PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on temperature?

Ashchetum
10-02-2014, 08:58 AM
My 95 runs super cold. I'd love to get it warmer so I'm searching for a bit of help. Here's the story behind the coolant system on my car:
Bought the car a couple weeks ago, previous owner had no thermostat in it so it ran super cool, gauge reading just below or inside the "C". I figured this was because the thermostat was not in and the mishimoto radiator was doing its job well. (this is probably still correct)
I went to put in a thermostat and after I did the car would overheat within 3 minutes of driving, after searching for all sorts of air bubble problems (block tester, bleeding ect) I thought it would be the flange that holds on the thermostat because I could not get it that tight onto the block. The threads in the block were striped. After helli-coiling the block and bleeding the system it still over heated after driving. Turned out to be a silly stupid issue, the belt that drives the PS pump, water pump and clutch fan was slipping like crazy. All fixed I now have good power steering and a healthy cooling system, but still too healthy.
Car still runs around the C area and never gets farther up than 1/3 the heat gauge. My AC works great but the heat is still lame.
Any tips??
I think I may find myself an OEM radiator or try the sketchy cardboard over the radiator trick...

KA24DE 5 speed mishimoto radiator

PS: first real post on this forum, if I'm in the wrong section SORRY :(

Primo's Silvia
10-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Hmm that is pretty cool, are u still running the original clutchfan and shroud or electric fans?

Ashchetum
10-03-2014, 01:32 AM
I have original fan and shroud, although I did take my shroud off in an effort to warm it up a little. It seemed to only raise it as far as a toothpick is wide. If that.

Thanks for the reply though, all possible help is appreated.

10-03-2014, 05:40 AM
Did you get one of those "low-temp" or "fail-safe" thermostats?

For the cost, I'd just get a genuine nissan one at the standard temp, the thermostat controls the engine temp, it chooses when the radiator gets to cool it, start there...

Ashchetum
10-03-2014, 07:22 AM
I got an oem one from a parts store rated at 170F, should I go higher?