over and checked for swaps for the last couple months. I even think they have a book with pictures of commonly swapped motors. They are doing this to try a persuade people to not even want to drive their modded cars at all.

That being said, there is always a chance of that, whether it'd be small or large, which will lead to a ref ticket. If you don't mind paying for that/going through process, go for it. If it would break the bank, I wouldn't recommend it especially right now.